New 2018 KX450F strange noise

Related:
Create New Tag

7/5/2018 8:24 AM

Hello all,
I bought a new (leftover) 2018 KX450F last week. I just got done with the normal prep work and lit it off yesterday. I noticed that when I blip the throttle I hear a sound similar to what you expect a washer to make under vibration if you left a bolt loose (sort of that jingling sound). It sounds like it’s from the motor somewhere but I can’t seem to isolate it. I previously owned several KX450F’s (09,11,13) and numerous CRF450’s and don’t recall the noise.

Any thoughts or am I just being paranoid?

|

7/5/2018 9:27 AM

I picked up a 18' 250F and have noticed the valvetrain has a lot of chatter. I know its not a 450, but i have 15' 450F and had an 08' prior and thought the new bike was very loud. I checked valve clearnace multiple times and torqued every bolt i could reach and it still does it. I am just chalking it up to design.

|

I don't crash, I just run out of talent

7/5/2018 9:39 AM

NJKawi913 wrote:

I picked up a 18' 250F and have noticed the valvetrain has a lot of chatter. I know its not a 450, but i have 15' 450F and had an 08' prior and thought the new bike was very loud. I checked valve clearnace multiple times and torqued every bolt i could reach and it still does it. I am just chalking it up to design.

Thanks, kinda what I thought. Hard not to be a little paranoid with what we spend on these things these days...

|

7/6/2018 12:50 PM

Wouldnt surprise me if its the chain idler, thats above the swing arm on the frame spar. They dont run a bearing on that one if I recall correctly...

|

7/6/2018 9:14 PM

So an update on case anyone searches this...wait for it...I’m a moron. I had left the top shock ring slightly loose so I could set my sag and forgot. The noise was the ring rattling on the shock. Went to set sag and it dawned on me...

Dmm you are right on the chain roller. No bearing. Kinda hokey if you ask me.

|

7/7/2018 12:54 AM

Next time you hear a noise, remember that the motor is basically the same as the other 3 kx450s you had. If it was design, all of those bikes would do it. Speaking of top rings on the shock spring... i need to do mine too lol

|