Points to CDI conversion XR100

Related:
Create New Tag

9/17/2018 8:07 AM

I have a 1985 XR100 and I’m wanting to change the points style ignition to a CDI. Wondering if anyone has experience doing the conversion and can guide me?

|

9/17/2018 2:28 PM

Now understand that I don't know if the parts are still available, but many years ago I did this type of conversion on an MR50. The parts I used were for this conversion on B&S small engines. It was a simple 2 wire hookup to a box that replaced the points. Simple took the old points plate off. Removed the points and condensor and bolted the box in it's place. It fired up first kick.

Paw Paw

|

9/17/2018 7:17 PM

I’m not too sure, have a feeling they are different cranks and require a different key. I tried looking on ThumperTalk but it’s all these kits being used and it don’t really work that well...

|

9/18/2018 6:51 AM

Never done it. Have you checked with your local dealer to see if the newer cdi parts can be installed/swapped on your model? Seems like the engines would be the same.

|

9/18/2018 8:06 AM

I think the only difference is the size of the woodruff key in the crank. Everything else from the newer XR/CRF100's bolts right up. Some folks buy a stepped key, some grind out both sides of the stock keyway, and others just line it up and impact the flywheel on there (the taper holds the flywheel on, not the key).

|