No-toil air filter oil system or the old school way?

fourfourone
Been using normal pj1 spray oil filter for years but the cleaning process sucks. Tired of having my garage smell all the time. I live in a condo now so I cant wash filters like I used to.

Do you find the no toil stuff has the same protection as the pj1? doesn't seem to be as tacky? The tracks in the northeast tend to be super dusty. Ive been running the dt1 air filters in my yz450 to ensure a good seal.
|
kb228
7/19/2018 5:20am
I used to use pj1 cleaner and maxima oil. Switch to no toil and i can say for sure its way better. The cleaning process is way better and you get more for your money with the cleaner powder compared to pj1. The oil itself is way more tacky and almost glues itself to your air box for a tight seal. Been using it for the entire year so far and its really damn good. Love maxima products to death but no toil has them beat on this one for sure.
opyguy
7/19/2018 5:26am
been using no toil green for 6 years, no issues, cleans up so easy.
use oxy clean instead of the powder, much cheaper
fourfourone
7/19/2018 5:26am
looks like they make the red and green evolution stuff. do you use spray on or the type you pour on a soak in?
fourfourone
7/19/2018 5:27am
I cant tell what the difference between the green and red. I see the red comes in a spray and liquid

The Shop

opyguy
7/19/2018 5:32am
green is bio friendly, i use the soaking method, don't like sprays
kb228
7/19/2018 5:34am
I use the red can of spray and the blue cleaner powder. With the spray you spray a lot on and squeeze out the excess. Its almost like pouring oil on it.
MX915
7/19/2018 6:28am
I used Bel Ray for years. Got tired of cleaning it with noxious chemicals and then trying to find someplace to get rid of the ensuing mess.

Been using no toil red for the last two seasons and clean the filters in my basement sink. So much nicer. Haven't noticed any dirt or dust getting by and I've ridden some serious NJ sand.
Bruneval
7/19/2018 7:36am
I use red no-toil and the no-toil cleaner. The cleaner lasts much longer, so I probably get through 2 oil bottles to every cleaner. I live in the city, so when i'm done riding I pull the filter off the bike and put it in a plastic bag to wash in my apartment with zero smell and minimal clean-up. It's the way to go, and I ride in the North East also. You could have grown potatoes on the filter that came out of my last trip to Southwick; the red no-toil provided protection on par with anything else I've used. Nothing got through into the boot, and it is clean and easy to use. Never going back to the old school way.
lumpy790
7/19/2018 7:45am
MX915 wrote:
I used Bel Ray for years. Got tired of cleaning it with noxious chemicals and then trying to find someplace to get rid of the ensuing...
I used Bel Ray for years. Got tired of cleaning it with noxious chemicals and then trying to find someplace to get rid of the ensuing mess.

Been using no toil red for the last two seasons and clean the filters in my basement sink. So much nicer. Haven't noticed any dirt or dust getting by and I've ridden some serious NJ sand.
I have 4 or 5 filters so I clean them all at the same time and keep each one in a ziplock bag after re-oiling with belray filter oil.

I have a small drywall spackle tub (about 1/4 gallon size) with 3-4 inches of kerosene/diesel fuel that I submerge the filter into to break down and get the belray filter oil out of the filter. Do not worry about the dirt as soap & water gets that out. Do it a couple times Squeezing the kerosene/diesel fuel back into tub and when done Put a lid back on the tub and dirt sinks to the bottom. I use the same kerosene/diesel fuel for 1 year.

After kerosene/diesel fuel Rinse and squeeze the filter a couple times with plain water to get a good portion of the kerosene/diesel washed fuel out then Wash the filter with Palmolive dish soap by dripping some around the filter and working it into a lather across the entire filter then rinse with plain water. If its really a lot of dirt I will clean with soap a couple times. I usually lay the filters out in the sun so the water evaporites.

I have a 2nd small drywall spackle bucket that I put 1-2 bottles of Belray air filter oil in and I put in a little about 25cc of gas to thin it out just a little. Submerge the cleaned filter in the oil and squeeze out excess and put the filters in a ziplock bag so they are ready to go.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
7/19/2018 8:41am
No Toil red is the way to go. Filters come out spotless after cleaning, and that oil covers really well before it tacks up. I like to wait a day for the oil to set up before riding because it's pretty liquid until the alcohol evaporates out. I use no toil chemicals with the Twin Air wash and oil buckets and think that's the easiest way.

Just a heads up - warm water cleans the filters better, but don't go too hot or the glue melts out of then!

kb228
7/19/2018 10:06am
Jbulz wrote:
No Toil red is the way to go. Filters come out spotless after cleaning, and that oil covers really well before it tacks up. I like...
No Toil red is the way to go. Filters come out spotless after cleaning, and that oil covers really well before it tacks up. I like to wait a day for the oil to set up before riding because it's pretty liquid until the alcohol evaporates out. I use no toil chemicals with the Twin Air wash and oil buckets and think that's the easiest way.

Just a heads up - warm water cleans the filters better, but don't go too hot or the glue melts out of then!

X2 on warm water.
blu113
7/19/2018 10:52am
as far as the no toil red. Spray or liquid?
The red spray is much easier and less messy. Im a red spray and blue powder fan. ever since I went to the no toil I never looked back, I like that I do not have to take the old gas to recycle since some of the auto parts stores wont take your recycled gas/oil mixed
JBecker 72
7/19/2018 10:59am
I use the green No Toil oil and Twin Air filters. Cleanup is super easy. One cap of the powder in a 5 gallon bucket with warm water. For oiling I soak them in a plastic bag and then get the excess off with paper towels.
rockyuno
7/19/2018 11:34am
been using only dish soap for years. never had a particle inside the cage.

dish soap + hot water.
kpersonius264
Fantasy
3584th
7/19/2018 12:45pm
I use the red stuff in the bottle and when I have about 5 of them that need to be cleaned I throw them in the washer. Easiest way to do it hands down!
CSAR FE
7/19/2018 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2018 1:30pm
Been using normal pj1 spray oil filter for years but the cleaning process sucks. Tired of having my garage smell all the time. I live in...
Been using normal pj1 spray oil filter for years but the cleaning process sucks. Tired of having my garage smell all the time. I live in a condo now so I cant wash filters like I used to.

Do you find the no toil stuff has the same protection as the pj1? doesn't seem to be as tacky? The tracks in the northeast tend to be super dusty. Ive been running the dt1 air filters in my yz450 to ensure a good seal.
I’ve been using No Toil for probably 12 years or more now. It has always worked well. I wash my filters in the sink. Also, I use Oxy Clean instead of the no toil cleaner. Is the same shit and you get 10 times the amount for half the price.
kpersonius264
Fantasy
3584th
7/19/2018 3:12pm
Been using normal pj1 spray oil filter for years but the cleaning process sucks. Tired of having my garage smell all the time. I live in...

CSAR FE wrote:
I’ve been using No Toil for probably 12 years or more now. It has always worked well. I wash my filters in the sink. Also, I...
I’ve been using No Toil for probably 12 years or more now. It has always worked well. I wash my filters in the sink. Also, I use Oxy Clean instead of the no toil cleaner. Is the same shit and you get 10 times the amount for half the price.
I haven’t tried oxy clean. It doesn’t break down the filter or anything?
CSAR FE
7/19/2018 3:20pm

CSAR FE wrote:
I’ve been using No Toil for probably 12 years or more now. It has always worked well. I wash my filters in the sink. Also, I...
I haven’t tried oxy clean. It doesn’t break down the filter or anything?
Not in my experience, no.
MX915
7/19/2018 3:40pm
lumpy790 wrote:
I have 4 or 5 filters so I clean them all at the same time and keep each one in a ziplock bag after re-oiling with...
I have 4 or 5 filters so I clean them all at the same time and keep each one in a ziplock bag after re-oiling with belray filter oil.

I have a small drywall spackle tub (about 1/4 gallon size) with 3-4 inches of kerosene/diesel fuel that I submerge the filter into to break down and get the belray filter oil out of the filter. Do not worry about the dirt as soap & water gets that out. Do it a couple times Squeezing the kerosene/diesel fuel back into tub and when done Put a lid back on the tub and dirt sinks to the bottom. I use the same kerosene/diesel fuel for 1 year.

After kerosene/diesel fuel Rinse and squeeze the filter a couple times with plain water to get a good portion of the kerosene/diesel washed fuel out then Wash the filter with Palmolive dish soap by dripping some around the filter and working it into a lather across the entire filter then rinse with plain water. If its really a lot of dirt I will clean with soap a couple times. I usually lay the filters out in the sun so the water evaporites.

I have a 2nd small drywall spackle bucket that I put 1-2 bottles of Belray air filter oil in and I put in a little about 25cc of gas to thin it out just a little. Submerge the cleaned filter in the oil and squeeze out excess and put the filters in a ziplock bag so they are ready to go.
Thats a good system. My only issue is youre dealing with diesel / kerosene to clean. The smell and disposal when its spent are the problem for me.
kb228
7/19/2018 3:55pm
Id shy away from using gas. No offense here but theres products that work a lot better and are actually safe and clean and using old gas or whatever is as redneck as using jb weld to fix crank case cracks. Then you gotta find a place that will take your old gas
Timo_2824
7/19/2018 8:18pm
I use red, but have used the green as well. The red has alcohol and the green doesn't, so it's supposed to be safer for some filter glues. The red tacks up faster, but both work really well. The green has a weird smell that I don't like, that's why I went back to the red. I wash them in my kitchen sink with the powdered dish detergent from Dollar Tree, and air dry on my dish rack. Been using it since 2007 without issue, and the clean up is freaking awesome.
FWYT
7/19/2018 8:21pm
Been using No Toil red for years and love it. Sooooo easy to use and clean.

Hot tip- after you clean the filters in the sink with either the No Toil cleaner or Oxy Clean, take them to the laundrymat (as long as they have never touched petroleum products!) and throw them in a gentle cycle with cold water and a little more Oxy Clean. They will come out PERFECT.

I then let them dry and put each in a Ziplock bag with 100cc of oil. That seems to be about the right amount.
Ready to go!!
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
7/20/2018 3:46am
Red all the way. Clean with a mix of the blue powder and oxi clean. I don't like the spray, it doesn't seem to be as consistent as the bottle after a good shaking!!
HenryA
7/20/2018 12:27pm
No-toil is the best. Used to do all that spray shit and clean with diesel/gas. Went with No-toil and their cleaner. Picked up a cheap used washer that I installed in the garage for the gear and filters and never looked back.
fourfourone
7/20/2018 12:40pm
HenryA wrote:
No-toil is the best. Used to do all that spray shit and clean with diesel/gas. Went with No-toil and their cleaner. Picked up a cheap used...
No-toil is the best. Used to do all that spray shit and clean with diesel/gas. Went with No-toil and their cleaner. Picked up a cheap used washer that I installed in the garage for the gear and filters and never looked back.
do you use the spray on or soak method. spray on seems much easier. When soaking do you worry about over doing it?
bultokid
7/20/2018 12:49pm
Been using it for about 10 years, only way to go for me...x1000 easier. Also try their airbox cleaner, you'll like it...they sell kit with cover/plug and spray cleaner....you're airbox looks brand new, clean as a whistle. Been using the PC Racing airbox pro-seal as well, love it. Old-school was always a fanatic on clean air filter and hated that ring of grease we all put on base of filter..Pro-seal solved that old habit
7/20/2018 4:33pm
I put my notoil oil in old honey conainers, the plastic bear shaped ones lol. Easy to use and stops any waste of oil.
HenryA
7/21/2018 3:48am
do you use the spray on or soak method. spray on seems much easier. When soaking do you worry about over doing it?
I soak them. You will be amazed how little oil that you will actually need. I probably over did it the first time but you will learn quickly how much oil you need. I just pour a small amount of oil on the filter and twist them lightly and make sure the filter is completely covered in oil. You can squeeze out all the excessive oil at the end so you will pick up fairly quick how much you need.

Oh and also, invest in rubber gloves!

Post a reply to: No-toil air filter oil system or the old school way?

The Latest