PW50 spark plug boot problems

Troop4Christ
Edited Date/Time 11/18/2019 9:54am
So I've got an old PW50 for my kids and we have this problem with the boot getting knocked off the plug by the front tire when the suspension compresses all the way.

It looks like maybe the aftermarket boot on there might be too tall or something.. any one else experience this? Should I just get an OEM coil and boot? Is there that much difference in sizing out there?
|
kb228
11/6/2019 4:15am
I dont know if the boot is a problem.

Is it time for the kids to upgrade to a 65 or at least stiffer springs on the pw?

Im thinking the forks are just plain worn out.
11/6/2019 6:08am
Check the steering stem bearings and bearing races / cups. The bottom one is probably cracked if the bike has been jumped at all, allowing the front wheel to make the contact. If you don't catch it soon, the frame will be so distorted that it will not hold the lower race any longer.
SLOWTIME
11/7/2019 11:04am
I had the same problem. Oem boots are made of hard plastic and would explode when the front wheel would just slightly contact it on a big hit. I went through 3 before I went on the pwonly site and bought their rubber splitfire boots. I haven’t had a problem since. The boot will come with the coil wire. Just unscrew the boot, and screw it onto your existing coil wire and secure it with a zip tie. Also, check to see if your forks are bent back at all.

The Shop

Troop4Christ
11/12/2019 9:26am
kb228 wrote:
I dont know if the boot is a problem. Is it time for the kids to upgrade to a 65 or at least stiffer springs on...

Is it time for the kids to upgrade to a 65 or at least stiffer springs on the pw?

Thought about that.. but seems odd to design a bike w/ geometry that would allow the tire to interfere w/ the plug like that, even w/ the shocks completely compressed? Is it really designed that way? 🤔
SLOWTIME
11/12/2019 1:43pm
kb228 wrote:
I dont know if the boot is a problem. Is it time for the kids to upgrade to a 65 or at least stiffer springs on...

Thought about that.. but seems odd to design a bike w/ geometry that would allow the tire to interfere w/ the plug like that, even w/...
Thought about that.. but seems odd to design a bike w/ geometry that would allow the tire to interfere w/ the plug like that, even w/ the shocks completely compressed? Is it really designed that way? 🤔
I’ve gone through 5 sets of forks during our pw time. Even the ones that didn’t get bent backwards, would still get sloppy over time. We would get back and fourth play.. just enough for it to contact the plug boot on big impacts.

Here’s the splitfire cap on the stock coil. Zip ties seemed to help keep it snug/water tight. The tape I have on there is for an hour meter so disregard it.

Just for giggles I’ll post these.

Troop4Christ
11/17/2019 12:09pm
The red one says "splitfire" on the wire.. guessing this is it, @slowtime?

https://pwonly.com/product/high-performance-spark-plug-wire-cap/
SLOWTIME wrote:
That’s the one!
I've got the new plug in the mail! It's def more like a pliable rubber boot. I'll get it installed and let y'all know if that solves the problem.

Thanks!
11/18/2019 9:54am
I bought a used pw50 with the same issue. Grandkids wanted to ride so I needed a quick fix. The local NAPA store had a red rubber right angle boot that works great and was cheap. I think it was a belden part.

Post a reply to: PW50 spark plug boot problems

The Latest