Problem....with one dang bolt.

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2018 1:56 PM

Hey guys...on my 06' RM 250 , on my swingarm , I have stripped threads going into the swingarm. It's one of the bolt holes that fastens down my chain buffer. I'm going to order a time sert repair kit , but for the life of me , I can't find info on exactly what size / thread count that bolt is. Anyone know? I believe it's an M6 size. It's the large pan head phillip's screws. I don't want to put my rear end back together until I get this part of it fixed.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

12/23/2018 2:07 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

Hey guys...on my 06' RM 250 , on my swingarm , I have stripped threads going into the swingarm. It's one of the bolt holes that fastens down my chain buffer. I'm going to order a time sert repair kit , but for the life of me , I can't find info on exactly what size / thread count that bolt is. Anyone know? I believe it's an M6 size. It's the large pan head phillip's screws. I don't want to put my rear end back together until I get this part of it fixed.

Should have a diagram on motosport,. Oem parts.sizes are on there also.

|

12/23/2018 2:14 PM

Guess you mean this part? https://www.funbikes.co.uk/p2450_pit-bike-swingarm-protector?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgf3gBRDtARIsABgdL3mVtNS6L7CJWEpDWe28Wg_MfFZ4qXUhOnSv9Ix1rFwDOcsZPUmFbAYaAqgIEALw_wcB

Have had to drill some out out on a YZ and CRF and they were M5. Just cleaned up the hole and tapped it for an M6 bolt. The parts fiche will tell you from the second half of the part number for the screw. 06307 is an M6 30mm length hex head bolt for example, and they're all coarse.

|

12/23/2018 5:50 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

Should have a diagram on motosport,. Oem parts.sizes are on there also.

They have a diagram / microfiche of it , but no description of what it actually is. I can buy the bolt no problem , but finding the correct size / thread count is where I'm having an issue. If I look at time sert kits , the actually label them on what they are.

This a pic of the microfiche , which the bolt is part# 14. On that bolt , they don't tell you what it actually is , so " corse thread " doesn't help me , since there seems to be a few different thread counts in the time serts.

Photo

Photo

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

12/23/2018 6:13 PM

If memory serves me the 0508a represent the size 05=5mm diameter, 08= 8mm long and the A represents the type of head. Been a few years since I restored a Suzuki.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

12/23/2018 6:54 PM

It will be the same as the lower screw on the same guide.

Paw Paw

|

12/23/2018 10:39 PM

dkurtd wrote:

If memory serves me the 0508a represent the size 05=5mm diameter, 08= 8mm long and the A represents the type of head. Been a few years since I restored a Suzuki.

I understand the size and length with that.....but shouldn't I be concerned with the thread size? My goal is to be able to use the stock bolt , and not some bolt with a different thread then the other bolt's.

|

12/24/2018 3:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2018 3:18 AM

All of the bolts are metric coarse. M5 coarse is 0.8mm pitch. Metric fine has a pitch of 0.5mm. It isn't metric fine. I looked up JIS standards for you too and a 5mm O.D. thread has a 0.8mm pitch, same as ISO.

https://www.newmantools.com/tech/threadm.htm

If the Timesert is going in the extruded aluminium section you may have a problem. From memory Timeserts are at least 1.5D, which would make a 5mm one 7.5mm long, and the aluminium extrusion is thinner than that. They're designed so the bottom third of the insert expands and locks it in place, which means it won't work. I just drill and tap them M6.

|

12/24/2018 4:44 AM

Check out a thin wall rivet nut. It looks like it may be suitable for this.

https://www.boellhoff.com/us-en/products-and-services/special-fasteners/blind-rivet-nuts-rivnut.php

|

12/24/2018 5:12 AM

Just take the screw to the store and see what nut fits?

|

12/24/2018 9:20 AM

MrHappy is correct. M5 will be 0.8 pitch, it will not be a fine thread. To confirm remove the lower bolt and measure thread pitch.

|

12/24/2018 9:48 AM

dkurtd wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

I understand the size and length with that.....but shouldn't I be concerned with the thread size? My goal is to be able to use the stock bolt , and not some bolt with a different thread then the other bolt's.

Sorry Jeffro, I missed the pitch part. Agree M5 0.8 is what is stock. If it were me I would just tap both top and bottom to M6 1.0 and be done with it, at least then if you ever lost a screw it would be an easy replacement as that is probably the most common screw out there for bikes.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

12/24/2018 12:12 PM

dkurtd wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

dkurtd wrote:

Sorry Jeffro, I missed the pitch part. Agree M5 0.8 is what is stock. If it were me I would just tap both top and bottom to M6 1.0 and be done with it, at least then if you ever lost a screw it would be an easy replacement as that is probably the most common screw out there for bikes.

Very good idea man , and I totally agree. That's what I'm gonna do. Thanks for your help guys.

|