NON MOTO:Toy Hauler repair

gharmon
Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 7:14pm
Not sure where to put this but wanted to get some ideas from some of you guys. It's kinda non moto but hey a lot of us have them and they are a popular item in the pits. I figured some of you guys might have some suggestions for me. I could take it to a shop in my area (most are several weeks turn-around-time) but due to race season starting up, and I'm a cheapskate I'd like to repair it myself. I'm not familar at all with toy hauler/travel trailer construction which is why i'm here.

Question is that the hinges on my rear door are starting to push thru the door. I'll include some pics and if anyway has a suggestion on how to reinforce or repair this please share. The pictures from the inside are hard to see but when the door is the open (down) position these cracks are exacerbated. Thanks in advance.

|
easydoesit
3/21/2018 4:48pm
If you don't get any responses here, I would recommend to post in an RV forum.
captmoto
3/21/2018 5:28pm
Go to RV.net in the toy hauler section. I seem to remember someone with a problem like that.
newmann
3/21/2018 5:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 6:01pm
I see a trip to the sheet metal shop for some pre cut strips of aluminum and some longer bolts and maybe nuts. Can you sandwich the aluminum panels inside and out? Probably have to shim the lower half of the hinges as well. Outer side upper hinge looks stepped so the would require 2 strips. Drill it and glue down one side at a time with some Lexel adhesive before bolting it all back together. Measure it and call a local sheet metal shop to shear you off the strips in desired sizes.
Paw Paw 271
3/21/2018 7:14pm
I was able to do a repair much like this on a toy hauler for my son. We used 1/8"-3/16" thick cut about 12" high, and cut to fit the door width, steel plates both in and out. The outside hinges may have to be modified to regain the proper alignment. Glue both steel sheets to door panel and then drill and use long bolts go all the way through the steel sheets and the door. You will need to add bolts around the edge of the plates as well. Then you will need to seal the edges of the plates.
The best repair would be to replace the door, but that may be hard to come by.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: NON MOTO:Toy Hauler repair

The Latest