Related:
Create New Tag
WVUpetro2013 WVUpetro2013
7/19/2018 6:19 PM

Embassingly cannot figure out what is wrong with my sons pw50. The bike literally has less than 4 total hours on it, and that thing has been the biggest pain to start. It is not an exaggeration to say it takes me close to 80 kicks. The only way I can start it is choked, wide open for 10 kicks and then throttle closed for 3. Finally, had it running today after turning the idle all the way in. Problem is, the bike had absolute no power this time and kept wanting to die after holding it wide open. To me that sounds like it’s starving for fuel. The odd things that is throwing me off is that 1) the plug is light brown and not wet, which tells me the jetting may be too lean. From what I have read that is not at all how these are set up. 2) The bike uses little to no injection oil. Do these bikes use an incredlibly low amount of oil or.

Steps I plan to take tomorrow, remove carb and clean. Check that exhaust is not plugged. Change spark plug. If anyone knows what exactly could be causing this, the advice would be greatly appreciated.

bf884 bf884
7/20/2018 4:48 AM

Unplug the white coupler from the throttle switch. It should be behind the front number plate some where. This will disable the start/run mode but will still function to shut the bike off. The bike will function normally. This switch is a known trouble maker and will make the bike do some weird things. Unplug it and the problem should be gone. You will also see a slight performance gain.

bf884 bf884
7/20/2018 4:51 AM
Photo
chump6784 chump6784
7/20/2018 4:52 AM

When my kids pw50 was doing this it was because the float needle was sticking and not allowing fuel to enter the carb. A good shake or lift the wheels off the ground then drop it would fix it. Ours was an 04 model though, yours being so new is strange

bf884 bf884
7/20/2018 4:57 AM

Don’t forget to put you idle back. Lol. Don’t want to send it through the walls of the garage.

7/20/2018 5:04 AM

Thanks guys, I will check out those couple things tonight. I will update with whatever I figure out the issue to be.

bf884 bf884
7/20/2018 9:19 AM

Yeah let us know. The switch messes with the ignition curve. I’ve seen sputtering, hard to start, not starting, power loss and everything in between just because of a simple plug. I would venture to say this is 95% of the problem with all the pws. Why they even put it on there is beyond me. It starts and runs just fine, even better without it. As for your plug, it seems to be right with the brown color.

project racer project racer
7/20/2018 1:52 PM

Make sure to pull the restrictor washer out of the pipe where it meets the cylinder.

Paw Paw 271 Paw Paw 271
7/20/2018 2:39 PM

You said the bike only has a few hours on it, but failed to say how long it set between rides.

Paw Paw

7/20/2018 4:56 PM

Fixed it! Thank you to all for your advice! Went through each one and then would run it to pinpoint the culprit and it was apparently something in the carb. I had taken it apart, no build up of any sort so probably it was the needle sticking. Would not be surprising considering I turn the gas off each time it is put away. To answer pawpaw, the bike normally sets 3 to 4 weeks between being ran, so with the gas off, it may not have helped anything. None the less, my little guy was stoked to spin some laps on it tonight.

Bf884, the first thing I did unplug that coupler and while it didn’t fix the issue, it did make the bike more peppy and started easier than ever after carb was cleaned!

Project racer, washer was removed at dealership, but a side note I read a 4 pager on you helping another guy on the pw issues and it was quite insightful. Thank you for helping!

Paw Paw 271 Paw Paw 271
7/20/2018 6:42 PM

If is going to set more than a week, then drain the gas out of the carb and also use a fuel stabilizer. What you most likely had was a piece of dried fuel in the carb. When todays fuel dries it looks clear, but is hard as a rock and will clog jets and small carb passages very easy in just a couple of weeks.

Paw Paw

lumpy790 lumpy790
7/27/2018 2:16 PM

todays regular gas with ethanol goes bad really fast. High test seems to last longer.

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry