PWK38 with powerjet.....how do i remove the powerjet?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/3/2019 1:39 PM

I'm assuming this has been covered before but i'm not getting anything via search,
I've just got a PWK38 for my KTM 250sx (popular mod) and i was wondering how do remove the powerjet. I'd like to throw a set screw in there but i can't find any schematics on how it's removed......
Also can i just leave the actuating arm in place or will it produce unecessary drag on the throttle pull?

Many Thanks
Ben

|

1/3/2019 1:56 PM

OtotheB178 wrote:

I'm assuming this has been covered before but i'm not getting anything via search,
I've just got a PWK38 for my KTM 250sx (popular mod) and i was wondering how do remove the powerjet. I'd like to throw a set screw in there but i can't find any schematics on how it's removed......
Also can i just leave the actuating arm in place or will it produce unecessary drag on the throttle pull?

Many Thanks
Ben

I've found the pick up for it in the float bowl, is it better to block it at the bowl or the main body of the carb?

|

1/3/2019 2:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2019 3:02 PM

Unscrew the power jet(the small jet itself) from the carb body, The jet(small) is located right under the plunger, and fill the small hole in the jet itself with solder or quick steel, if you can't get the appropriate hex headed set screw. Screw the jet back into the carb when finished, and that's it. I leave everything else attached to the carb. You will not notice that TPS arm at all.

|

1/4/2019 12:04 PM

digger wrote:

Unscrew the power jet(the small jet itself) from the carb body, The jet(small) is located right under the plunger, and fill the small hole in the jet itself with solder or quick steel, if you can't get the appropriate hex headed set screw. Screw the jet back into the carb when finished, and that's it. I leave everything else attached to the carb. You will not notice that TPS arm at all.

so the power jet is under the the plunger, how does this come out? Also am i removing the Jet that's in the bell opening or am i just plugging the jet under the plunger?

Photo

|

1/4/2019 12:42 PM

the physical powerjet itself is down in the seal rail area of the bowl. Take the float bowl off, look at the carb, you'll see the side jog for the PJ. I believe what is being recommended to you to do is to remove that jet, place some solder up in the passage, then reinstall the jet. I am not 100% certain thats what you're being told to do, i've never removed one, however thats where the actual powerjet itself is that you can change to various sizes.

|

1/4/2019 1:08 PM

dmm698 wrote:

the physical powerjet itself is down in the seal rail area of the bowl. Take the float bowl off, look at the carb, you'll see the side jog for the PJ. I believe what is being recommended to you to do is to remove that jet, place some solder up in the passage, then reinstall the jet. I am not 100% certain thats what you're being told to do, i've never removed one, however thats where the actual powerjet itself is that you can change to various sizes.

yeah that's what i thought......

I just had a spot of luck, I found the set screw that holds the door lock on is exactly the right size.......so i swapped it out and i now have a powerjet holding the door lock on and the set screw in my carb.

Missus looked at me like i'd crapped in my hands and clapped mind you!

Thanks Digger and DMM698! You've both been a great help

|

1/4/2019 1:10 PM

Take the carb off the bike.

Turn the carb upside down and remove the float bowl.

Remove part #27 and replace it with appropriately sized set screw.

Do not use solder, epoxy, or other goop. I say this because a set screw is more easy to get out should you decide to use the powerjet again.

That is all it takes. Do not mess with any other parts in the throat or elsewhere.

Photo

|

Powerband in every gear !

1/4/2019 4:11 PM

FGR01 wrote:

Take the carb off the bike.

Turn the carb upside down and remove the float bowl.

Remove part #27 and replace it with appropriately sized set screw.

Do not use solder, epoxy, or other goop. I say this because a set screw is more easy to get out should you decide to use the powerjet again.

That is all it takes. Do not mess with any other parts in the throat or elsewhere.

Photo

You don't put the solder, or quick steal, in carb itself. You only need a very small amount to fill the hole in the power jet itself. Remove the jet, fill the hole in the jet, let dry, reinstall the filled jet back into the carb. This is only for people that don't have access to the correct metric set screw.

|

1/10/2019 3:02 PM

dmm698 wrote:

OtotheB178 wrote:

yeah that's what i thought......

I just had a spot of luck, I found the set screw that holds the door lock on is exactly the right size.......so i swapped it out and i now have a powerjet holding the door lock on and the set screw in my carb.

Missus looked at me like i'd crapped in my hands and clapped mind you!

Thanks Digger and DMM698! You've both been a great help

Ride report? YZ250 slide work okay?

|

KTM250SX YZ125 YZ85 PW80 ZX6 FZX700