Powder Coating Frame - Remove steering races or mask off?

MOTO120
Never had a frame powder coated before - having a local auto body place do it (they are well known for how well they powder coat). Should I press out the steering stem races or would it be OK to leave them in and just ask them to mask them off? Of course I'm hoping I can leave them in...but not sure haha.

Thanks!
|
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
6/3/2020 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2020 2:58pm
I pulled mine out and wish I'd asked about it beforehand- could have left them in. Next time I will.
If there's over spray I believe acetone removes powder coating with minimal effort.
kb228
6/3/2020 4:45pm
Even if you remove them they need to mask it off. The bore they fit into is a critical size.
mxracer666
6/3/2020 5:04pm
Leave them in. BUT, they are going to sandblast the frame big time - this is typically done by the lowest-paid person in the shop (he is not going to be gentle or follow instructions) Get a piece of 3/8" all thread (bolt) and a few large fender washers that will just fit into the frame steering head - grind them down to get them to just fit in and use the all-thread to bolt them in and create a "cap" on each end to protect the bearing races from the sandblast idiot. Powdercoat over the whole thing. Take the all-thread out when done!
MOTO120
6/3/2020 8:46pm
mxracer666 wrote:
Leave them in. BUT, they are going to sandblast the frame big time - this is typically done by the lowest-paid person in the shop (he...
Leave them in. BUT, they are going to sandblast the frame big time - this is typically done by the lowest-paid person in the shop (he is not going to be gentle or follow instructions) Get a piece of 3/8" all thread (bolt) and a few large fender washers that will just fit into the frame steering head - grind them down to get them to just fit in and use the all-thread to bolt them in and create a "cap" on each end to protect the bearing races from the sandblast idiot. Powdercoat over the whole thing. Take the all-thread out when done!
PERFECT...hadn't thought of that! Thanks man!!!

The Shop

sandman768
6/4/2020 4:46am
They usually come out very easy with some heat to the outer frame & tapping around the race with a punch...

Post a reply to: Powder Coating Frame - Remove steering races or mask off?

The Latest