New spokes

omalley
I’m almost done with my CR250 build (02). I realized while checking the wheels that the spokes are in sad shape (all seized to the nipples, several with vice grip marks from the PO apparently trying to “fix” the problem...
I would love to just buy spokes, as the rims are in great shape as are the hubs.

Brands I’ve been looking at are:
Excel
Buchanan
Tusk
Pro-wheel

It looks like the Excels and Buchanans may require drilling of the hub and/or rim, and I saw that some folks had issues with the length of the excels on a stock rim.
Tusk is obviously a less expensive OE replacement although they are stainless, and RMATV only seemed to have fronts that I could find.
Pro-Wheel looked to have mixed reviews.

OE Honda are about 3-4.00/spoke with nipples so not cost effective for what you get.

Any recommendations? I had excel spokes/nipples/rims on my KX450, and they seemed decent. If I have to buy rims I will but I’d sure like to avoid it (this bike has already a lot of “as long as I’m in there” $$$)...

Thanks!
|
Acidreamer
10/26/2017 7:34am
Ive been told the bulldog spokes are really good. They use them in the kite wheels. Im ordering a set for my kx. Otherwise i was going to go with excel.
walent215
10/26/2017 7:54am
Acidreamer wrote:
Ive been told the bulldog spokes are really good. They use them in the kite wheels. Im ordering a set for my kx. Otherwise i was...
Ive been told the bulldog spokes are really good. They use them in the kite wheels. Im ordering a set for my kx. Otherwise i was going to go with excel.
Thats Buchanan right?
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
10/26/2017 8:26am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 8:28am
Be sure for your specific application but I have used Buchanan on stock yamaha hubs and no drilling or anything needed. I have been told Buchanan by multiple wheel builders but out of those choices I'd go Buchanan or Excel.

Another option is just sending the parts to someone good like FasterUSA and have them built up.
RKExcel
10/26/2017 8:29am
Omalley,

None of the Excel spoke/nipple kits will require you to drill out your stock OE hub. For your 2002 CR250, the front Excel spoke/nipple kit will require you to drill the stock front OE rim's nipple hole diameter to an 8.5mm as majority of our Excel rims come with the 8.5mm nipple hole diameter. From a quick search, it appears your stock OE front Honda DID rim is an 8.0mm.

The rear Excel spoke/nipple kit will work like a charm on the stock OE rim.

If you went through Buchanan's, they can provide you with the correct nipples and spokes to fit your stock OE rims and hubs. You will just need to confirm the nipple hole diameter and give that information to Buchanan's. They're an awesome company to go through for you wheel restoration needs.

- Cole

The Shop

Acidreamer
10/26/2017 8:31am
Acidreamer wrote:
Ive been told the bulldog spokes are really good. They use them in the kite wheels. Im ordering a set for my kx. Otherwise i was...
walent215 wrote:
Thats Buchanan right?
Cant say for sure. Im not as familiar with wheel components as id like to be.
omalley
10/26/2017 7:19pm
RKExcel wrote:
Omalley, None of the Excel spoke/nipple kits will require you to drill out your stock OE hub. For your 2002 CR250, the front Excel spoke/nipple kit...
Omalley,

None of the Excel spoke/nipple kits will require you to drill out your stock OE hub. For your 2002 CR250, the front Excel spoke/nipple kit will require you to drill the stock front OE rim's nipple hole diameter to an 8.5mm as majority of our Excel rims come with the 8.5mm nipple hole diameter. From a quick search, it appears your stock OE front Honda DID rim is an 8.0mm.

If you went through Buchanan's, they can provide you with the correct nipples and spokes to fit your stock OE rims and hubs. You will just need to confirm the nipple hole diameter and give that information to Buchanan's. They're an awesome company to go through for you wheel restoration needs.

- Cole
Thanks! I ended up picking up front and rear Excel sets. As far as drilling the OE front rim, I had a couple questions-is 8.5mm the actual hole size, or the nipple diameter (ie if the nipple is 8.5 does the hole have to be larger for clearance)? Also, what do you recommend to drill with (step drill, standard bit, etc)?

Thank you to everyone else as well. I appreciate all the info.
BobPA
10/26/2017 8:46pm
RKExcel wrote:
Omalley, None of the Excel spoke/nipple kits will require you to drill out your stock OE hub. For your 2002 CR250, the front Excel spoke/nipple kit...
Omalley,

- Cole
omalley wrote:
Thanks! I ended up picking up front and rear Excel sets. As far as drilling the OE front rim, I had a couple questions-is 8.5mm the...
Thanks! I ended up picking up front and rear Excel sets. As far as drilling the OE front rim, I had a couple questions-is 8.5mm the actual hole size, or the nipple diameter (ie if the nipple is 8.5 does the hole have to be larger for clearance)? Also, what do you recommend to drill with (step drill, standard bit, etc)?

11/32 drill bit works well. You do not need that much clearance. Just make sure the nipple sits nice in the wheel.
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
10/27/2017 2:32am
Be sure to add some anti seize on whichever you get to prevent ending up in the same situation again Wink
FiendzCC
10/27/2017 10:39am
Acidreamer wrote:
walent215 wrote:
Thats Buchanan right?
Acidreamer wrote:
Cant say for sure. Im not as familiar with wheel components as id like to be.
Buchanan is it's own company. Their spokes are made custom to order in Azusa, CA. They have been around for ages.

Bulldog spokes are a product of Central Wheel located in the UK.

That being said, those two along with Excel are all top quality, and you can't go wrong with any of those three.
RKExcel
10/27/2017 10:46am
RKExcel wrote:
Omalley,

- Cole
omalley wrote:
Thanks! I ended up picking up front and rear Excel sets. As far as drilling the OE front rim, I had a couple questions-is 8.5mm the...

BobPA wrote:
11/32 drill bit works well. You do not need that much clearance. Just make sure the nipple sits nice in the wheel.
Omalley,

Exactly like what BobPA said, you don't need much to enlarge the holes.

Our Excel rims are drilled to 8.5mm hole diameter. The Excel Spline nipple's body diameter is 8.30mm. The nipple body is the part between the butt of the nipple and the wrench contact point of the nipple.

For my personal preference, I would use the step drill bit but standard bit should be fine.

- Cole

Post a reply to: New spokes

The Latest