PC Works Pipe Restoration - Updated

DaBaum44
Edited Date/Time 4/23/2020 10:09am
Looking for some advice on restoring my Pro Circuit Works pipe that was included with my YZ 125. I've read other threads and watched videos, however they seem to trend trend towards rust removal. In my case, the pipe appears to have already been sand blasted, as it is rust free and a flat grey color.

Any Vital members have a trick to restore this pipe back to the raw metal look? Do I just need to go over it with a wire wheel?

Thanks.
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/22/2018 3:07pm
few options...

Sanding block, wd-40 and green scotch brite
Send it to pipe repair
50/50 bleach and water with steel wool or brilo pad
Rickyisms
8/22/2018 3:44pm
make sure to torch the welds too after you get it back to its original color.
kb228
8/22/2018 5:34pm
IMO the pipe was kindof ruined with the sand blasting. Youll have to polish it to get the original surface finish back. Id try a scotch brite wheel on a bench grinder first and then go from there with finer grit sandpaper.

The Shop

8/22/2018 7:33pm
Sand blasted my FMF Factory Fatty and it looked like that. Lots of scrubbing with the above methods. Torched and wd40 after and this is the end result. Lots of work but it’s worth it
sandman768
8/23/2018 5:50am
That will come right back to life with a red scotchbrite pad & sanding....good arm Workout too....
DaBaum44
8/23/2018 6:15pm
Thanks everyone! I'll give the scotch brite a go, and if it turns out good I'll post pictures.
DaBaum44
8/23/2018 6:17pm
Sand blasted my FMF Factory Fatty and it looked like that. Lots of scrubbing with the above methods. Torched and wd40 after and this is the...
Sand blasted my FMF Factory Fatty and it looked like that. Lots of scrubbing with the above methods. Torched and wd40 after and this is the end result. Lots of work but it’s worth it
Pipe looks sweet! Definitely one of the cleanest bikes around! I'll have to stop by and talk sometime. I see you at Pusheta Creek and Mx Express every now and then.
8/23/2018 6:43pm
Sand blasted my FMF Factory Fatty and it looked like that. Lots of scrubbing with the above methods. Torched and wd40 after and this is the...
DaBaum44 wrote:
Pipe looks sweet! Definitely one of the cleanest bikes around! I'll have to stop by and talk sometime. I see you at Pusheta Creek and Mx...
Pipe looks sweet! Definitely one of the cleanest bikes around! I'll have to stop by and talk sometime. I see you at Pusheta Creek and Mx Express every now and then.
Thanks man. Yeah anytime come on over and have a chat! I’ll be at Pusheta Creek with the new 250F on Sunday
Lightning78
8/25/2018 4:06am
Has anyone here ever successfully stripped the Chrome nickel plating of and if a FMF FATTY pipe? I got one on my kx250 that's is flawless shape but an area the size of my hand,,, in a random spot for no season has peeled off like a sticker and I wanna strip it all the way down and have it bare metal
DaBaum44
8/25/2018 8:59am
Thanks man. Yeah anytime come on over and have a chat! I’ll be at Pusheta Creek with the new 250F on Sunday
Sounds good. I'm thinking Pusheta Creek is going to be rained out tomorrow, so I'm probably going to wait out this week.
DaBaum44
8/25/2018 9:08am
Rainy day update. I tried to sand the pipe down with a green scotch brite and it was taking forever, so I decided to bust out the Dremel. Had a few small sanding bits and they really helped speed up the process.

After the Dremel I went back to the green scotch brite pad and WD-40. It really helped bring back the raw look.

Just need to finish up by torching the welds.
sandman768
8/26/2018 5:05am
Has anyone here ever successfully stripped the Chrome nickel plating of and if a FMF FATTY pipe? I got one on my kx250 that's is flawless...
Has anyone here ever successfully stripped the Chrome nickel plating of and if a FMF FATTY pipe? I got one on my kx250 that's is flawless shape but an area the size of my hand,,, in a random spot for no season has peeled off like a sticker and I wanna strip it all the way down and have it bare metal
I have done this, find a commercial sandblast shop.....I tried to do one in my glass bead cabinet...no go.....
Matheus
4/22/2020 7:41am
Is this clear coated? If so, what kind did you buy and how well has it held up over the years? Looking to clear a works pipe but dont know which one actually holds up well
4/22/2020 8:53am
Matheus wrote:
Is this clear coated? If so, what kind did you buy and how well has it held up over the years? Looking to clear a works...
Is this clear coated? If so, what kind did you buy and how well has it held up over the years? Looking to clear a works pipe but dont know which one actually holds up well
No clear coat. Just a heavy wipe down of WD40 on it for the picture
ppalomino
4/22/2020 12:45pm
Matheus wrote:
Is this clear coated? If so, what kind did you buy and how well has it held up over the years? Looking to clear a works...
Looks awesome!

How's the maintenance on the pipe? Do you have to oil it after every clean/before every ride?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/23/2020 1:03am
Matheus wrote:
ppalomino wrote:
Looks awesome!

How's the maintenance on the pipe? Do you have to oil it after every clean/before every ride?
Depending what size on the conditions when you ride. I just hit it with wet scotch brite when I wash the bike and it keeps it clean. I’ve found that it stays better without using wd40. Unless you live in a moist location or it’s siting for a long time.

Action69
4/23/2020 6:31am
Use extra virgin olive oil,it’s very thick and adheres to the metal well.
Tracktor
4/23/2020 10:09am
Action69 wrote:
Use extra virgin olive oil,it’s very thick and adheres to the metal well.
Fluid Film works well also...........

Post a reply to: PC Works Pipe Restoration - Updated

The Latest