My forks are not fully extending

Related:
Create New Tag

9/22/2018 4:29 PM

I recently noticed that when I compress my forks, they are extending back all the way. I can get them about half an inch higher by pulling on the handlebars and they stay there until I compress them again. I'm pretty sure it is not normal but I could be wrong. It's a 2012 150sx that I bought in june. I'm sure someone on here can tell me if it's normal or not, and how to fix it!

|

9/22/2018 5:36 PM

Every bike squats under its own weight a little. Normal.

|

9/22/2018 5:58 PM

if it sags really far you could have a broken fork spring

|

9/22/2018 6:16 PM

But is it normal that it stays up when I pull it? That's what made me think there there was a problem. I guess it has something to do with stiction or something... Is it possible to ride with a broken spring without noticing it? I never broke one before but I guess it would make the handling terrible!

|

9/22/2018 8:59 PM

Too soft of fork springs combined with either crappy seals or misaligned/tweaked forks.

|

9/23/2018 5:38 AM

Stupid question but have you checked the pinch bolt torques? Could be contributing

|

RPM Performance
CT

9/23/2018 7:38 AM

I haven’t checked the pinch bolt torque or if the forks are aligned properly. I never had to take them off, so it could be the cause! I’ll try it when I get back home.

|

9/23/2018 12:37 PM

If the clamps are warped the forks wont work properly also

|

9/24/2018 11:42 AM

I took the front wheel and the forks off the bike and I reassembled them making sure everything is properly aligned and torqued. It solved the problem! They are still about a quarter of an inch from full extension, but they fall back at this position after I pull on the bars, which is normal, like kb228 said. Thanks a lot! I do feel like an idiot, I should have thought about it.

|

9/24/2018 3:23 PM

They make a blue pill for that. However, if your fork leg stays extended more than four hours, please seek medical attention...

|