Parts washer solvent?

newmann
Edited Date/Time 3/26/2018 6:06pm
Got a new parts washer for the house and would like to know what are you guys running? Not looking for any green tree hugging water based shit, we are talking solvent...varsol , mineral spirits, naphtha.

What’s the go to mix these days? Need about 15 gallons.

|
slipdog
3/18/2018 8:47am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2018 8:48am
I was running diesel from the pump the last few years, but I just did switch over to a heated tree hugger blend a few weeks ago. My lungs are thanking me for it already.
3/18/2018 9:11am
Newmann, this stuff is the bomb dot com... $40 for 5gal at Tractor Supply Co. Has a very high flash point too, “just in case”

Casl616
3/18/2018 1:14pm
Been using diesel also. I'm not using it all the time and it's well ventilated so the fumes aren't bad. Works pretty good
Bruce372
3/18/2018 1:28pm
newmann wrote:
Got a new parts washer for the house and would like to know what are you guys running? Not looking for any green tree hugging water...
Got a new parts washer for the house and would like to know what are you guys running? Not looking for any green tree hugging water based shit, we are talking solvent...varsol , mineral spirits, naphtha.

I'll be happy to give you the number of my oncologist

The Shop

Bruce372
3/18/2018 1:31pm
slipdog wrote:
I was running diesel from the pump the last few years, but I just did switch over to a heated tree hugger blend a few weeks...
I was running diesel from the pump the last few years, but I just did switch over to a heated tree hugger blend a few weeks ago. My lungs are thanking me for it already.
I saw a picture you posted and it was good to see wearing gloves. I cringe at some YouTube suspension vids when people have suspension fluid on their hands.

The worst thing for suspension guys is using compressed air to blow oil off parts, it forms an aerosol that's the most efficient way of absorbing oil into your body.

People can protect themselves by using a $30 paint respirator when using carb cleaner from a can.
slipdog
3/18/2018 2:49pm
slipdog wrote:
I was running diesel from the pump the last few years, but I just did switch over to a heated tree hugger blend a few weeks...
Bruce372 wrote:
I saw a picture you posted and it was good to see wearing gloves. I cringe at some YouTube suspension vids when people have suspension fluid...
I saw a picture you posted and it was good to see wearing gloves. I cringe at some YouTube suspension vids when people have suspension fluid on their hands.

The worst thing for suspension guys is using compressed air to blow oil off parts, it forms an aerosol that's the most efficient way of absorbing oil into your body.

People can protect themselves by using a $30 paint respirator when using carb cleaner from a can.
That's why I stopped porting and building motors. Even with a respirator on, the next day after porting a cylinder my eyes would sting and I'd have a headache. My new shop I just about have finished has so much better light with 8 LED fixtures and 3 windows led me to switch to the heated non toxic water based hippy cleaner. The solvent mist in the air I was breathing after cleaning suspension was as thick as fog. I built it into 2 spaces with one room for cleaning and grinding with vent fans and a 2nd clean room for all the valving and assembly. I only take my gloves off to lay out shims and then they go right back on.
pete24
3/18/2018 2:53pm
i use regular home depot mineral spirits in the metal can, if its in a god dam metal can its not good for you but it cuts grease like a mofo
m21racing
3/18/2018 6:03pm
slipdog wrote:
So are mine! Lol
jonboy688
3/19/2018 7:48am
Newmann, this stuff is the bomb dot com... $40 for 5gal at Tractor Supply Co. Has a very high flash point too, “just in case”[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/18/250140/s1200_90E20833_567F_4F77_A8BC_B066F4C25435.jpg[/img]
Newmann, this stuff is the bomb dot com... $40 for 5gal at Tractor Supply Co. Has a very high flash point too, “just in case”

i think i will give this stuff a try, thanks
racer369
3/19/2018 9:24am
newmann wrote:
Got a new parts washer for the house and would like to know what are you guys running? Not looking for any green tree hugging water...

Did this come with plastic bags for the bottom end if so you only need 5 gals of cleaner and around 10 gals WATER! dirt seperates to bottom with water
b_kowalsk
3/19/2018 10:47am
I use castrol super clean. Its a water based and biodegradable but it sure is nasty stuff. Breaks grease and grime off with no issue. It can be rough on anodized parts tho.
newmann
3/19/2018 4:44pm
b_kowalsk wrote:
I use castrol super clean. Its a water based and biodegradable but it sure is nasty stuff. Breaks grease and grime off with no issue. It...
I use castrol super clean. Its a water based and biodegradable but it sure is nasty stuff. Breaks grease and grime off with no issue. It can be rough on anodized parts tho.
That stuff stripped all the finish out of my junk parts washer, rusted up the pump and the springs holding the lid up. Not good on magnesium and even screws up aluminum. This isn't something I'll be using on a daily basis and wanting to stick with a solvent based cleaner. I had been using mineral spirits in my old tank since the water based stuff killed it but with no pump it was nothing more than a soak tank. This one has a pretty simple yet bad ass filter setup in it so I should be circulating clean, debris free solvent any time I need it.
newmann
3/19/2018 4:49pm
newmann wrote:

Bruce372 wrote:
I'll be happy to give you the number of my oncologist
What solvent does he use in his parts washer?

I too have multiple different choices of gloves here, not only at work but also at the house for pretty much any chore. Eyepro and paint respirators are also pretty much at arms length any time I need them. I buy latex gloves by the case. Solvent gloves by the dozens. Wink
newmann
3/19/2018 4:54pm
slipdog wrote:
Bruce372 wrote:
I saw a picture you posted and it was good to see wearing gloves. I cringe at some YouTube suspension vids when people have suspension fluid...

slipdog wrote:
That's why I stopped porting and building motors. Even with a respirator on, the next day after porting a cylinder my eyes would sting and I'd...
That's why I stopped porting and building motors. Even with a respirator on, the next day after porting a cylinder my eyes would sting and I'd have a headache. My new shop I just about have finished has so much better light with 8 LED fixtures and 3 windows led me to switch to the heated non toxic water based hippy cleaner. The solvent mist in the air I was breathing after cleaning suspension was as thick as fog. I built it into 2 spaces with one room for cleaning and grinding with vent fans and a 2nd clean room for all the valving and assembly. I only take my gloves off to lay out shims and then they go right back on.
What about a grinding table with a mesh surface and filter /vent fan under it downdraft style? Planning on incorporating something like that into my future workbench. Slip a solid stainless top over it when not in use.
slipdog
3/19/2018 7:00pm
newmann wrote:
What about a grinding table with a mesh surface and filter /vent fan under it downdraft style? Planning on incorporating something like that into my future...
What about a grinding table with a mesh surface and filter /vent fan under it downdraft style? Planning on incorporating something like that into my future workbench. Slip a solid stainless top over it when not in use.
That's a pretty good idea!

I'm in the middle of finishing my new shop and I have a 3500CFM whole house fan going in with an intake in each section of the shop and was planning on installing a 48" 1200CFM exhaust vent hood over the bench next to the parts washer that will be where I use the compressed air for cleaning.
slipdog
3/19/2018 7:25pm
slipdog wrote:
m21racing wrote:
So are mine! Lol
I should have just bought your hippy parts washer you were selling instead of building my own. But, like my dad always told me, "you sure as shit like to do thing the hard way, don't ya!"
m21racing
3/19/2018 7:36pm
slipdog wrote:
m21racing wrote:
So are mine! Lol
slipdog wrote:
I should have just bought your hippy parts washer you were selling instead of building my own. But, like my dad always told me, "you sure...
I should have just bought your hippy parts washer you were selling instead of building my own. But, like my dad always told me, "you sure as shit like to do thing the hard way, don't ya!"
Lol. That stuff is only good on tubes. All the internals I still used air and suspension clean. I thought it was a sham for how quickly it evaporates.
mx317
3/20/2018 9:10am
I second the parts fluid from Tractor Supply.
newmann
3/20/2018 3:14pm
mx317 wrote:
I second the parts fluid from Tractor Supply.
From the comments on the website it appears to be a Crown product, Naptha based. I have a supplier close by for the same type product. Should leave things clean with minimal oily residue. Will be a while before I get it setup where it needs to be.
3/21/2018 5:36am
newmann wrote:

That Parts Washer was built right around the corner from me Build-all.com Excellent productSmile
Digger29
3/21/2018 7:04am
I uses odorless mineral spirits in mine. Works amazing and has very little smell and I've had the same 15 gals in there for like 15yrs and it still works perfect. I know from experience that Castrol super works great but is tough on anodized parts though.
newmann
3/21/2018 8:08am
Digger29 wrote:
I uses odorless mineral spirits in mine. Works amazing and has very little smell and I've had the same 15 gals in there for like 15yrs...
I uses odorless mineral spirits in mine. Works amazing and has very little smell and I've had the same 15 gals in there for like 15yrs and it still works perfect. I know from experience that Castrol super works great but is tough on anodized parts though.
Yeah, but you are always working on nice new stuff. You should see some of the shit that comes out of my projects.Woohoo I've been using mineral spirits the past decade myself.
bvm111
3/24/2018 1:55pm
slipdog wrote:
m21racing wrote:
So are mine! Lol
slipdog wrote:
I should have just bought your hippy parts washer you were selling instead of building my own. But, like my dad always told me, "you sure...
that's funny... my dad said the same thing to me!!!!

DTHA70
3/25/2018 9:53am
Newmann!

If I remember correctly, you're In AZ???

There is a solvent supplier down on Broadway and 7th street-ish called solvent recy-clean

They have dozens of options but I just use their "recycled mix" which cleans like magic and dries a bit slow but won't leave oily residue.

Swing by there during the week and they'll give you a run down of all your options. Really nice people.
rob162
3/25/2018 3:37pm
DTHA70 wrote:
Newmann! If I remember correctly, you're In AZ??? There is a solvent supplier down on Broadway and 7th street-ish called solvent recy-clean They have dozens of...
Newmann!

There is a solvent supplier down on Broadway and 7th street-ish called solvent recy-clean

They have dozens of options but I just use their "recycled mix" which cleans like magic and dries a bit slow but won't leave oily residue.

Swing by there during the week and they'll give you a run down of all your options. Really nice people.
Second this when I lived in AZ I was running one of the junk yards down there an delt with them a lot. Good guys and are always looking to help out.
newmann
3/25/2018 9:27pm
DTHA70 wrote:
Newmann! If I remember correctly, you're In AZ??? There is a solvent supplier down on Broadway and 7th street-ish called solvent recy-clean They have dozens of...
Newmann!

Southeast Texas. I picked up 15 gallons (all they had in stock) locally of what is probably the same mix as the TSC solvent. Got a couple more fives on the way.
eeazye
3/26/2018 5:04pm
Say what you will about the tree hugger cleaner but the stuff works great. I just filled mine with the simple green purple stuff and put a 1000 watt bucket heater in the tank. It works really well. I plug in the heater a couple hours before I plan on using it. Have been using it to clean up parts on a project bike that was seriously neglected. Rinse everything completely in clean water. The way some people take care of their equipment is beyond me. That’s another thread...

At any rate that cleaner does a really good job, smells nice and it’s cheap. I’m not bothering to do an extra filter clean, when its too dirty I’ll just dump it and replace.

Try it out, you will be surprised.
Micahdogg
3/26/2018 5:58pm
I need to get a parts washer, you guys are making me jealous
m21racing
3/26/2018 6:06pm
eeazye wrote:
Say what you will about the tree hugger cleaner but the stuff works great. I just filled mine with the simple green purple stuff and put...
Say what you will about the tree hugger cleaner but the stuff works great. I just filled mine with the simple green purple stuff and put a 1000 watt bucket heater in the tank. It works really well. I plug in the heater a couple hours before I plan on using it. Have been using it to clean up parts on a project bike that was seriously neglected. Rinse everything completely in clean water. The way some people take care of their equipment is beyond me. That’s another thread...

At any rate that cleaner does a really good job, smells nice and it’s cheap. I’m not bothering to do an extra filter clean, when its too dirty I’ll just dump it and replace.

Try it out, you will be surprised.
Mine was the ozzy juice bioremediating heated washer. 5 gal costs 85.00, and I needed 25 gal of that stuff. Lol simple green much cheaper. Mine was too big for my usage.

Post a reply to: Parts washer solvent?

The Latest