Nose high when I jump

seven1two
I just got back in to riding after being off for 10 years. I have a yz 125 and I weigh 180 pounds and am a C class rider. With all that being said, I feel like every time I jump I go nose high like a goon. I look like Ronnie Mac out there!!! I don't want that. I don't think it is my technique as it happens no matter if I am leaning back on the jump or jumping the jump in the middle of the bike. I think it is my suspension but I don't know what to fix on my suspension to keep this from happening. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
7/11/2017 9:36pm
Without knowing what bike you have, the best bet with the suspension is the turn the clicker in all the way then count the clicks out until it stops(typically 24-30) then set it in the middle.

Do that for the compression on top and rebound on the bottom. Also with all the shock adjusters, then have someone help you set the sag.

Hope this helps get you started.
Turbojez
7/12/2017 1:58am
seven1two wrote:
I just got back in to riding after being off for 10 years. I have a yz 125 and I weigh 180 pounds and am a...
I just got back in to riding after being off for 10 years. I have a yz 125 and I weigh 180 pounds and am a C class rider. With all that being said, I feel like every time I jump I go nose high like a goon. I look like Ronnie Mac out there!!! I don't want that. I don't think it is my technique as it happens no matter if I am leaning back on the jump or jumping the jump in the middle of the bike. I think it is my suspension but I don't know what to fix on my suspension to keep this from happening. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Get someone to take a video or picture of you on the takeoff. Bet you're not far enough over the front and/or getting to the back of the bike right after the takeoff.
Frodad78
7/12/2017 4:39am
For me when I'm jumping nose high its because me weight is too far back. Neutral body position will help you fly more level. If its a jump with nice downlsope landing I take off with my weight more forward. Theory is this lightens the rear, it rises a bit and makes for a nice angle upon landing.

The Shop

Paw Paw
7/12/2017 5:04am
Is the bike correctly sprung for your weight? If not, take care of that first.
If so, then get your weight more forward on the jump face.

Paw Paw
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
7/12/2017 7:00am
Another thing to keep in mind is since you've been off the bike for 10 years, maybe you are riding timid? A lot of newer riders seem to let off at jump faces and then give it throttle at the very end of the lip and pull up and it shoots the front end up ala Ronnie Mac.
MX690
7/12/2017 2:30pm
Relax, alot of times I see guys going front wheel high is because they tend to stiffen up going up the face and when you do that you tend to pull back no matter if you're forward or centred. Just relax going up the face and let the bike do it's thing.
seven1two
7/12/2017 8:53pm
Thanks for all the replies. Will try some of these at the track this week
Airick
Fantasy
2637th
7/13/2017 3:58am
seth505 wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind is since you've been off the bike for 10 years, maybe you are riding timid? A lot of newer riders...
Another thing to keep in mind is since you've been off the bike for 10 years, maybe you are riding timid? A lot of newer riders seem to let off at jump faces and then give it throttle at the very end of the lip and pull up and it shoots the front end up ala Ronnie Mac.
I seem to go nose high too. What you say about throttle and blipping the on the face I do, and am trying to fix that. Question though, what do you do with the throttle when approaching and on the face of the jump? I'm thinking i should roll off the throttle just as the bike leaves the jump face? Thanks.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
7/13/2017 7:02am
seth505 wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind is since you've been off the bike for 10 years, maybe you are riding timid? A lot of newer riders...
Airick wrote:
I seem to go nose high too. What you say about throttle and blipping the on the face I do, and am trying to fix that...
I seem to go nose high too. What you say about throttle and blipping the on the face I do, and am trying to fix that. Question though, what do you do with the throttle when approaching and on the face of the jump? I'm thinking i should roll off the throttle just as the bike leaves the jump face? Thanks.
Ya I think you have the right idea, but it really depends on the jump. I'm by no means the fastest guy around but here is a quick video on my 125 last year, a track where you need good momentum and gets bumpy.

A good example is at like 2:33 in this video, the first jump there I am wide open off so I can make it on my 125 and then the next jump into the left hander is smaller and you can hear I'm not on the throttle off the face like the previous jump (but I was on the throttle a little bit before the take off to keep my momentum up).

https://youtu.be/D6vmwNWGkpk
lumpy790
7/16/2017 2:25pm
Is suspension balanced? If the shock is rebounding slow it could cause the back end to drop?
skyrebel88
7/20/2017 6:51pm
Hey man I have encountered this problem myself. u could be pulling up on the bars cause they are too low, the rebound on the shock is too fast where it kicks making u pull up on the bars or it is too slow where the rear never kicks enough in the air to send u soaring flat. U go nose high.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
7/21/2017 9:37am
could the reboud on your shock be slower/harder than the front?

Post a reply to: Nose high when I jump

The Latest