New Clutch

lcgordon711
Hi guys,
I have looked around and could not really find much. But I am trying to figure out when to replace my clutch plates. I have a 03 yz 125 I bought a couple of years ago. I have put about 30-35 hours on it from when I got it. I have not touched the clutch. I ride the bike pretty hard and use the clutch but Im not burning it up. I know what it is like to completely burn a clutch and it just slips all the time but that is not the case right now. I ride at 5000+ feet and am 175 w/o gear so the bike I know will have no power anyways. I just wonder if the clutch is slipping just that tiny bit were I could get a bit more out of it if I went with a fresh pack. Only thing I can really find online is how to tell if it is roasted and I know what that is like. Is there some kind of test or looking at the plates. Can I smell the oil?
Thanks,
|
captmoto
5/7/2021 11:14am
There isn't a whole lot more to know. Change oil regularly. If you have a caliper/micrometer you could measure your plates to see if they are within thickness specs but I think most of us wait for that slipping thing. You should pay attention to the clutch basket and hub for notching too. A lot of people here say they get a better engagement feel over stock, from the Rekluse Manual Torque Drive systems.
lcgordon711
5/7/2021 11:24am
captmoto wrote:
There isn't a whole lot more to know. Change oil regularly. If you have a caliper/micrometer you could measure your plates to see if they are...
There isn't a whole lot more to know. Change oil regularly. If you have a caliper/micrometer you could measure your plates to see if they are within thickness specs but I think most of us wait for that slipping thing. You should pay attention to the clutch basket and hub for notching too. A lot of people here say they get a better engagement feel over stock, from the Rekluse Manual Torque Drive systems.
Thanks for this. I thought about measuring the plates also. Im not trying to dump a bunch of money into this. This bike is just a budget bike for fun. I also have my 450 that is a bit more serious. But was always wondering about the clutch and wear and if I would notice a new clutch plates or not.
thanks
sandman768
5/7/2021 3:53pm
Take it apart, look for bluing of metal plates and or wear marks if plates are aluminum... Service manual does give minimum thickness measurements for both metal & fiber plates...

Post a reply to: New Clutch

The Latest