Mousse for MX?

Mx391
Edited Date/Time 10/31/2018 8:16pm
Getting real tired of changing tubes after riding on shitty concrete tracks in Mid TN.

I have zero knowledge of these mousses, but from my understanding its more for woods racing? How are they for MX?
|
Lynch
10/23/2018 9:50pm
They work just fine, most if not everyone uses mousses in the GP's and the nationals. I will not personally race without them.
omalley
10/23/2018 10:42pm
Mx391 wrote:
Getting real tired of changing tubes after riding on shitty concrete tracks in Mid TN. I have zero knowledge of these mousses, but from my understanding...
Getting real tired of changing tubes after riding on shitty concrete tracks in Mid TN.

I have zero knowledge of these mousses, but from my understanding its more for woods racing? How are they for MX?
I know Suzuki used them somewhere around the 90’s/early 2000’s at Milleville...I know this only because I was standing in the pits at Washougal when they gave a “ready to change” rim and mounted tire to Larocco Sr without telling him it was a mousse...he caught them snickering and lost his shit, lol...
aees
10/24/2018 12:56pm
I can not race or train without a mousse in the rear tire. Better feeling if you ask me (better as in different), compared to having to ride with 14-15psi. Front i cant ride with mousse, bike turns poorly. But 99 out of 100 flats for me are in rear.

Some mousse is better then others. Dunlop, Nitro and pirelli works good and holds up 15h or so. Michellin has better feeling and is lighter but does not hold up very well.

Mousse requires that you match the tire with the right mousse. Different brands can be matched.
YZed250
10/24/2018 3:51pm
aees wrote:
I can not race or train without a mousse in the rear tire. Better feeling if you ask me (better as in different), compared to having...
I can not race or train without a mousse in the rear tire. Better feeling if you ask me (better as in different), compared to having to ride with 14-15psi. Front i cant ride with mousse, bike turns poorly. But 99 out of 100 flats for me are in rear.

Some mousse is better then others. Dunlop, Nitro and pirelli works good and holds up 15h or so. Michellin has better feeling and is lighter but does not hold up very well.

Mousse requires that you match the tire with the right mousse. Different brands can be matched.
Sheesh, 15h? Add some lube, bro! Heat kills mousse tubes, so the more lube, the better!
Mousse tubes are a must if there is any risk of a pinch flat, or tearing the valve (MX or offroad).
The only downside (IMHO) is the cost of buying and replacing them (~1 set per year for a weekend racer) and learning a new technique to installing them.

The Shop

Mx391
10/24/2018 9:40pm
aees wrote:
I can not race or train without a mousse in the rear tire. Better feeling if you ask me (better as in different), compared to having...

So you mean if I have bridgstone tires I need Bridgestone mousse?
aees
10/25/2018 8:28am
aees wrote:

YZed250 wrote:
Sheesh, 15h? Add some lube, bro! Heat kills mousse tubes, so the more lube, the better! Mousse tubes are a must if there is any risk...
Sheesh, 15h? Add some lube, bro! Heat kills mousse tubes, so the more lube, the better!
Mousse tubes are a must if there is any risk of a pinch flat, or tearing the valve (MX or offroad).
The only downside (IMHO) is the cost of buying and replacing them (~1 set per year for a weekend racer) and learning a new technique to installing them.
15h, then they are to small/soft. I go 1-2h then re-lube them with special plumbing lube. Michelin is the only one that falls apart after around 10-15h. Most others just get to small. You can cut in a piece from another mousse to make it bigger again but for rear tires it does not a lot of hours more.

Depending on tracks and weather (hot/cold) you can get maybe 20-30h out of them,

I do around 100-150h per year on mousses.
aees
10/25/2018 8:34am
aees wrote:

Mx391 wrote:
So you mean if I have bridgstone tires I need Bridgestone mousse?
For Bridgestone 110-tire you can not run 110 pirelli or dunlop mousse. Bridgestone is wide as f*** and high risk that you separate the mousse from the tire while riding.

If you run Pirelli MX32, 110, you can fit either Dunlop, Pirelli or Nitro mousse in that tire. Nitro you might want to go with a 100 mousse though, or you need a rabakonda or similar to insert the mousse since it is big. Nitro 110 fits better in the bridgestone 110.

Michelin 110 mousse also works in Pirelli and Dunlop 110 tires. Michelin front mousse (M15 or M16) does not fit well in Dunlop MX32 front 21-80/100 tire, thats all i know. But fits good in Pirelli 21-100/80.

I recommend your first mousse to be Dunlop or Pirelli 110, and use a Pirelli or Dunlop MX32 110 tire.
Mx391
10/25/2018 9:17pm
aees wrote:
For Bridgestone 110-tire you can not run 110 pirelli or dunlop mousse. Bridgestone is wide as f*** and high risk that you separate the mousse from...
For Bridgestone 110-tire you can not run 110 pirelli or dunlop mousse. Bridgestone is wide as f*** and high risk that you separate the mousse from the tire while riding.

If you run Pirelli MX32, 110, you can fit either Dunlop, Pirelli or Nitro mousse in that tire. Nitro you might want to go with a 100 mousse though, or you need a rabakonda or similar to insert the mousse since it is big. Nitro 110 fits better in the bridgestone 110.

Michelin 110 mousse also works in Pirelli and Dunlop 110 tires. Michelin front mousse (M15 or M16) does not fit well in Dunlop MX32 front 21-80/100 tire, thats all i know. But fits good in Pirelli 21-100/80.

I recommend your first mousse to be Dunlop or Pirelli 110, and use a Pirelli or Dunlop MX32 110 tire.
I've got a brand new hard pack 110 Bridgstone on now. Maybe I'll just use a tube until this tire wears out then I'll get a matching tire/mousse combo for next time.
joe846
10/26/2018 5:44pm
More roll than a tube up front and you can’t change for track conditions. Mousse in the rear is money but feels more dead and a little more harsh on square edge stuff.

You get used to what you ride, though.
Paw Paw 271
10/27/2018 11:50am
They are fine for MX, but understand that the life is kind of short and they will start coming apart if used too long. The tire also feels dead on the track.
RCF
10/27/2018 3:37pm
aees wrote:

YZed250 wrote:
Sheesh, 15h? Add some lube, bro! Heat kills mousse tubes, so the more lube, the better! Mousse tubes are a must if there is any risk...
aees wrote:
15h, then they are to small/soft. I go 1-2h then re-lube them with special plumbing lube. Michelin is the only one that falls apart after around...
15h, then they are to small/soft. I go 1-2h then re-lube them with special plumbing lube. Michelin is the only one that falls apart after around 10-15h. Most others just get to small. You can cut in a piece from another mousse to make it bigger again but for rear tires it does not a lot of hours more.

Depending on tracks and weather (hot/cold) you can get maybe 20-30h out of them,

I do around 100-150h per year on mousses.
We usually run them 10 to 15 hours max, I know guys that won't run them past 6 hours two races. They're kind of expensive to use for practicing we only use them on Race days , tubes the rest of the time.
Zr0man
10/28/2018 4:22pm
Quality Control and customer support on the Nitro seems to be lacking. Wrong sizing and two weeks for an email reply. Going back to Michelin.
BobPA
10/29/2018 7:17am
They always felt a bit wallowy on track when I tried them. Probably something you would get used to, but I only spun a few laps here and there. i think the front is much more noticeable than the back.
aees
10/29/2018 1:55pm
Don't need mousse in front unless you have a championship ride on the line. Rear mousse actually feels better In my opinion then a tube does. But requires decent match between tire and mousse size. If you need more then tire irons to put the mousse in, it is not matched well ?
BR8ES
10/29/2018 2:04pm
I was on the fence about any version of these for MX and am no closer to jumping off.... yes/no/maybe.......
RCF
10/29/2018 2:34pm
I think for Motocross there a waste of money, if anything I would just run tubeless system you can run to any air pressure without any worry of a flat. If you're an off-road racer and fast bibs are a must.
aees
10/29/2018 3:54pm
RCF wrote:
I think for Motocross there a waste of money, if anything I would just run tubeless system you can run to any air pressure without any...
I think for Motocross there a waste of money, if anything I would just run tubeless system you can run to any air pressure without any worry of a flat. If you're an off-road racer and fast bibs are a must.
Guess that is why all the teams in mxgp runs mousse instead of tubeless systems... We can ask Barcia ?

Tubeless systems are extremely unreliable if you are a racer and need to a avoid flats. Both myself and some other riders I know that was sponsored by tubliss got more flats the the ones running tubes.

Avoid flat in rear you need around 1-1.2bar minimum on a tube unless you run perfectly groomed tracks with no rocks or square edge stuff.
RCF
10/29/2018 4:19pm
RCF wrote:
I think for Motocross there a waste of money, if anything I would just run tubeless system you can run to any air pressure without any...
aees wrote:
Guess that is why all the teams in mxgp runs mousse instead of tubeless systems... We can ask Barcia ? Tubeless systems are extremely unreliable if...
Guess that is why all the teams in mxgp runs mousse instead of tubeless systems... We can ask Barcia ?

Tubeless systems are extremely unreliable if you are a racer and need to a avoid flats. Both myself and some other riders I know that was sponsored by tubliss got more flats the the ones running tubes.

Avoid flat in rear you need around 1-1.2bar minimum on a tube unless you run perfectly groomed tracks with no rocks or square edge stuff.
Didn't realize the OP was a pro racer ass clown, they're only unreliable if you don't know how to install them correctly but what do I know. I'm not a pro racer like you and your buddies.
BR8ES
10/29/2018 5:17pm
The biggest drawback is the mixed info on durability for me.
RCF
10/29/2018 5:47pm
BR8ES wrote:
That's because there are affected by conditions that they are used in , if you are beating them off a lot of rocks or if you are a Moto guy doing a lot of big jumps they're going to wear faster then if your guy just puttering around the woods. You'll feel when they start to go bad, unfortunately there's not a straight answer for your question because it's different for everybody. as mentioned above 10 to 15 hours is a good guideline, any more than that it's going to be like running on a flat tire. One other thing is they have a shelf life once you start using them I wouldn't keep them for more than one season Michelin recommends only 6 months.
BR8ES
10/29/2018 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 6:28pm
BR8ES wrote:
RCF wrote:
That's because there are affected by conditions that they are used in , if you are beating them off a lot of rocks or if you...
That's because there are affected by conditions that they are used in , if you are beating them off a lot of rocks or if you are a Moto guy doing a lot of big jumps they're going to wear faster then if your guy just puttering around the woods. You'll feel when they start to go bad, unfortunately there's not a straight answer for your question because it's different for everybody. as mentioned above 10 to 15 hours is a good guideline, any more than that it's going to be like running on a flat tire. One other thing is they have a shelf life once you start using them I wouldn't keep them for more than one season Michelin recommends only 6 months.
I understand and appreciate the feedback...the cost vs. Benefit is the deciding factor I guess. That's not a whole lot of hours, some say more, others less. Almost bought some Nuetechs the other day, still have the Tubliss and HD tubes.
RCF
10/29/2018 6:54pm
BR8ES wrote:
RCF wrote:
That's because there are affected by conditions that they are used in , if you are beating them off a lot of rocks or if you...
BR8ES wrote:
I understand and appreciate the feedback...the cost vs. Benefit is the deciding factor I guess. That's not a whole lot of hours, some say more, others...
I understand and appreciate the feedback...the cost vs. Benefit is the deciding factor I guess. That's not a whole lot of hours, some say more, others less. Almost bought some Nuetechs the other day, still have the Tubliss and HD tubes.
I'm with you on the cost that's why we only use them for racing, for practicing just use tubes.
10/29/2018 9:00pm
Definetely wouldn't recomend tubliss for moto. The biggest advantage of tubliss is running the super low psi (3-4) so you get those traction gains in the woods on that slick and Rocky terrain. I'd be shocked if you didn't blow the thing out, pop the inner tube or dent the shit out of ur rim if you came down off a big jump with the tubliss. Bibs are the shit though, the only 100% flat proof setup out there. I ran em on the track and in the woods while I was racing expert. I loved the "deadening" effect the bibs had in the woods...soaked up everything and virtually eliminated the ricochet feeling when charging through those new England rock gardens. Anyone who grew up racing netra knows exactly what I'm talking about. On the track they were good until they started to really break down. The most noticeable in the front...in corners it would constantly feel like it was pushing out or folding over. But like one other poster already said need to be tended to with the lube otherwise the heat will cause them to break down much quicker than they normally would. And until you do a few they can definitely be a bitch to change out...especially when new. Also, I've only ever ran michelins...10-15 years ago they were the only name in town. Switched to tubes when my full time racing "career" ended...cheaper and easier to change. BUT i have been wanting to try that nitro mousse, I wonder if there's anything to that whole nitrogen infused thing or if it's just a gimmick. Good luck with whatever you end up going with man!!!
BobPA
10/30/2018 9:24am
Definetely wouldn't recomend tubliss for moto. The biggest advantage of tubliss is running the super low psi (3-4) so you get those traction gains in the...
Definetely wouldn't recomend tubliss for moto. The biggest advantage of tubliss is running the super low psi (3-4) so you get those traction gains in the woods on that slick and Rocky terrain. I'd be shocked if you didn't blow the thing out, pop the inner tube or dent the shit out of ur rim if you came down off a big jump with the tubliss. Bibs are the shit though, the only 100% flat proof setup out there. I ran em on the track and in the woods while I was racing expert. I loved the "deadening" effect the bibs had in the woods...soaked up everything and virtually eliminated the ricochet feeling when charging through those new England rock gardens. Anyone who grew up racing netra knows exactly what I'm talking about. On the track they were good until they started to really break down. The most noticeable in the front...in corners it would constantly feel like it was pushing out or folding over. But like one other poster already said need to be tended to with the lube otherwise the heat will cause them to break down much quicker than they normally would. And until you do a few they can definitely be a bitch to change out...especially when new. Also, I've only ever ran michelins...10-15 years ago they were the only name in town. Switched to tubes when my full time racing "career" ended...cheaper and easier to change. BUT i have been wanting to try that nitro mousse, I wonder if there's anything to that whole nitrogen infused thing or if it's just a gimmick. Good luck with whatever you end up going with man!!!
Well prepare to be shocked. I know a bunch of guys running Tubliss who also ride moto. You honestly think a 2mm rubber tube is going to prevent dents in a rim? You can run whatever pressure you want with Tubliss....Not just 3 or 4 PSI. Tubliss works best if you do the initial install on a brand new, or nearly new rim. The small inner tube is below the lip of the rim...Please explain to me how it would " pop the inner tube or dent the shit out of ur rim if you came down off a big jump with the tubliss". I am in no way affiliated with Tubliss. but, you have clearly never used, installed, or tested the system to be so mis-informed.
aees
10/30/2018 9:46am
Definetely wouldn't recomend tubliss for moto. The biggest advantage of tubliss is running the super low psi (3-4) so you get those traction gains in the...
BobPA wrote:
Well prepare to be shocked. I know a bunch of guys running Tubliss who also ride moto. You honestly think a 2mm rubber tube is going...
Well prepare to be shocked. I know a bunch of guys running Tubliss who also ride moto. You honestly think a 2mm rubber tube is going to prevent dents in a rim? You can run whatever pressure you want with Tubliss....Not just 3 or 4 PSI. Tubliss works best if you do the initial install on a brand new, or nearly new rim. The small inner tube is below the lip of the rim...Please explain to me how it would " pop the inner tube or dent the shit out of ur rim if you came down off a big jump with the tubliss". I am in no way affiliated with Tubliss. but, you have clearly never used, installed, or tested the system to be so mis-informed.
Your line says it all "brand new or nearly new rim". If you change tire 4 times a year it is ok. Everyone I know has abondend it because it is not reliable. If you do 10-15 tire changes 50% will give you issues ones you have 10-15h on rim or some hours on the tire. The bad thing is, you load it up and think you are ok and the first lap of practice you go flat because you moved the tire a bit.

And Soon as you get a small dent in rim you are done. Riding with tubliss on a flat is just as bad as - running a flat, speedwise. Feels like crap and bike behaves bad, but tire will stick. That is why it has not taken off. Suits the average Joe that does Max of 4 tire changes per year and with that has a controlled environment that is not subject to a lot of variations.

RCF
10/30/2018 10:10am
BobPA wrote:
Well prepare to be shocked. I know a bunch of guys running Tubliss who also ride moto. You honestly think a 2mm rubber tube is going...
aees wrote:
Your line says it all "brand new or nearly new rim". If you change tire 4 times a year it is ok. Everyone I know has...
Your line says it all "brand new or nearly new rim". If you change tire 4 times a year it is ok. Everyone I know has abondend it because it is not reliable. If you do 10-15 tire changes 50% will give you issues ones you have 10-15h on rim or some hours on the tire. The bad thing is, you load it up and think you are ok and the first lap of practice you go flat because you moved the tire a bit.

And Soon as you get a small dent in rim you are done. Riding with tubliss on a flat is just as bad as - running a flat, speedwise. Feels like crap and bike behaves bad, but tire will stick. That is why it has not taken off. Suits the average Joe that does Max of 4 tire changes per year and with that has a controlled environment that is not subject to a lot of variations.

Bobpa is absolutely right plenty of moto guys use them, the system doesn't even use the rim to seal it seals on the tire there can be a huge flat spot in the rim and it will still seal they recommend using new tires but they can be used with old tires (done this plenty times without problems) between tubes, bibs and tubeless, tubeless is by far the best handling system there is . The only negative thing I could say about them is that if you're faster off road Rider you're going to start slicing tires which will result in Flats, last time I checked Motocross tracks don't have too many rocks on them though so it should be a non-issue for Moto. Another thing with the tubeless system if it does go flat you can still ride the bike on it and it actually still handles pretty good kind of feels like a worn-out bib.
10/30/2018 10:57am
BobPA wrote:
Dude relaxxxx. Why are you getting so worked up over the fact that I prefer bibs over tubliss? You can't argue that bibs are the only 100% flat proof setup on the market. sliced tire, busted spokes, doesn't matter a bib is still going to go strong whereas a flat is inevitable with a tubliss setup. I'm assuming you have no experience with these things due to the "I know a bunch of guys running Tubliss who also ride moto" line you started off with. And just so you're aware I'm very familiar with the Tubliss setup...I have a set hanging in front of me right now. I think it's awesome new technology that's come out and they should be commended for it. I just wouldn't trust it on a moto track...too many things that can fail. That's just my opinion though, you clearly feel differently and that's fine. You don't have to let it ruin your day though or take shots, especially when you know nothing about me.
CSAR FE
10/30/2018 1:22pm
Dude relaxxxx. Why are you getting so worked up over the fact that I prefer bibs over tubliss? You can't argue that bibs are the only...
Dude relaxxxx. Why are you getting so worked up over the fact that I prefer bibs over tubliss? You can't argue that bibs are the only 100% flat proof setup on the market. sliced tire, busted spokes, doesn't matter a bib is still going to go strong whereas a flat is inevitable with a tubliss setup. I'm assuming you have no experience with these things due to the "I know a bunch of guys running Tubliss who also ride moto" line you started off with. And just so you're aware I'm very familiar with the Tubliss setup...I have a set hanging in front of me right now. I think it's awesome new technology that's come out and they should be commended for it. I just wouldn't trust it on a moto track...too many things that can fail. That's just my opinion though, you clearly feel differently and that's fine. You don't have to let it ruin your day though or take shots, especially when you know nothing about me.
Are you done shit posting all over vital yet?
10/30/2018 3:22pm
Dude relaxxxx. Why are you getting so worked up over the fact that I prefer bibs over tubliss? You can't argue that bibs are the only...
CSAR FE wrote:
Are you done shit posting all over vital yet?
Don't read my posts if they bother you.
RCF
10/30/2018 3:51pm
This is my tire order from the beginning of the year I change more then 4 a year,lol

Post a reply to: Mousse for MX?

The Latest