Nickle plating removal from PC Platinum pipe?

7/10/2017 5:51pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2017 6:53pm
Picked up a Pro Circuit Platinum pipe on eBay for my 99 KTM SX125, but would much rather have more of a Works pipe finish. Sounds like the best thing to do here is take the pipe to a plating shop who has the right acid baths to remove the nickle plating... Anyone have first hand experience with this? Pics of pipes with the plating stripped and the welds torched blue? The easiest thing would be to sell the Platinum pipe and buy a Works one, but they aren't easy to come by..
|
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
7/10/2017 6:42pm
Soda blasting or perhaps blasting with walnut shell?
JohnnyT_983
7/10/2017 7:10pm
There used to be this stuff that you could find called "naval jelly" it would strip any kind of coating off any metal it was a hard core rust remover. If you can find some try that and be careful it will eat through the super thick rubber gloves and melt them to your skin if you aren't careful.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
7/11/2017 6:59am
There used to be this stuff that you could find called "naval jelly" it would strip any kind of coating off any metal it was a...
There used to be this stuff that you could find called "naval jelly" it would strip any kind of coating off any metal it was a hard core rust remover. If you can find some try that and be careful it will eat through the super thick rubber gloves and melt them to your skin if you aren't careful.
Naval jelly will discolor nickel but not remove it
sandman768
7/12/2017 1:52pm
The Crome plating is a bitch to remove, soda, walnut will not touch it...I"ve tried glass beading also, painfully slow...a plating shop can remove it to raw, then just scotchbrite it & blue the welds...or Find someone who performs h/duty sandblasting, like an industrial equipment refurb company & see if they will blast it off....black beauty coarse grit with high pressure will remove it....messy........my powdercoater also does h/duty blasting & has removed plating on pipes for me....

The Shop

pete24
7/12/2017 6:03pm
my plater did my rm125 pc pipe and my wr500 pipe the 500 pipe sat in the acid for three weeks before the stuff came off and then it was heavily pitted took a lot of sanding and polishing both pipes were new and the guy said he woundt do a used pipe cuz he didnt want his solution to get the carbon crap in it from a used one

LumpDog841
7/12/2017 6:53pm
If you have a local chrome plater they will usually have a "stripping" line, and using some really harsh stuff will remove all chrome/nickel.
7/12/2017 9:10pm
Yea, the more I think about it the more I think I'm better off just keeping it as is until I come across a works style pipe for the bike. Would rather have a header for better low end performance anyway. Only got the platinum pipe because it was cheap and available

Post a reply to: Nickle plating removal from PC Platinum pipe?

The Latest