RM 250 Jetting Question

digger
Fantasy
3871st
2/20/2018 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2018 7:54am
Yes, 1.06mm sounds correct for your elevation, but make sure you let him know what elevation you will be riding at, and what octane fuel you will be using. A 1.06mm squish for sea level riding on pump gas, sounds a little tight with out removing a couple of cc to the dome. I have never heard anything bad about RB, and if that's what he is saying for your elevation, go with it.

I just tape up the ends of the connectors with black gorilla tape, so they don't pack up with mud, and then zip-ty them out of the way.

You won't have to buy a new head if you make a mistake. There is enough material in the head to fix it a couple of times, but take your time on the measurements.

BTW, I flew into Denver a couple of weeks ago to go sking in Winter Park. That 9000'+ of elevation is tough to get use to.
lcgordon711
2/20/2018 1:29pm
Thanks for that I'm not sure if I told him my elevation. I will talk to him before I send the parts off. I still need to do measurements.

Yeah its crazy up here. I ride trails with this bike a decent amount too and it its up at about 9500.

Hiking at 12k+ get you winded pretty quick.
lcgordon711
2/23/2018 6:28am
Needle question do I start with the stock triple taper needle that the later year RM's came with, which I think is the NECH? I read that the triple taper can be a little harder to jet and that they are great for "tuners" who want jetting perfect for every situation and temp? If that is the case should I just go with the dual tapers to make it a little easier? Truthfully I feel like I would not be able to tell the difference.

I have the 04 manual I'm not sure what needles they ran but it should have a needle chart in it.
I have the 03 manual on the way so it should show the needle chart for the N8xx ones.

From my understanding each letter means a different diameter in a different place. Its not just go up one needle to be leaner everywhere. Like one needle leaner from stock could have the same two tapers but the straight portion can be a little fatter making it a touch leaner. So then I can see where I am having trouble within my throttle and use calipers to get lean or rich where I want but just right in another area.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
2/23/2018 8:31am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2018 1:52pm
There is no real difference in tuning a duel taper needle as compared to a triple taper. The duel taper needles do provide a different type of power though. For the most part they(duel taper needles) have a harder hit midrange than the triple taper needles. As far as choosing the right needle, it's all about knowing where to start. Make no mistake about it, the needle is the most important tuning aspect in the carb, due to its tapers. Everything else gets tuned around it. I never did ask what type of power you are looking for. I was just assuming that you wanted a broader smoother type power, as i know those bikes were a handful stock.

Yes, each letter of the oem jetting codes , for the most part, has a meaning. The 1st and 2nd letter/number define the needle series, amount of tapers and their angles, N3,NE, N8 etc... The 3rd letter/ # is the clip height or L-1, and the last letter is the starting diameter. Honestly, it can pretty complicated and convoluted sometimes. For example Kawasaki's N3xx series needles are a triple taper and very similar to Suzuki's NExx needles. While Yamaha's N3xx needles are a duel taper needle and are similar to Suzuki N8xx and KTM N4xx needles.

Suzuki's NExx needles are from the later model RM250's.
https://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/suzuki/2007/rm250/carburet…

The Shop

lcgordon711
2/23/2018 9:04am
Thanks for the write up with the information. I will need to look more in depth. Seems the needle is pretty important to get right.

Truthfully I think I want it to hit as hard as it can. At the 5000 elevation mark people say any motor is about 20% down on power from sea level. So I know a 200sx and a 250 have different power characteristics but a 200 2stroke would be 80% the motor size. The way it is right now at least it seems pretty slow compared to my 450 I ride. This could all change if I get it running right. People also say it does good to turn the power valve spring in some. I don't remember how much they say to, I don't pay attention. Maybe I should try that though I may end up liking it. Personally I think lots of power is just fun even if it is harder to ride.

I kind of wonder when tuning and trying to find the right needle sometimes is it better to, say if your in the 3rd clip in the NECH needle, to instead of going to the second clip go to the 3rd clip of the NEDW.

RussB
Fantasy
986th
2/23/2018 1:46pm
Thanks for the write up with the information. I will need to look more in depth. Seems the needle is pretty important to get right. Truthfully...
Thanks for the write up with the information. I will need to look more in depth. Seems the needle is pretty important to get right.

Truthfully I think I want it to hit as hard as it can. At the 5000 elevation mark people say any motor is about 20% down on power from sea level. So I know a 200sx and a 250 have different power characteristics but a 200 2stroke would be 80% the motor size. The way it is right now at least it seems pretty slow compared to my 450 I ride. This could all change if I get it running right. People also say it does good to turn the power valve spring in some. I don't remember how much they say to, I don't pay attention. Maybe I should try that though I may end up liking it. Personally I think lots of power is just fun even if it is harder to ride.

I kind of wonder when tuning and trying to find the right needle sometimes is it better to, say if your in the 3rd clip in the NECH needle, to instead of going to the second clip go to the 3rd clip of the NEDW.

Turning in the power valve adds powervalve spring tension, delaying the opening of the powervale, making for a smoother power delivery. So if you want lots of hit, run LESS preload (turn anti clockwise). This is a very good tuning tool and is free.

In terms of going from an NECH to an NEDW, well you're doing a couple of things at once. An NEDH in clip 3 is 1/2 a clip richer than an NECH, so you will richen your mid throttle. But then going from a H needle to a W needle will lean out your 1/4 throttle position.

Do you have a manual? All of this is explained in there and makes understanding the needles a lot easier. If you don't have a manual then definitely order one.
lcgordon711
2/23/2018 2:05pm
Russ thank you,
Yeah I have the powervalve spring turned out at the moment which is what stock is I think.

I have the 04 manual which I need to go through, not sure if the 04's came with the NExx needles yet.
I have the 03 manual coming, I just ordered it from ebay. I could not find one before, but I know it will have the diagram for the N8xx needles so not what I will want to use. I'm pretty sure I can find a late model RM manual online pdf so I could look through it and print it the needle pages.
lcgordon711
2/25/2018 5:08pm
Little update today. Got the squish test done. Did it five times. Got between 1.70-1.74 mm on all five tests. Also have the slide out. Tomorrow I will box up and get a hold of RB again and hopefully ship out Tuesday.

1.70mm could be why it’s not running quite the best
lcgordon711
2/25/2018 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2018 9:38am

here is a pic of the head and cylinder.

Exhaust side is the black side is that normal? Too rich?

Cylinder walls look good

Any special way to box up the head and slide? Just bubble wrap and put in a box should be fine right?
Thanks
lcgordon711
3/1/2018 6:13am
Got everything sent off to ron so hopefully it all goes well and I get it back soon.
Digger29
3/1/2018 6:53am
Little update today. Got the squish test done. Did it five times. Got between 1.70-1.74 mm on all five tests. Also have the slide out. Tomorrow...
Little update today. Got the squish test done. Did it five times. Got between 1.70-1.74 mm on all five tests. Also have the slide out. Tomorrow I will box up and get a hold of RB again and hopefully ship out Tuesday.

1.70mm could be why it’s not running quite the best
Who are you sending it to?
lcgordon711
3/1/2018 7:17am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 7:21am
RB-Designs, He said he had a 1-2 week turn around and could do what I wanted no problem he said.

Can anybody comment on how the head looks with all the oily substance on top? Is that normal?
digger
Fantasy
3871st
3/1/2018 12:25pm
RB-Designs, He said he had a 1-2 week turn around and could do what I wanted no problem he said. Can anybody comment on how the...
RB-Designs, He said he had a 1-2 week turn around and could do what I wanted no problem he said.

Can anybody comment on how the head looks with all the oily substance on top? Is that normal?
It looks like the bike is running rich, but other wise normal for an oem setup.
lcgordon711
3/1/2018 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2018 11:17am
Cool thanks I hope to fix the black crap that ruined my white rear fender also.

ordered the NECH needle and a 160main. Some how I did not have a 160 in my collection I had a 158 and like 4-162s
lcgordon711
3/16/2018 12:53pm

Got the head back it looks really good. Did a squish test but need to measure it.

Got the carb back together
Rejected at
162 main
Nech 3rd clip
45 pilot
Slide 7.0

Do I need to get a screw with the threads the same as this solonoid thing to block off the power jet?

digger
Fantasy
3871st
3/16/2018 1:52pm
Everything looks good there.

There is no need to remove the solenoid that you have pictured. I leave them right in and zipty the wiring out of the way. Right underneath the plunger part of the solenoid there is a small jet( power jet) that unscrews. That is the passage way that needs to be block with a hex headed set screw.
lcgordon711
3/16/2018 2:40pm
Ok so pull the power jet out and find a small bolt plug thing the same size as it. Could I not find a plug also the same size as the solinoid so I could take that off to clean it up a bit?
digger
Fantasy
3871st
3/16/2018 2:48pm
Ok so pull the power jet out and find a small bolt plug thing the same size as it. Could I not find a plug also...
Ok so pull the power jet out and find a small bolt plug thing the same size as it. Could I not find a plug also the same size as the solinoid so I could take that off to clean it up a bit?
Yes, replace the power jet with a set srcrew, or plug the small hole in the power jet with quick steel or JB weld and screw the plugged power jet back in. Sure you can remove the solenoid and replace it with a small bolt. Don't forget the to use the o-ring from the solenoid on the new bolt.
lcgordon711
4/7/2018 9:31pm
Got to ride the bike for the first time today. Man thank you guys so much!! The bike ran soo good. Started off the day and felt like it had a small rich spot so I went to the second clip position instead of the third and it was just perfect. Man I was so happy the bike has never ran like that. I mean no more power than it had but just clean and perfect everywhere.

Plus I got new race tech springs for my weight and the suspension was sooooo much better. Felt almost like a new bike, well close haha.

Thanks again digger and digger29 for the help. Would have never gotten it done with out you guys.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
4/10/2018 1:06pm
You’re welcome.

Are you using the bike with the power jet unplugged and blocked?
lcgordon711
4/10/2018 2:28pm
I actually did not. did not have time to do it but man it runs so good not sure if I need to.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
4/10/2018 2:37pm
I actually did not. did not have time to do it but man it runs so good not sure if I need to.
If you're happy with it, run it.
lcgordon711
4/10/2018 2:42pm
Yeah it was awesome. I was worried nothing would make a difference but it was perfect. No sketchy moments at all. Power was always there curious how it will do on the trails which is about 9500 feet elevation.

Post a reply to: RM 250 Jetting Question

The Latest