Problematic 07' kx250f

Edited Date/Time 3/11/2018 10:05pm
problem #1

The other day we went riding and I somehow sheared the bolt off the kick start, still rode the bike and had no issues. The following day we extracted the bolt luckily doing no damage to the shaft. Now the clutch will not work, there is tension on the lever and the clutch assembly moves when the lever is pulled but something is not right. I have read about the plates getting cold and sticking however there is some odd symptoms. The bike will start in N but if I put it in gear it dies. If I put the bike in gear and pull the clutch every kick pushes the bike (literally), If I put the bike in gear and try to push it it obviously does not move, if I stick the bike in gear and pull the clutch it will roll but there is so much resistance it actually turns the motor over! I stored the bike overnight in a temp regulated room and tried rocking the bike the following day still nothing, I took the clutch apart and everything seems to be in order (yes the clutch cable is adjusted and i have let the bike sit at idle and warm up) the clutch basket has no grooves as well.

Problem #2

Since i have the bike apart I am going to replace the countershaft seal, I noticed 2 small chips on the inside of the housing just behind the seal, I am assuming from the previous owner using a screw driver or something to remove the seal. I dont think this is where its leaking but not sure if i should leave it or try and patch it? I know there is suppose to be O-rings on the back of the shaft but I pulled out a metal looking O-ring type think that I cant seam to find online, any ideas as to what this is? (I tried to post pictures but it keeps saying error)

Thank you guys for taking the time to read my post

|
Paw Paw 271
3/3/2018 2:33pm
That thing is the spring from inside the back of the seal it is what puts tension on the seal to make it work.

Paw Paw
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
3/3/2018 3:18pm
You have the two O-rings that sit on the output shaft where they should be. Paw Paw is correct about the piece in your hand...that's the tension spring from your seal. It's supposed to be on the seal itself. A new seal will come with one, and those chips in the case where the seal sits shouldn't cause a leak. They don't appear to be big enough. As for the clutch suddenly not working, no clue. Perhaps you could post up some pics of your clutch assembly?
3/3/2018 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 7:33pm
thank you for the replies, I looked at the parts diagram and did not see that special o ring so thank you. The clutch set up is all stock, I ordered a complete clutch kit today so I hope that does it. I will post back results when I get it installed, Thanks again
3/8/2018 12:47pm
OK Guys I got the new clutch in and installed it with the correct torque settings per the manual (checked them twice). I got it all back together and its doing the same thing. The bike will start and idle fine in "N" but when I put it in gear it dies, I have never replaced a clutch before let alone took the side cover off BUT is the clutch basket suppose to spin? I found the basket does not move a lot, it will rock back and fourth maybe 1/2 inch regardless if its in "N" or gear.... ideas ???

The Shop

harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
3/8/2018 3:12pm
OK Guys I got the new clutch in and installed it with the correct torque settings per the manual (checked them twice). I got it all...
OK Guys I got the new clutch in and installed it with the correct torque settings per the manual (checked them twice). I got it all back together and its doing the same thing. The bike will start and idle fine in "N" but when I put it in gear it dies, I have never replaced a clutch before let alone took the side cover off BUT is the clutch basket suppose to spin? I found the basket does not move a lot, it will rock back and fourth maybe 1/2 inch regardless if its in "N" or gear.... ideas ???
The outer clutch basket should not spin, since the ring gear on it engages with the primary gear on the crank end. I'd take the pressure plate and all the clutch plates off and see if the inner hub turns. If the transmission is in neutral, and the inner hub doesn't turn, you have a transmission problem. Some pics of the disassembly process might be helpful as well. Like fully assembled, side cover off, pressure plate out, all clutch plates removed.
3/8/2018 6:56pm
I can get some pictures tomorrow, the inner hub spins freely and the basket does not spin at all. Could I have damaged something by attempting to rotate the basket ? I am beyond frustrated with this thing as I have no idea what is going on.
3/9/2018 10:18am
Here is the pictures, I spoke with another member who said to remove the basket and put the bike in "n" he said the shaft that the basket sits on should be the only thing moving which it did, he said when I put it in 1st,2nd 3rd etc that the shaft and front sprocket should move which it did. He said that would eliminate a broken gear in the transmission....

Paw Paw 271
3/9/2018 10:37am
The inner hub should spin when the plates are not in place. The basket should not spin as it is connected to the crank via another gear.
It sounds like you may have broken a shifting dog off one gear and it is lodged between two other gears. I have seen this on many 05-08 KX 250F's over time.

Paw Paw
3/9/2018 12:42pm
Thank you "Paw Paw" How can i confirm that a "shifting dog" is broken. I am getting our of my comfort zone and almost ready to just pack it up and take it to the dealer. as I said before the inner hub spins, and the hub does not. This is normal, the bike will go into gear when not running, not sure if that accounts for anything but what should I check next
Tryhard
3/10/2018 7:19pm
Thank you "Paw Paw" How can i confirm that a "shifting dog" is broken. I am getting our of my comfort zone and almost ready to...
Thank you "Paw Paw" How can i confirm that a "shifting dog" is broken. I am getting our of my comfort zone and almost ready to just pack it up and take it to the dealer. as I said before the inner hub spins, and the hub does not. This is normal, the bike will go into gear when not running, not sure if that accounts for anything but what should I check next
only way to know for sure is to split the cases , if it was me and i didnt feel comfortable doing that . Don't take it to the dealer , find a reputable shop .
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
3/11/2018 9:18am
Thank you "Paw Paw" How can i confirm that a "shifting dog" is broken. I am getting our of my comfort zone and almost ready to...
Two questions...was there a washer between the inner and outer clutch basket (there should be), and did you install the ball bearing at the clutch hub end of the clutch pushrod?
3/11/2018 10:05pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2018 10:14pm
Yes there was a washer between the basket and the inner hub then a washer with cut outs to match the crank. The little ball was in a piece that sits between the inside of the pressure plate and the nut holding the hub. I had to open the outer case to get the stupid clutch basket on, all looks however NOW I have to figure out how to get the red fibers from my shop towels out of the case and gears

Post a reply to: Problematic 07' kx250f

The Latest