New issue during 06 RM250 rebuild - Help

SK44
2/13/2018 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2018 8:40am
So I just picked up a very clean 06 Rm250 after several years off a bike. Pulled the suspension off and sent it out to JM Racing in Houston. Heard very good things about John's work. Now the issue.... The front end looks off-center / crooked. The forks went back in the triple clamps easier than getting them out (clamps were tight) used a large flat blade screwdriver to expand the pinch. Not sure what's going on? Visual on clamps look straight and in damaged, could I have put the front tire/rim on incorrectly? Man I'm puzzled. Not the greatest tuner in the world but have 36 years of basics. This is my first ever Suzuki. Any experts please give me some guidance or direction. Thank you in advance.
|
LumpDog841
2/14/2018 4:57am
My forks always slid into my clamps on my RM's pretty easily so I would worry about that. What I would be concerned with is your forks being clamped to your axle straight. Did you push/bounce the front end (compressing the forks) a few times before tightening your axle pinch bolts? Also upload some pics.
2/14/2018 7:51am
Where are you looking from and seeing the front end is twisted? If you’re on the bike, your handlebar mounts could be twisted.
b8res
2/14/2018 9:44am
The OEM bar mounts can cause the front end to look all misaligned. The rubber cones on top and on bottom can be twisted or one of the bolts or both bolts can be slightly bent. I've had this issue with my 06 RM several times even after a slight tip over, the bars will be tweaked due to the bar mounts.

The routine to correct is pretty straight forward, loosen the nuts on the bottom of the mounts, recenter them and tighten back up. The rubber cones can also get damaged. Best thing to do is pull the bar mounts apart, inspect and replace and cracked, bent or broken items.

Ride Eng has replacement cone kits or go with OEM. Check out Applied as well for more options.

Hope this helps solve your issue.

Thanks
SK44
2/14/2018 12:33pm
I'll post some pics this evening. Also I'll reverse my steps in the front wheel, and give the bar mounts a look. Hust seems odd that all was aligned when i pulled the suspension off. First post for me here, abd several off a bike. Looking forward to connecting y'all.

The Shop

SK44
2/14/2018 12:46pm
I'll post some pics this evening. Also I'll reverse my steps in the front wheel, and give the bar mounts a look. Just seems odd that all was aligned when i pulled the suspension off. First post for me here, and several years off a bike. Looking forward to connecting y'all.
SK44
2/14/2018 6:09pm
Update - loosened the front forks, axle retainer bolts etc...better, but still slightly off. Including pics, but hey, it's valentines day. Gotta take care of our gals.

b8res
2/14/2018 9:56pm
Is it me.... or does the fender look twisted?
ledger
2/14/2018 10:38pm
b8res wrote:
That's exactly what I see too.
ledger
2/14/2018 10:56pm
I doubt you put a wheel/tire on wrong, maybe the wheel spacer's are on the wrong side ?....which would cause rotor misalignment.
lumpy790
2/15/2018 1:41am
Try Tweaking the front wheel like you do a bicycle to straighten the alignment.
RussB
Fantasy
866th
2/15/2018 5:23am
ledger wrote:
I doubt you put a wheel/tire on wrong, maybe the wheel spacer's are on the wrong side ?....which would cause rotor misalignment.
Front wheel spacers are identical on the RM either side.

Remove the front mudguard and sit on the bike. You can see fairly easily if the front wheel isn't square to the bars.

On a side note, with regards to the bar mount. Remove the top bar clamp and place it on a flat surface. If the bar mount clamp doesn't sit flat at all 4 bolt holes then its bent and needs to be replaced.
I've bent a couple of these now and the twisted bar top clamp will pull the bar mount assembly out of line when tightened down.
SK44
2/15/2018 7:57am
b8res wrote:
I gave it a closer look. Brand new Acerbis... ok, so I'll tear it down again and give those clamps a much closer look. This is my first Suzuki, but I'm certainly enjoying getting it moto ready. Appreciate y'all jumping in on this. Any other caveats if these 04-08 RM's..like I might have mentioned this is my first Suzuki after several CR's, YZ's, KX's from 78-01..Thx.
SK44
2/15/2018 8:07am
ledger wrote:
RussB wrote:
Front wheel spacers are identical on the RM either side. Remove the front mudguard and sit on the bike. You can see fairly easily if the...
Front wheel spacers are identical on the RM either side.

Remove the front mudguard and sit on the bike. You can see fairly easily if the front wheel isn't square to the bars.

On a side note, with regards to the bar mount. Remove the top bar clamp and place it on a flat surface. If the bar mount clamp doesn't sit flat at all 4 bolt holes then its bent and needs to be replaced.
I've bent a couple of these now and the twisted bar top clamp will pull the bar mount assembly out of line when tightened down.
Thank you Russ. BTW very nice RM in your profile pic.

Post a reply to: New issue during 06 RM250 rebuild - Help

The Latest