RMZ KYB vs Showa Rear Shock

Related:
Create New Tag

11/7/2017 3:52 AM

I'm looking to turn my RM250 in an Enduro weapon but only with bolt on parts, so that I can switch it back to a Moto set up when required.

I'm looking to get another set of suspension sorted that I can set up with Enduro settings, that way I can keep the stock RM suspension in MX form so its ready to throw back in when required.

I'm going to use my spare Showa SFF TAC's up front.
But for the rear I am looking at either getting a Showa (450) or KYB (250) rear shock from an RMZ.

Which shock is better? Which is better suited for Enduro?

I've currently got my eye on both a KYB and Showa rear shock, both in fantastic condition and very similar in price so struggling to decide which one to go for.
Any advice would be great!

|

@russ_69

11/7/2017 7:47 AM

I like the showa option, but making sure the fitment is correct would be my only concern. It can all be tuned. But, with sff forks, your spring choices will be limited.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!

11/7/2017 8:06 AM

m21racing wrote:

I like the showa option, but making sure the fitment is correct would be my only concern. It can all be tuned. But, with sff forks, your spring choices will be limited.

Both the RMZ shocks I am looking at are from 16 models. They fit perfectly in the RM, I have ran an Ohlins TTX from an RMZ in the past and many others have used other model RMZ shocks with success.
Also the forks are the Showa TAC air forks. So no issues with springs there. I found them okay for MX but swapped to spring in the end on my RMZ450. I'm hoping they could make a decent enduro fork what with the amount of adjustability and light weight. (They would definitely require a revalve though)
In terms of fitting them I can either bore a stock set of RM clamps or use RMZ clamps, although RMZ clamps have 1mm less offset 21.5mm as opposed to 22.5mm. I'm not sure if a 1mm reduced offset would be a positive or negative change in terms of handling for Enduro use?

|

@russ_69

11/8/2017 10:21 AM

I would say go for it. The less offset would be better in tighter technical situations, but measure frame rake and fork lug offset as well. Sounds like a sick ride. I've always wanted a light 2t bike with air forks.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!