Need some bike advice 2014 YZ250F

DMJ232
Fantasy
1469th
Edited Date/Time 10/18/2019 9:54am
First off, if this is not the appropriate section please let me know and I will remove it.

I took about 10 years off from riding dirt bikes, got the itch to ride again and bought a 2014 YZ250F. The bike has over 100 hours on it (figured that out after I bought it), and its unknown if anything has been rebuilt (I was stupid and bought the bike anyway). I took the bike to get it looked over at my local dealer and everything checked out great. The dealer did a compression test and a leak down test and he said the bike looked great.

My question is, should I sell the bike and get something newer? Should I get the motor rebuilt (Top-End) and just keep the 2014 YZ250F? I will not be doing the work for the rebuild, so I am worried about the cost of a the rebuild vs value of the bike. I have a couple trade offers as well (older 125/250 2-strokes).

I do not intend on racing, I just enjoy riding casually on tracks and some trails locally.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
|
10/14/2019 6:57pm
Depending on how it was ridden 100 hours isn’t a death sentence. Did the dealer check the valves? If the valves are in spec and the compression and leak down numbers are good I wouldn’t have a problem riding it. A top end and cam chain should be done sooner or later, it that’s true on any bike you get
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
10/14/2019 10:20pm
Depending on how it was ridden 100 hours isn’t a death sentence. Did the dealer check the valves? If the valves are in spec and the...
Depending on how it was ridden 100 hours isn’t a death sentence. Did the dealer check the valves? If the valves are in spec and the compression and leak down numbers are good I wouldn’t have a problem riding it. A top end and cam chain should be done sooner or later, it that’s true on any bike you get
How much did you pay for the bike? That will give us an answer on how much you should spend fixing it.

I have a friend that did an easy 150 on a 2015 or 2026 Yamaha. If the bike is running well and seems to be fine. Ride it for a bit then sell it.

If money isn’t a problem, get rid of it and move on to something newer.
DMJ232
Fantasy
1469th
10/15/2019 6:12am
Depending on how it was ridden 100 hours isn’t a death sentence. Did the dealer check the valves? If the valves are in spec and the...
Valves were in spec when it was checked. I was thinking of just doing the top end so I have some peace of mind...
Thanks for the response!
DMJ232
Fantasy
1469th
10/15/2019 6:14am
How much did you pay for the bike? That will give us an answer on how much you should spend fixing it. I have a friend...
How much did you pay for the bike? That will give us an answer on how much you should spend fixing it.

I have a friend that did an easy 150 on a 2015 or 2026 Yamaha. If the bike is running well and seems to be fine. Ride it for a bit then sell it.

If money isn’t a problem, get rid of it and move on to something newer.
I paid 3k for the bike. The bike runs great I haven't noticed any issues with it at all. The guy I bought it from said he only rode it at his farm (which means nothing).

The Shop

kb228
10/15/2019 6:25am
Id at least throw in a new piston. At least then you can inspect the crankshaft. The only tests he did were to the top end. 100 hours is a lot on a motor without some kind of rebuild.

Look at it this way, if you like the bike then make it nice and reliable and ride it for 2-3 years. A newer bike is going to be another $1500-$2000. Youre spending the money either way. Even if its newer, you STILL dont know whats going on in the motor.

DMJ232
Fantasy
1469th
10/15/2019 7:13am
kb228 wrote:
Id at least throw in a new piston. At least then you can inspect the crankshaft. The only tests he did were to the top end...
Id at least throw in a new piston. At least then you can inspect the crankshaft. The only tests he did were to the top end. 100 hours is a lot on a motor without some kind of rebuild.

Look at it this way, if you like the bike then make it nice and reliable and ride it for 2-3 years. A newer bike is going to be another $1500-$2000. Youre spending the money either way. Even if its newer, you STILL dont know whats going on in the motor.

True, I think I will hang onto the bike and get it rebuilt this winter. From what I read they are awesome bikes and they are pretty reliable if you take care of them. Is there any major differences between 2014 vs the newer models that I would even notice?

Thanks again
mx724
10/15/2019 7:41am
Might want to consider the shift stopper update along with the water pump impeller update if not done already. At 100 hrs if your going to do the top end ....Id give some Serious thought to a new crank. Also if you dont have the tuner its worth the money as it can male the power far more manageable. You should be able to find info in both the impeller and shift stopper updates on here.

There were some select cases of connecting rod failures(not many but worth knowing) I changed my piston at 30 hrs and since I was already in there had my crank rebuilt with a Carillo rod for a piece of mind. When it comes to preventative maintenance I peronally go the extra mile. Otherwise its been a solid bike w lots of power.
mx724
10/15/2019 7:42am
Might want to consider the shift stopper update along with the water pump impeller update if not done already. At 100 hrs if your going to do the top end ....Id give some Serious thought to a new crank. Also if you dont have the tuner its worth the money as it can make the power far more manageable. You should be able to find info on both the impeller and shift stopper updates on here.

There were some select cases of connecting rod failures(not many but worth knowing) I changed my piston at 30 hrs and since I was already in there had my crank rebuilt with a Carillo rod for a piece of mind. When it comes to preventative maintenance I personally go the extra mile. Otherwise its been a solid bike w lots of power.
DMJ232
Fantasy
1469th
10/15/2019 8:31am
mx724 wrote:
Might want to consider the shift stopper update along with the water pump impeller update if not done already. At 100 hrs if your going to...
Might want to consider the shift stopper update along with the water pump impeller update if not done already. At 100 hrs if your going to do the top end ....Id give some Serious thought to a new crank. Also if you dont have the tuner its worth the money as it can male the power far more manageable. You should be able to find info in both the impeller and shift stopper updates on here.

There were some select cases of connecting rod failures(not many but worth knowing) I changed my piston at 30 hrs and since I was already in there had my crank rebuilt with a Carillo rod for a piece of mind. When it comes to preventative maintenance I peronally go the extra mile. Otherwise its been a solid bike w lots of power.
I have a tuner but I have not changed any of the settings yet (kind of scared to do it). I found some tunes on the Yamaha site and so I think I am going to start there. Which tune do you run? My bike is stock minus a FMF slip on.

I will look into the impeller and shift stopper issues (I think I read about them already on here).

Thanks man
mx724
10/15/2019 9:34am
I can post the map im running this evening. I was nervous about making changes at first but its not bad.
DMJ232
Fantasy
1469th
10/15/2019 9:38am
mx724 wrote:
I can post the map im running this evening. I was nervous about making changes at first but its not bad.
Thanks I appreciate it!
mx724
10/15/2019 10:22am

Im still fine tuning it but this map really moved the power to mid/top. Smoothed out the abrupt throttle response Off the bottom which was making cornering a real problem early on. Also allowed it to rev further vs falling flat on its face up top.

i also dropped a tooth on the rear and went 5mm up in the clamps. It took me a while to find a good setting. Sag is around 105-108. I had to drop a spring rate as well do to my weight.

Happy to share any other setup tips if needed.
DMJ232
Fantasy
1469th
10/15/2019 12:53pm
mx724 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/10/15/379578/s1200_C1EC6391_183F_427C_B8A0_2D9B7B28E956.jpg[/img] Im still fine tuning it but this map really moved the power to mid/top. Smoothed out the abrupt throttle response Off the bottom which was...

Im still fine tuning it but this map really moved the power to mid/top. Smoothed out the abrupt throttle response Off the bottom which was making cornering a real problem early on. Also allowed it to rev further vs falling flat on its face up top.

i also dropped a tooth on the rear and went 5mm up in the clamps. It took me a while to find a good setting. Sag is around 105-108. I had to drop a spring rate as well do to my weight.

Happy to share any other setup tips if needed.
I really appreciate the tips MX724. I will go home and upload that tune to see how it works out for me. I will let you know how it works out.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1116th
10/18/2019 9:54am
Any 4 stroke with 100 hours on it, you should at least be thinking about replacing the timing chain. On a 250F, depending on who was riding it, I would be thinking about the valves and getting the head re-cut also. Pistons last longer on a 4 stroke than they do on a 2 stroke. But yeah, that too.

Post a reply to: Need some bike advice 2014 YZ250F

The Latest