Octane Boosters work?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/18/2018 5:32 PM

I have a 2013 yz 250 that is port and polished and the compression has been raised. I need to run 98+ octane to stop from detonating. I forgot to get gas today and the place (and only place) I can get it from sin closed tomorrow. Can I run 93 ethanol free and put an octane booster in it? i know it isn’t gonna give it extra power and all that. I just feel like that stuff is kinda gummy and could glog my jets up or something. Opinions?

|

8/18/2018 6:24 PM

You can use it, but it will not bring it up to the desired octane. It may bring it up to about 95. In a pinch you may be able to locate some av gas, but it may effect your jetting.

Paw Paw

|

8/18/2018 7:01 PM

As Paw paw said octane boosters don't work grab yourself some ll100 from the local Airport or if you're in a pinch you can go to the hardware store and buy some of that weed wacker VP fuel

|

8/18/2018 7:59 PM

THATS WHAT I usually run but the airport isn’t cool closed on sundays.

|

8/18/2018 7:59 PM

Which is dumb because wtf do I do if I wanna fly somewhere on a Sunday!!

|

8/19/2018 4:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2018 4:19 PM

No racegas? Sunoco or VP??
Go get some Sunoco 110 and mix it 50/50 with the 93 non ethanol

|

8/19/2018 5:50 PM

Torco Accelerator(sp?) is pretty good, just race fuel concentrate. Most of the boosters are garbage, pretty much what has already been said. Some airports won't sell the avgas, if you can get it, then great. Good stuff and pretty cheap. Race gas can be a PITA to find for some locations.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

8/20/2018 7:05 PM

Blackjack31 wrote:

I have a 2013 yz 250 that is port and polished and the compression has been raised. I need to run 98+ octane to stop from ...more

I had a 2014 YZ250 with the FMF pipe and silencer these things were notorious for detonation. I also had light head work and a cylinder for it that resembled nothing like the stock ports.
To stop all detonation I ran a fuel booster / stabiliser called Nulon pro strength
https://www.nulon.com.au/products/pro-strength-additives/pro-strength-octane-booster
Stopped all detonation period.
So with my experience YES they work and having told others suffering det as well they had the same successful results

|

8/21/2018 2:52 PM

I would say that if the label on the bottle of octane booster says it is safe for oxygen sensors and will not harm cat-converters, then it probably doesn't boost the octane very much. The best octane boosters are tetra methyl/ethyl lead and MMT which are both poisons for cat converters but work at very low concentrations in the fuel.

|