Mystery part fell out during oil change

Related:
Create New Tag

11/17/2019 10:10 AM

Just did a top end rebuild and clutch swap on my 03 rm250. After a few minutes of riding the bike I started to have a shifting problem (wouldn’t go into neutral, would only upshift but I believe I could only go down to third). Drained the oil and this little guy came out...

Pulled the clutch cover off and everything looks normal. Going to pull the right case cover off next but thought I’d see if there any Moto Sherlock Holmes on the forums today who might have a clue what this is.

Cheers!

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

11/17/2019 10:33 AM

Looks like a knock pin?

|

If you like uncle tony's meatballs, you'll love his sausage

Now that's Italian

11/17/2019 11:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/17/2019 11:45 AM

Yeah definitely looks like a case locator pin. It's a fair bet that was sitting under your gear selector arm, hence why you could only shift up.

|

11/17/2019 11:43 AM

MX690 wrote:

Yeah definitely looks like a case locator pin. It's a fair bet that was sitting under your gear selector arm, hence why you ...more

Yeah, wow!

|

If you like uncle tony's meatballs, you'll love his sausage

Now that's Italian

11/17/2019 12:03 PM

Uncle Tony wrote:

Looks like a knock pin?

Thanks for the help guys - that’s exactly what it was!! Did a last minute right case gasket swap due to a small oil leak the night... it musta dropped in there when I was putting the case back on. Lucky nothing else got banged up in the mix! Are these necessary or can I get away with ridding without it? Cheers!

|

11/17/2019 12:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/17/2019 12:24 PM

mxr1der34 wrote:

Thanks for the help guys - that’s exactly what it was!! Did a last minute right case gasket swap due to a small oil leak the ...more

Yes they are necessary, they keep the case lined up perfect, if you are super desperate to go for a ride you could probably get away with it, but I would certainly be ordering a new one. I'm presuming the other pin is still there so that helps.

|

11/17/2019 12:36 PM

pins are cheap, there usually on ebay for pennies. 8x12 or 14 is the size you will need

|

11/17/2019 4:08 PM

X2 on dowel pin.

|

11/25/2019 7:28 AM

So you are one of those guys with the good luck that counter balances my shit luck. Had that been mine it would have been something like the pin from the shift arm that rides in the shift drum. I would be splitting cases! Congrats on the easy fix

|