Quick Shifters

skypig
Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 11:42pm
Are they used for MX? (Legal?)

I’m installing the second one, on my latest Supermoto bike (FS450)
Wouldn’t be without one.
|
kb228
2/13/2019 9:49am
Im probably totally wrong here... but i dont see a need for one. Most dirtbikes today will shift if you simply pull up on the lever. If it doesnt, nabbing the clutch will make it happen.

On supersports, yea they make sense because they dont shift as easy as dirtbikes do. Even still, i dont see the need. You can do the clutch trick on sportbikes too.
skypig
2/13/2019 2:13pm
It probably is more of a “thing” on tar, with the more grip making shifting under power much more difficult.
I think the QS is worth about a bike length per shift in a tar drag race.

With every advantage exploited, I thought being able to hold the throttle on the stop and “feed it gears” might be desirable. Especially on the start, and especially on long start straights with 250Fs.

I suspected they might not be legal in MX.
Certainly not alowed in some classes of road raceing. Historic and “Stock” classes for obvious reasons, and even specifically banned in a Sumo Road Race class I was looking at.
2/13/2019 4:26pm
I have seen them in flat track racing. Not sure about legality but I have seen anything to say they are illegal.
GCBC
2/13/2019 6:09pm
I run a quick up & auto blip down on my mv agusta & gsxr 1000. clutch ONLY from a dead stop.

Would love to run a quick up on the ktm 450. Only thing I cant figure out is how to make a linkage rod for the shift lever. there has to be a linkage rod like a superbike rear sets for the sensor to attach so when pulling up the sensor gets squeezed. I suppose you could drill a hole thru the shift rod very close to the fulcrum and mount the sensor to a fixed point above it as long as it will be able to cover the whole stroke of the shifter in both directions, hard to do without a linkage system

should only be around 250$ for a decent stand alone universal push or pull sensor system.

there is a huge benefit to running a quick shifter, ease of use in stress, less fatigue and less wear on parts. also id like to have it reverse shift as it just makes more sense that way.

The Shop

skypig
2/13/2019 6:17pm
GCBC wrote:
I run a quick up & auto blip down on my mv agusta & gsxr 1000. clutch ONLY from a dead stop. Would love to run...
I run a quick up & auto blip down on my mv agusta & gsxr 1000. clutch ONLY from a dead stop.

Would love to run a quick up on the ktm 450. Only thing I cant figure out is how to make a linkage rod for the shift lever. there has to be a linkage rod like a superbike rear sets for the sensor to attach so when pulling up the sensor gets squeezed. I suppose you could drill a hole thru the shift rod very close to the fulcrum and mount the sensor to a fixed point above it as long as it will be able to cover the whole stroke of the shifter in both directions, hard to do without a linkage system

should only be around 250$ for a decent stand alone universal push or pull sensor system.

there is a huge benefit to running a quick shifter, ease of use in stress, less fatigue and less wear on parts. also id like to have it reverse shift as it just makes more sense that way.
QS kits for non linkage bikes are common now.
I have a Starline, and a Healtech. They both use a “piezo” washer on the gear lever and work perfectly.
MX558
2/20/2019 8:00pm
GCBC wrote:
I run a quick up & auto blip down on my mv agusta & gsxr 1000. clutch ONLY from a dead stop. Would love to run...

I thought that way to when I came back to mx from rr but gp style shift wouldn't work as well because you stand a lot more in MX. As far as quick shifters go most likely no need or the pros would have it already
2/21/2019 7:20am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 9:10am
kb228 wrote:
Im probably totally wrong here... but i dont see a need for one. Most dirtbikes today will shift if you simply pull up on the lever...
Im probably totally wrong here... but i dont see a need for one. Most dirtbikes today will shift if you simply pull up on the lever. If it doesnt, nabbing the clutch will make it happen.

On supersports, yea they make sense because they dont shift as easy as dirtbikes do. Even still, i dont see the need. You can do the clutch trick on sportbikes too.
Dude. Have you ever raced/trackdayed a superbike?

Just an example:
Please go out on a track and shortshift while in an corner and use the "clutch trick" Huh
Lets see where you and that front wheel end up.

Or go down the starting straight head to head with another likewise bike but without qs, let's see who gets to the next corner first.

Although, on an Mx bike, naah..
GCBC
2/21/2019 10:00am
GCBC wrote:

skypig wrote:
QS kits for non linkage bikes are common now. I have a Starline, and a Healtech. They both use a “piezo” washer on the gear lever...
I have a Starline, and a Healtech. They both use a “piezo” washer on the gear lever and work perfectly.
can you share a link and some pics? im 100% wanting to do it.
GCBC
2/24/2019 9:27am
GCBC wrote:

skypig wrote:
QS kits for non linkage bikes are common now. I have a Starline, and a Healtech. They both use a “piezo” washer on the gear lever...
anxious to get one on order bud please share
nick610s
2/24/2019 6:10pm
GCBC wrote:

skypig wrote:
GCBC wrote:
can you share a link and some pics? im 100% wanting to do it.
shkapars
2/25/2019 6:04am
As I am from road racing I know benefit of quickshifter. Therefore had interest to install one on crosser. But dealer (friend) of one mentioned above company told me that on crosser QS don't work because if rear wheel spinning and you will shift (read - cut ignition) wheel will continue to spin with inertia and will keep pressure on gear and don't let shift. On supermoto or using on road no problem
OtotheB178
2/26/2019 2:45am
pretty sure DEP did one 'back in the day'.
From what i remember it cut the revs for a fraction of a second to remove pressure. i also seem to remember that reliability was abit of an issue....

2/26/2019 9:08am
shkapars wrote:
As I am from road racing I know benefit of quickshifter. Therefore had interest to install one on crosser. But dealer (friend) of one mentioned above...
As I am from road racing I know benefit of quickshifter. Therefore had interest to install one on crosser. But dealer (friend) of one mentioned above company told me that on crosser QS don't work because if rear wheel spinning and you will shift (read - cut ignition) wheel will continue to spin with inertia and will keep pressure on gear and don't let shift. On supermoto or using on road no problem
Latvia! .
Do you ride or race in spain/Europe? Smile
shkapars
2/26/2019 10:46am
shkapars wrote:
As I am from road racing I know benefit of quickshifter. Therefore had interest to install one on crosser. But dealer (friend) of one mentioned above...
Latvia! .
Not really racing I am road race mechanic. but yes, i am sometimes in Spain, Italy, Czech rep etc. In Slovakiaring once we share box with two fellows from Sweden. Or you are working in Wilo?
GCBC
2/26/2019 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 2:57pm
shkapars wrote:
You realize that on a superbike the QS works with the bike wheels off the ground... your friend who said that is incorrect about his wheel inertia statement

I sent a msg to star lane the other day and haven't heard back yet. ill see if the DEP one is still available
skypig
2/26/2019 6:07pm
I have a Starlane on my “spare” Supermoto bike (KTM 525SX converted) - it seems to work fine in the dirt. Wouldn’t be without it on the tar. Requires rechargeable battery pack to run the unit on the no battery/kickstart race bike.

I have bought, but not yet fitted, a Healtech unit for my Husky FS450.
2/27/2019 2:22am
shkapars wrote:
Latvia! .
shkapars wrote:
Not really racing I am road race mechanic. but yes, i am sometimes in Spain, Italy, Czech rep etc. In Slovakiaring once we share box with...
Not really racing I am road race mechanic. but yes, i am sometimes in Spain, Italy, Czech rep etc. In Slovakiaring once we share box with two fellows from Sweden. Or you are working in Wilo?
(Sorry for the offtopic)

Cool, maybe we meet one day!

I'm racing the catalan open 600 this year (small series) first season racing. Switched from mx last year but I do pretty decent times on my old 600 in contrast to how much time I have ridden.

1.56 catalunya 1.44 valencia
If I'll find a little more speed (read get a better bike/setupGrinning ) I'll hopefully give Spanish championship a go next season.
Stock forks and only got 111@rear wheel so I can't outpower modern 600s even in the slipstream,and beating a trackdayguy on a 2016 moto2 angel nieto bike on catalunya was hard work, those bikes are like rockets!!

Headed for circuit Calafat next, can't wait!! that's the bad part with roadracing, can't afford to ride 2 days a week ? not even once a month during winter?

2/27/2019 2:26am
skypig wrote:
I have a Starlane on my “spare” Supermoto bike (KTM 525SX converted) - it seems to work fine in the dirt. Wouldn’t be without it on...
I have a Starlane on my “spare” Supermoto bike (KTM 525SX converted) - it seems to work fine in the dirt. Wouldn’t be without it on the tar. Requires rechargeable battery pack to run the unit on the no battery/kickstart race bike.

I have bought, but not yet fitted, a Healtech unit for my Husky FS450.
I tried a Spanish qs last winter on a friends FC 450 supermoto (on asphalt only) , he was a test rider but can't remember the name, and he switched brand/team so don't use them no more. I could dig out the name if anyone is interested.

Worked good but was a little sensitive, probably just needed software tuning..
skypig
2/27/2019 11:41pm
I tried a Spanish qs last winter on a friends FC 450 supermoto (on asphalt only) , he was a test rider but can't remember the...
I tried a Spanish qs last winter on a friends FC 450 supermoto (on asphalt only) , he was a test rider but can't remember the name, and he switched brand/team so don't use them no more. I could dig out the name if anyone is interested.

Worked good but was a little sensitive, probably just needed software tuning..
I found the starline QS sensitivity required a tweak between MX boots, and road race boots on my Supermoto.
I suspect the no linkage “piezoelectric” set up operates on a narrower range than the typical sports bike set up with the sensor on the linkage.

Post a reply to: Quick Shifters

The Latest