PW50 won't start without starting fluid

melanie
I'm new to the pw game and I got this little bike for free not running. I've got it to the point that I can get it to start but only if I spray starter fluid in it and then it will only stay running if the throttle is pegged and it sounds like it's under water. I've cleaned the carb, new plug, new oil and gas... where should I start looking for problems guys.... any advice?
|
Paw Paw
8/11/2017 3:08pm
It sure sounds like a plugged carb jet.
Did you remove, take apart and soak the carb?

Paw Paw
melanie
8/11/2017 3:14pm
Actually yeah I just got done cleaning the heck out of the carb and got it to start unassisted by fluid and adjusted it so it idles now which it wouldn't do before. Still runs a little unhealthy tho. And it's smokin. I was thinking maybe a head gasket problem? I was also going to check the reeds....
rmoto003
8/11/2017 3:37pm
When you say you cleaned the carb, did you actually disassemble it and clean it?

*Not trying to be a dick*
melanie
8/11/2017 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 4:35pm
Lol yes I did. Took all the jets out, tested the float... etc. all I've been doing lately is cleaning carbs. Removed every piece that could come off and sprayed the hell out of it

The Shop

bf884
8/11/2017 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 7:21pm
Unplug the triple wire plug that comes from the throttle housing. Leave the other two single wires connected. This will eliminate you start/run mode and will function like a regular bike. That feature is a major issue on that bike. That should do the trick.
8/11/2017 8:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 8:14pm
Smoking ? PW's are notorious for carboning up the exhaust system. Pull the pipe ,clean the exhaust port opening. Position the piston to block the port, so the carbon does not fall into the engine.

The pipe needs to be cooked. Oxy / acetylene torch is the best way. A MAP gas bottle from the hardware store will do a fair job. Starting at the head pipe, got to heat the pipe cherry red, turn off the acetylene, blow the oxygen through the pipe. This will carry the heat through the length of the pipe. Clean the baffle as well.

PW's never run real clean. A carboned exhaust makes them run like caak.
melanie
8/12/2017 1:03am
Smoking ? PW's are notorious for carboning up the exhaust system. Pull the pipe ,clean the exhaust port opening. Position the piston to block the port...
Smoking ? PW's are notorious for carboning up the exhaust system. Pull the pipe ,clean the exhaust port opening. Position the piston to block the port, so the carbon does not fall into the engine.

The pipe needs to be cooked. Oxy / acetylene torch is the best way. A MAP gas bottle from the hardware store will do a fair job. Starting at the head pipe, got to heat the pipe cherry red, turn off the acetylene, blow the oxygen through the pipe. This will carry the heat through the length of the pipe. Clean the baffle as well.

PW's never run real clean. A carboned exhaust makes them run like caak.
Oh okay, I've never heard of doing that. Yeah my other pw doesn't run super clean either but it's wayyyyy better than this one and I think as good as these little bikes get. This one sat outside for 3 years before I got a hold of it.
melanie
8/12/2017 1:04am
bf884 wrote:
Unplug the triple wire plug that comes from the throttle housing. Leave the other two single wires connected. This will eliminate you start/run mode and will...
Unplug the triple wire plug that comes from the throttle housing. Leave the other two single wires connected. This will eliminate you start/run mode and will function like a regular bike. That feature is a major issue on that bike. That should do the trick.
Never heard of that either lol I'll do that to both mine!

Post a reply to: PW50 won't start without starting fluid

The Latest