PW50.... another wont start

rucka356
Edited Date/Time 11/4/2018 9:09pm
Bought this 2003 in June and my little girl wasnt too excited about it so it's not been ridden much. Got it out then other day and it wouldn't start. When I kick with choke on it will occasionally run for about 5 seconds and then die out. I will need to fix the kickstarter as the kick starter spring is broken as well. When I check plug it's getting plenty of gas, even swapped plugs. So far I have cleaned the carb, new spark plug, new spark plug cap, fresh gas, and added seafoam in tank( drained carb and pushed some into carb from tank. Dam thing still wont stay running. The last time she rode it the throttle stuck and it scared her pretty good, so when it got put up it was running...

|
JB500
11/3/2018 8:44pm
How well did you clean the carb? I ask because it really takes a good thorough job with each component to be sure it’s not gummed up or blocked anymore. I’ll generally use carb cleaner and compressed air with each jet/piece of the carb, and to go a step further can use welding tip cleaners to be sure jets are really open. Otherwise it sounds like a fuel or air issue if you are getting good spark...unless there is something up with the start/run switch.
rucka356
11/3/2018 9:50pm
I'll take it apart again tomorrow and give it another try
rucka356
11/4/2018 12:27pm
Welp, cleaned the carb again, fired up for a little longer but what was really odd was it tried to take off in the start mode...... Now it's back to barely starting and stalling out 3-5 seconds after starting

The Shop

11/4/2018 12:47pm
Did you wash it before it got put away for that period of time ? Squirt a little WD 40 down into the slot of the switch. Probably not the cure for the running issues, but may get the switch operating . They act funny when the electrics get wet, but I usually get results from just a squirt of WD to the switch.

Is the petcock flowing, vent lines not pinched / clogged? Tank venting ?
11/4/2018 12:58pm
Ever figure out why the throttle stuck ? Air leak on the dry side crank seal is common on the PW. May have lost a seal , leaned out to mimick a stuck throttle. Most of the time, they won't even pop with a bad seal, though.
rucka356
11/4/2018 5:54pm
Ever figure out why the throttle stuck ? Air leak on the dry side crank seal is common on the PW. May have lost a seal...
Ever figure out why the throttle stuck ? Air leak on the dry side crank seal is common on the PW. May have lost a seal , leaned out to mimick a stuck throttle. Most of the time, they won't even pop with a bad seal, though.
Grip never sprung back to no throttle when she took her hand off. Need to give it a good cleaning and lots of wd40. Finally got it running pretty good late today. Think I didnt get the pilot jet cleaned out good before, but still need to investigate the switch . I washed it several months ago but that's it, not the last time I used it. I will definitely spray it though with wd40. Thanks
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/4/2018 9:09pm
Ever figure out why the throttle stuck ? Air leak on the dry side crank seal is common on the PW. May have lost a seal...
rucka356 wrote:
Grip never sprung back to no throttle when she took her hand off. Need to give it a good cleaning and lots of wd40. Finally got...
Grip never sprung back to no throttle when she took her hand off. Need to give it a good cleaning and lots of wd40. Finally got it running pretty good late today. Think I didnt get the pilot jet cleaned out good before, but still need to investigate the switch . I washed it several months ago but that's it, not the last time I used it. I will definitely spray it though with wd40. Thanks
Next time dint even waste your time cleaning the jets. They never really get completely clean. For a few bucks, it’s worth replacing them and you are guaranteed the hole is clear. I worked at a shop for years ans we never bothered cleaning the jets. For $3-$6 it wasn’t worth the hassle. Oh and all the other shops around my area do the same thing. Just replace them.

Post a reply to: PW50.... another wont start

The Latest