Mystery Noise - 2018 KTM 150 SX

kab210
Hey all, seeking any leads in what a mystery noise could possibly be. Bike is a 2018 150SX setup for off-road. It has 102 hours and I am meticulous on maintenance. The noise is a whirring “turbo” sound that is very audible when idling and lightly blipping the throttle. There is no vibration felt through the bars/pegs and if you ride the bike, all feels normal. it appears to be coming from the clutch side of the motor. I assumed it was a crank bearing starting to go. I tore it down and put new OEM crank bearings. The crank was tight, well lubricated, no play in big end, no play in crank bearings or any apparent issues. I checked all trans bearings while it was apart and all seemed tight and well lubricated. Top end is flawless (has 10 hours on it, I do top end every 30 hours). After reassembling the noise is still present. Pulling in the clutch makes no difference. i have ruled out external vibrations such as pipe, skid plate, etc.
|
Rickyisms
10/5/2020 9:56pm
My 16 did a very similar thing once but never reoccurred. It was a wet and muddy day where I was doing a lot of hitting the same section once or twice and then pulling off and watching my friend do the same. I don’t know if it was that or the increased heat (Middle of summer in Florida, really muddy day so the bike was working a lot harder) but it never did it again.
kab210
10/6/2020 4:33am
SwapperMX wrote:
Have you ruled out water pump impeller/bearing ??
Yes, I actually checked it before I tore it down, hoping it was that and not crank bearings. I rode some single track on a Thursday and it ran absolutely fine. Cleaned/prepped for a ride that weekend and as soon as I started it I noticed it.

The Shop

kab210
10/6/2020 4:34am
Can you post a video to YouTube or Vimeo with the noise?
Can you post a video to YouTube or Vimeo with the noise?
I will post a video of it when I can get over to my shop. Hoping to this afternoon.

Post a reply to: Mystery Noise - 2018 KTM 150 SX

The Latest