Need help with Fork Setup

I have a 2013 KX450F with the KYB Air Forks. I have no idea what pressure to run. I think stock is 35lbs? I was out riding the other day and on a 10ft drop I bottomed out HARD! It was a flat landing but still... Stinger in the wrists! Is that normal? Obviously I don't want them rock hard either. That just seems like a pretty small drop to be bottoming out on. Do I just need to adjust compression rate? I only weigh 155lbs too so I'm not a huge guy. Any help would be AWESOME!
And please don't just link that video the Vital put up a few years ago. That does not help. It just shows how to put air in the forks. I can do that. I'm not an idiot.
|
Acidreamer
4/6/2017 11:18am
+1 on the service manual. I believe the air in those act as your springs. If your spring rate is too low you will bottom. A good way to get close is to increase the pressure till the forks dont move much when you sit on the bike. After that play with it till you find what you like.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/6/2017 4:29pm
From MXA in their test of that bike:

(4) Never-exceed number.
The suggested pressure range on the KX450F is 32 psi to 41 psi. Never pressurize a PSF fork leg to more than 73 psi.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/mxas-2013-kawasaki-kx450f-motocross-…

Remember, you have clickers to fiddle with as well. Go all the way clockwise with the ones on the top and then back out 10 clicks as a starting point. Clockwise will make them slower (stiffer) and counterclockwise will make them faster (softer). There are usually 21 adjustment settings on compression clickers.
mxb2
4/6/2017 7:41pm
Acidreamer wrote:
+1 on the service manual. I believe the air in those act as your springs. If your spring rate is too low you will bottom. A...
+1 on the service manual. I believe the air in those act as your springs. If your spring rate is too low you will bottom. A good way to get close is to increase the pressure till the forks dont move much when you sit on the bike. After that play with it till you find what you like.
X3. Service manual

The Shop

4/6/2017 7:47pm
I have the service manual. All it says is the stock settings. I want someone to say xxlbs, xx clicks rebound, xx clicks compression. Basically their own settings.
4/7/2017 5:48am
I have the service manual. All it says is the stock settings. I want someone to say xxlbs, xx clicks rebound, xx clicks compression. Basically their...
I have the service manual. All it says is the stock settings. I want someone to say xxlbs, xx clicks rebound, xx clicks compression. Basically their own settings.
Go to the MOTOCROSS ACTION site and see what they recommend. Or go to RACERX site and see what Ping used. They might give you a start but riders weight and speed not to mention skill would be a big factor.
4/7/2017 8:12am
My cousin has a 13 KX like yours and we actually did some testing a year ago to make the bike have better resistance but still be plush, he also had to run higher PSI than he would have liked just to keep it from bottoming but that made the fork somewhat harsh so what we did was add some oil to each leg (cant remember how much). The extra oil gives the fork more bottoming resistance so you can run a lower PSI so that the fork feels more plush in the top and mid of the stroke. I didn't ride the bike after we did this but he told me "Holy $hit its so much better". Hope this helps

Post a reply to: Need help with Fork Setup

The Latest