Preparing bike for display...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/7/2019 10:48 AM

Hi guys!

Coming to the end of a bike build and I’m wanting to display the bike in my home.
I have read about what steps to take when storing a bike for winter but I’m wanting to display the bike for a little longer than that so I have a couple of questions.
- Other than fuel, should I drain any other fluids?
- Will the brake fluid be ok in the reservoirs/lines or should I drain those too?
- Any tips or points on preparing the bike which I may have missed.

Cheers

|

6/7/2019 11:32 AM

Id leave everything but the gas. Nothing should be leaking if you built it correctly. Id probably be extra safe and put some kind of mat under the bike to catch anything. But its totally optional - i dont like bikes in the house because of risks like that.

|

6/7/2019 11:35 AM

I would drain the gas but leave all other fluids in the bike. I would put a little oil down the spark plug hole and turn the motor over by hand.

|

6/7/2019 11:47 AM

If its gonna be on display just drain everything. No sense in leaving fluids in a bike that will be sitting for a while on display. All the display bikes I have ever seen never have anything in them because they are not ridden. Also leaks wont happen.

|

6/7/2019 11:56 AM

Alec138 wrote:

If its gonna be on display just drain everything. No sense in leaving fluids in a bike that will be sitting for a while on display. All the display bikes I have ever seen never have anything in them because they are not ridden. Also leaks wont happen.

Draining everything is just asking for bad seals, bearings and surface rust

|

6/7/2019 12:29 PM

drain gas.....put in a dry air filter....good to go!

|

6/7/2019 5:44 PM

Alec138 wrote:

motox331 wrote:

Draining everything is just asking for bad seals, bearings and surface rust

This. Keep oil in it!

|

6/7/2019 7:20 PM

I heard brake fluid actually helps preserve the rubber in the lines and brake seals.
I would leave it in

|

6/9/2019 1:27 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys! Looks like I’ll just be draining the fuel and leaving everything else as is!

|