Nightmare 2003 CR250 Purchase

Edited Date/Time 7/2/2021 9:04pm
My well-intentioned yet inexperienced and undiscerning brother recently bought his son a real lemon of a CR250. On the surface, it looked pretty, had the modern plastics, black wheels, Magura hydraulic clutch, and all that jazz.

But as soon as my nephew rode it, the center cases started leaking, a lot. I offered to go through the bike top to bottom to assess the damage. And damage there was…

Used buyers beware. There's a lot of activity in the used markets right now. Pay close attention to what you're buying. Start it, ride it. Ask questions.

As far as the damage goes, let’s just start with the swing arm

Great little surprise lurking under the chain slide. Good ol’ JB Weld.

Quick rip on the wire wheel revealed…

Super awesome. At this point I quickly learned that CR250 swing arms are hard to come by… because this happened a lot. There was only one decent looking used swingarm on eBay for $1000. All the others on eBay had the chain slider on them and the sellers wouldn’t remove it and take a picture. Buncha dirtbags, I tell ya.

Thankfully, this is only the seal bore and doesn't carry much load. It's also sandwiched between the frame with a 1" shaft passing through it. So I tig welded it. A 37mm bearing works as a great backer, except when it gets super hot. A solid stainless plug would be ideal, but I don't hav a lathe...

|
6/20/2021 9:24pm
Now for the cases. Someone got frustrated that the cases wouldn’t come apart and used a screwdriver or god knows what to pry them apart.

End result…

The Shop

sandman768
6/22/2021 5:36am
The Best Buy’s are bikes that are mostly original even if it needs a total restore, I prefer to be the first one doing it. Majority of bikes for sale with the backyard restore job need to be completely redone. I bought a “restored” 92 YZ that was so bad I had to replace entire bottom end, cases looked like they used a chain saw to split them, crank end threads stripped, cylinder plating worn off ect. Some hacks out there for sure! I”m sure you will,find more surprises but there is satisfaction in bringing the bike back to proper level.
sandman768
6/22/2021 5:40am
Found some photos of my restored bike cases.... enjoy😂

imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
6/22/2021 7:29am
What a shame. Great fix on the swing arm.
PNWRider
7/2/2021 9:04pm
sandman768 wrote:
The Best Buy’s are bikes that are mostly original even if it needs a total restore, I prefer to be the first one doing it. Majority...
The Best Buy’s are bikes that are mostly original even if it needs a total restore, I prefer to be the first one doing it. Majority of bikes for sale with the backyard restore job need to be completely redone. I bought a “restored” 92 YZ that was so bad I had to replace entire bottom end, cases looked like they used a chain saw to split them, crank end threads stripped, cylinder plating worn off ect. Some hacks out there for sure! I”m sure you will,find more surprises but there is satisfaction in bringing the bike back to proper level.
Agreed.

I would take a neglected bike that’s never been opened up to a “restored “ one any day. The only exception would be if I knew the owner and their work and respected it.

Besides, in most cases I’m going to want to modify things my way anyhow.
27thmx
7/8/2021 8:59am
You never know with people I’ve seen worse. Lots of neglect. :/

Post a reply to: Nightmare 2003 CR250 Purchase

The Latest