New Xact Cone Valve Forks vs KYB inserts

aees
7/10/2019 4:53am
Turbojez wrote:
Can anyone confirm, that the new CVs have steel lower tubes and are just hard chromed? I think it's the only A-kit level suspension without the...
Can anyone confirm, that the new CVs have steel lower tubes and are just hard chromed?
I think it's the only A-kit level suspension without the trick coatings. Makes no sense to me unless they're aluminum.
Steel, and the lower tubes offers less friction with the new coating then any of the existing "trick" coatings... Performance over appearance!
7/10/2019 6:01am
aees wrote:
Steel, and the lower tubes offers less friction with the new coating then any of the existing "trick" coatings... Performance over appearance!
Really ? What is this coating ? Looks like raw steel to me but i might be wrong it is just the look
7/10/2019 6:04am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2019 8:20am
A preliminary update: Got to ride this weekend on the new setup. Didn't have sag set just right, so balance was just a bit off and...
A preliminary update: Got to ride this weekend on the new setup. Didn't have sag set just right, so balance was just a bit off and the track I was riding is more sandy and loose than what I like to use for testing. After adjusting many times, I got pretty close to the balance I was looking for, but that track just wasn't the best test bed.

However, a few things really stood out:
Soaking up rough areas - bumps seem to disappear when above a certain speed. I asked to have mine set slightly more to control than comfort, and they seem to provide exactly this.
Jumps - Really impressive damping when landing short or long, or for things unexpected. I could literally slam into anything and the forks would just soak it up. Ridiculously good.
Corner feel - head and shoulders above the stock AERs, even with balance not quite where I wanted.

In short, very happy with the setup so far and expect it to get better. I'm basically having to learn how to ride the bike again since it doesn't do strange or painful things anymore. Will ride again this weekend on some actual dirt and update.
Thank you for this review !

Very interesting and what was your SAG at the end of the day (are you running a different link) ? How was the shock ?

I am looking forward to see the review ( vs KYB ) of Craig also
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/10/2019 7:32am
aees wrote:
Really ? What is this coating ? Looks like raw steel to me but i might be wrong it is just the look
I’m not sure what material they are but the coating is a hard chrome.

The Shop

7/10/2019 7:55am
A preliminary update: Got to ride this weekend on the new setup. Didn't have sag set just right, so balance was just a bit off and...
A preliminary update: Got to ride this weekend on the new setup. Didn't have sag set just right, so balance was just a bit off and the track I was riding is more sandy and loose than what I like to use for testing. After adjusting many times, I got pretty close to the balance I was looking for, but that track just wasn't the best test bed.

Soaking up rough areas - bumps seem to disappear when above a certain speed. I asked to have mine set slightly more to control than comfort, and they seem to provide exactly this.
Jumps - Really impressive damping when landing short or long, or for things unexpected. I could literally slam into anything and the forks would just soak it up. Ridiculously good.
Corner feel - head and shoulders above the stock AERs, even with balance not quite where I wanted.

In short, very happy with the setup so far and expect it to get better. I'm basically having to learn how to ride the bike again since it doesn't do strange or painful things anymore. Will ride again this weekend on some actual dirt and update.
Thank you for this review ! Very interesting and what was your SAG at the end of the day (are you running a different link)...

Very interesting and what was your SAG at the end of the day (are you running a different link) ? How was the shock ?

My review should arrive Monday. I’m going all out and doing a national race here in the UK. I’ve had no testing on these cone valves so I’m throwing myself into the deep end and racing on them this weekend both Saturday and Sunday.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1205th
7/10/2019 9:09am
aees wrote:
I don't know for certain, but it's probably something along the lines of this:

http://duralar.com/replacing-hard-chrome/

I doubt it's just regular hard chrome as the various coatings available are clearly superior.
7/10/2019 9:59am
aees wrote:
Just out of interest what clicker setting are you running at ?

Are the settings from the book a good base setting ? Also have you played with the pre load ?

Even tho I got the settings for the 250F I’ve had to use different springs.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/10/2019 3:32pm
Just out of interest what clicker setting are you running at ? Are the settings from the book a good base setting ? Also have you...

Are the settings from the book a good base setting ? Also have you played with the pre load ?

That is brave of you to race first day out on the forks. Sideways

Out of the box my springs and cone setting was way too stiff even with the clicker all the way soft. I could only get about halfway down the stroke.

I'm160lbs, vet 35+ B/C rider, 19 KTM 350.

I had Enzo revalve for me, very good set up now!
erik_94COBRA
7/10/2019 4:02pm

Thank you for this review ! Very interesting and what was your SAG at the end of the day (are you running a different link)...

Running stock linkage. Sag seems more sensitive with the stiffer rear spring (48 N/mm) and I was getting around 105-106 in a normal-ish seated position. Powerband specified 103 mm and the manual specifies 104 mm. I think that would be right on the money from my experience with more sag, and when really scooting forward on seat in corners (i.e. allowing less sag). The issue I was having was with the bike standing up in the corners a bit when getting on the gas when I wasn't as far forward as I needed to be. When I was sufficiently far forward, it wasn't a problem (sag was probably where it should have been).

The shock worked very well. It feels pretty hooked up and a bit more lively than the stock unit. Overall damping feels just right. For comparison, my stock '19 450SXF shock was better than my stock '17 TC250 shock. The revalved TC250 shock is better than the stock 450 shock, though. And this Trax initially feels more planted than the revalved TC250 shock. Hard to say how much better after less than 2 hrs though - it's definitely good though.

7/18/2019 12:18pm
My review should arrive Monday. I’m going all out and doing a national race here in the UK. I’ve had no testing on these cone valves...
My review should arrive Monday. I’m going all out and doing a national race here in the UK. I’ve had no testing on these cone valves so I’m throwing myself into the deep end and racing on them this weekend both Saturday and Sunday.
So Craig any review to provide after the races on CV ?😊😊
aees
7/19/2019 11:43am

Running stock linkage. Sag seems more sensitive with the stiffer rear spring (48 N/mm) and I was getting around 105-106 in a normal-ish seated position. Powerband...
Running stock linkage. Sag seems more sensitive with the stiffer rear spring (48 N/mm) and I was getting around 105-106 in a normal-ish seated position. Powerband specified 103 mm and the manual specifies 104 mm. I think that would be right on the money from my experience with more sag, and when really scooting forward on seat in corners (i.e. allowing less sag). The issue I was having was with the bike standing up in the corners a bit when getting on the gas when I wasn't as far forward as I needed to be. When I was sufficiently far forward, it wasn't a problem (sag was probably where it should have been).

The shock worked very well. It feels pretty hooked up and a bit more lively than the stock unit. Overall damping feels just right. For comparison, my stock '19 450SXF shock was better than my stock '17 TC250 shock. The revalved TC250 shock is better than the stock 450 shock, though. And this Trax initially feels more planted than the revalved TC250 shock. Hard to say how much better after less than 2 hrs though - it's definitely good though.

Preload and static is more important than sag. Are you at 6-7mm preload and 38-40mm static somewhere?
7/19/2019 11:58am
My review should arrive Monday. I’m going all out and doing a national race here in the UK. I’ve had no testing on these cone valves...
So Craig any review to provide after the races on CV ?😊😊
Unfortunately not much to mention. Had a terrible weekend and only managed one race and then came down with a terrible stomach bug.

But from what I felt Saturday I was impressed. First of all the track was extremely rough and these new cone valves were unbelievable on the huge breaking bumps, literally soaked them up so well and the bike felt very planted.

I’m still using the cone valve system in the forks and these have been modified for my weight etc. My suspension Guy has brilliant settings so I’m putting my trust in him.

I’m out riding on Tuesday for a full day so will have an even more understanding about these forks then.

I’ll be back
erik_94COBRA
7/21/2019 12:41pm
I’m hoping to have mine in a couple of weeks. Apparently the kits for the 250s are available just yet here in England so hopefully it...
I’m hoping to have mine in a couple of weeks. Apparently the kits for the 250s are available just yet here in England so hopefully it won’t be to long.

I have to say tho the kyb inserts are fantastic but a headache when changing bikes etc.
If you make the move to the new CV i will be very interested to know your feelings about the two set up and the pros/cons...
If you make the move to the new CV i will be very interested to know your feelings about the two set up and the pros/cons. I want either the CV or the factory KYB for my next 350.

A guy on an another thread with full KYB set up (19 350) stated that Craig at Enzo told him the kyb fork is better than the CV.

mx317 wrote:
Craig did my Cone Valve forks (technically no longer cone mid-valve) using shims instead of the Cone Valve. I've had two well known companies do my...
Craig did my Cone Valve forks (technically no longer cone mid-valve) using shims instead of the Cone Valve. I've had two well known companies do my forks previous using two different cones (red and blue) and I could not get happy until Craig converted to shim stack. My yardstick of forks were a set of 2011 Kawasaki AOSS Spring forks I had on my 2016 KX450 that were done by Enzo. ML512 has stated several times that factory WP riders have used both shim stacks and cone valve mid valves. The shim stack makes them more like the KYB style forks like AOSS and SSS forks. This conversion is pretty much a revalve in cost because they use the piston that is in there and just remove the cone adaptor, cone and spring replacing them with shims.
Sent you a PM.
8/5/2019 4:29am
Thought I’d update this since I now have a full race meeting on these new forks.

WOW these new forks are unbelievable. I had these forks valved for my weight etc by Karl Anderson here in the UK who is probably one of the best in the UK and a good friend.

These forks are super super plush but just don’t bottom out. I actually did my fastest lap times of the day when the track was at its roughest.

My KYB inserts were absolutely fantastic but these are a lot more comfortable on really heavy breaking bumps. I was so impressed with them yesterday. Lots of front end grip also.

It’s taken me a little while to set up the bike with these forks but I’ve finally got it somewhere near. I’m still using the cone valve system also.
Motohead279
8/5/2019 9:16am
Just out of interest what clicker setting are you running at ? Are the settings from the book a good base setting ? Also have you...

That is brave of you to race first day out on the forks. :side: Out of the box my springs and cone setting was way too...
That is brave of you to race first day out on the forks. Sideways

Out of the box my springs and cone setting was way too stiff even with the clicker all the way soft. I could only get about halfway down the stroke.

I'm160lbs, vet 35+ B/C rider, 19 KTM 350.

I had Enzo revalve for me, very good set up now!
When I got mine last year was the same thing, they were super stiff.

The CV forks have saved my ass a few times when overjumping stuff.
8/5/2019 2:57pm
Thought I’d update this since I now have a full race meeting on these new forks. WOW these new forks are unbelievable. I had these forks...
Thought I’d update this since I now have a full race meeting on these new forks.

WOW these new forks are unbelievable. I had these forks valved for my weight etc by Karl Anderson here in the UK who is probably one of the best in the UK and a good friend.

These forks are super super plush but just don’t bottom out. I actually did my fastest lap times of the day when the track was at its roughest.

My KYB inserts were absolutely fantastic but these are a lot more comfortable on really heavy breaking bumps. I was so impressed with them yesterday. Lots of front end grip also.

It’s taken me a little while to set up the bike with these forks but I’ve finally got it somewhere near. I’m still using the cone valve system also.
Nice feedback ! Thanks ! In which part of the stroke would you say the CV is better than the KYB ? Plusher on the first part ? More planted in the turn ? Bottoming ?

Cheers,
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
8/5/2019 7:36pm
Thought I’d update this since I now have a full race meeting on these new forks. WOW these new forks are unbelievable. I had these forks...

Nice feedback ! Thanks ! In which part of the stroke would you say the CV is better than the KYB ? Plusher on the first...
Nice feedback ! Thanks ! In which part of the stroke would you say the CV is better than the KYB ? Plusher on the first part ? More planted in the turn ? Bottoming ?

Cheers,
That seems like a hard question to get a real answer because it depends who set up the forks and how they set them up.

Post a reply to: New Xact Cone Valve Forks vs KYB inserts

The Latest