Need help IDing YZ front end parts.

FWYT
Edited Date/Time 1/5/2018 9:57pm
OK, this might sound like a fuster cluck, so bear with me....

Been working on a '95 YZ250 fixer upper. I had read about later model suspension bolting on so I started piecing things together. It seems a lot of the various YZ models over the years share some common parts here and there so it's gotten a little confusing.

I got a set of triple clamps from a guy at a shop who just had a box of randoms in the back. He dug through his YZ box and pulled out these. Stem length, bearing and diameter is perfect and slipped right in my '95 frame like it was made for it. He wasn't sure what year or model of Yamaha they came off.

Next was a set of forks that, I thought the guy said, came from an '08 YZ450F. Slipped right in the clamps.

Then came a wheel from an '09 YZ250F. However, I had to use an earlier axle and spacers. The axle for the '09 wheel was too short. I used '04 YZ250 axle that is a little longer and one of the spacers is longer. This one.

The fork guards were listed as coming from an '07 250F. But again, parts crossover all over the place through this era.
A couple things on the forks- the caliper mounting bosses are spaced right about 102mm apart. And on the right leg, the fork guard mounts are positioned so the two side ones are wrapped around the back of the fork, not just front and either side.

Soooooo before I start goofing around with brake calipers and mounting brackets and getting the wrong parts, anyone hazard a guess as to what model fork and triple clamp I actually have?

|
samcampbell
1/5/2018 9:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2018 9:08pm
Not sure about the clamps, but the forks are definitely from 06/07 based on the lug/ fork guard style. I would assume that the clamps are also from around those years but the clamps basically look the same even on the new bikes.

You will probably need a caliper from 06/07 as the caliper was changed to a smaller one in 08 when the fork lugs changed.

On another note, those forks have DLC/ Kashima coatings and are pretty trick. Good find!

FWYT
1/5/2018 9:37pm
Not sure about the clamps, but the forks are definitely from 06/07 based on the lug/ fork guard style. I would assume that the clamps are...
Not sure about the clamps, but the forks are definitely from 06/07 based on the lug/ fork guard style. I would assume that the clamps are also from around those years but the clamps basically look the same even on the new bikes.

You will probably need a caliper from 06/07 as the caliper was changed to a smaller one in 08 when the fork lugs changed.

On another note, those forks have DLC/ Kashima coatings and are pretty trick. Good find!

Sam, thank you very much! That is a huge help. So that is what has been screwing me up - I thought I had '08 forks.

The coatings on the forks--- between us, the coatings are somewhat worn so I go that stuff CHEAP. The local vet pro I got them from wasn't going to bother getting them recoated as he had moved on to a fresh set. So they were just taking up space in his garage and he just wanted them out. Way too worn for his use but they will be perfect for this project and my slow ass. Plus, they do look kinda cool.

Thank you again!!!
samcampbell
1/5/2018 9:57pm
FWYT wrote:
Sam, thank you very much! That is a huge help. So that is what has been screwing me up - I thought I had '08 forks...
Sam, thank you very much! That is a huge help. So that is what has been screwing me up - I thought I had '08 forks.

The coatings on the forks--- between us, the coatings are somewhat worn so I go that stuff CHEAP. The local vet pro I got them from wasn't going to bother getting them recoated as he had moved on to a fresh set. So they were just taking up space in his garage and he just wanted them out. Way too worn for his use but they will be perfect for this project and my slow ass. Plus, they do look kinda cool.

Thank you again!!!
Anytime, hopefully that will get you pointed in the right direction as far as what other parts you need. Just scrolled through your build thread as well and the bike is looking good! Excited to see it when it's all finished.

Post a reply to: Need help IDing YZ front end parts.

The Latest