Most "economical" way to clean air filters?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/13/2016 7:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2016 7:44 AM

I used No Toil for years which was nice as it was easy to clean with just normal dish washing detergent, but I stopped using it for something a bit more heavy duty - Maxima FFT.

I hate buying the spray cans of cleaner as they don't last long and it gets expensive. Gas cleans these things up QUICK, but then I don't want to be dumping gas in my front yard lol. I have heard of people using mineral spirits or kerosene as well, but gas is the cheaper option in that case.

Ideally I would have a solvent tank (and that may be an option down the road). What are you guys doing to clean your filters in the most efficient/economical way? Gas may be the best option at this point honestly.

|

11/13/2016 7:49 AM

I usually just get single use filters, they're called profilter and made by maxima and are liked $10.

|

11/13/2016 7:52 AM

Kx125rider wrote:

I usually just get single use filters, they're called profilter and made by maxima and are liked $10.

For how much I ride that would be very expensive haha. And I really prefer to clean and change my filter every ride (I have 3 air filters I keep on rotation).

|

11/13/2016 8:16 AM

No toil is my favorite solution. Use to have a big 5 gallon bucket of kerosene but after awhile you end up with a thick sludge of dirt/oil on the bottom. Kerosene isn't too nice on your hands or nose either.

Btw a filter that's been used with no toil will fall apart if you use gasoline or kerosene on it. So if you're gonna switch you'll have to buy new filters.
Also I've never heard of single use filters for dirt bikes, I think he's just buying cheap filters and choosing to not clean them. Huge waste. unsure

|

11/13/2016 10:54 AM

No toil oil and cleaner is the best stuff you will find!

|

11/13/2016 11:54 AM

I buy the big aluminum can of twin air filter cleaner then dump it in a plastic tub. Dip the filter and squeeze all the cleaner back out, the dirt settles to the bottom. I can get an entire season out of a can or 2.

|

11/13/2016 1:37 PM

I have a 5 gallon bucket with like 3 gallons of mineral spirits in it. I buy a box of cheap nitrile gloves from Home depot or wherever. Can use this for a year or more. When it gets to thick with oil and dirt I just take it to the dump and leave it there and start over. They have a drop off for household chemicals/paints.

|

Powerband in every gear !

11/13/2016 3:46 PM

Harbor freight stand up parts cleaner, filled with 5-6 gallons of k1 kerosene, good cleaner, does not have a
Strong smell, removes filter oil without being harsh on filters, peg board with multiple brcts & hooks above parts cleaner, so filters can be hung over parts cleaner to drain off good, then wash filters in hot soapy water & rinse good with garden hose. Been cleaning filters like this for years, my filters last a long time. I have many bikes & the peg board holds all my clean filters. I will post a photo tomaro, rode all day, too tired to go out in the garage! Also use an air tight Plastic tub for filter oil. when parts cleaner gets dirty, drain, clean out sand/dirt from bottom, refill with k1.

|

11/13/2016 4:18 PM

colintrax wrote:

No toil is my favorite solution. Use to have a big 5 gallon bucket of kerosene but after awhile you end up with a thick sludge ...more

Photo

|

11/13/2016 4:27 PM

colintrax wrote:

No toil is my favorite solution. Use to have a big 5 gallon bucket of kerosene but after awhile you end up with a thick sludge ...more

Kx125rider wrote: Photo

Ready to use is not the same as single use.....

|

11/13/2016 5:07 PM

colintrax wrote:

Ready to use is not the same as single use.....

I know. Looked into it and I was wrong, my bad.

|

11/13/2016 6:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2016 6:41 PM

5 gal 87 octane gas/ dump a cheap 1/2 bottle motor oil in the fuel.....then wash it with dawn soap ...keep 3- filters in rotation, have been doing this since the early 90s...never a issue....super clean and my filters last well over a year if i choose to keep them......cost effective and 110% reliable........

|

11/13/2016 6:54 PM

If you live in or near So Cal, I've been using the DT1 Filter cleaning service. $5 a filter and send them to him once a month. I have about 8 filters and they come back brand new every time.
Photo

|

11/14/2016 10:48 AM

I have 3 filters in rotation, use a clean filter every time I ride (like anyone should). I use K&N cleaner and oil from any auto parts store or walmart. The cleaner works great and gets all the oil out, then clean them again with dawn. Been using this set up for years and never had an issue. I only use an air filter for a year though, they are cheap insurance for your bike. Get a DT1 no sense in using anything else.

|

KTM 350 XC-F

IG - @mattman122

11/14/2016 1:30 PM

No Toil here. If you have one or two to wash you can just do it in the sink. Or for more you can throw them in the washing machine with their cleaner and they come out like new. They have the oil now that is supposed to be friendly to all filters as well, No Toil Revolution.

|

11/14/2016 1:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2016 1:43 PM

Forget Kerosene or gasoline, I use Oxy-clean powder and warm water. A 3lb container is under $10 which will last you a LONG time. This only works on No-Toil filter oil however. I believe the powder No-Toil filter cleaner is similar or may even be Oxy-clean. Rinse the filters out after they're clean which won't take long. They come out looking new and filters will last a long time.

What's better about Maxima FFT or a more heavy filter oil compared to No Toil? The inside of my filters are always clean after a ride or two using the red No Toil oil.

On another note, I also use a PC-racing air filter seal which is cheap peace of mind and ensures the filter has a good seal to the intake face.

|

11/14/2016 1:50 PM

I run Maxima FFT and I use mineral spirits to clean my filters. I have a 2 bucket system (3-gallon buckets I believe), and each bucket probably has about 1.5 gallons of mineral spirits in it. I started by putting fresh mineral spirits in both buckets. Just dip the filter in the first bucket and squeeze it out a couple times. Then put the filter in the 2nd bucket and clean it again. The first bucket of mineral spirits will get dirty pretty quickly, but the mineral spirits in the 2nd bucket will stay cleaner for a lot longer. After cleaning the filter in the 2nd bucket I rinse it off with water and then hang it up to dry out. I have 6 or 8 air filters plus a few filter skins and I just clean them all at once using this method, takes me 30 minutes or so to clean them all. Now when the first bucket becomes so dirty that it doesn't clean the filter very well, I drain the mineral spirits out and wipe out the sludge. I then fill it up with fresh mineral spirits and it now becomes the 2nd bucket. I've been cleaning filters this way for probably 10 years and I think I've only ever bought about 6 or 8 gallons of mineral spirits. It's pretty cost effective and you can clean a lot of filters quickly.

However, all that being said, when I run out of FFT I'm probably going to switch to No Toil to try it out for a while. I like the idea of just being able to clean the filters with dish soap and water. I'll probably keep the 2 bucket system going though, it really gets the filters clean!

|

Only dead fish go with the flow

11/14/2016 6:14 PM

What do you guys think of this method?
Maxima Oil, wash dirty filters with detergent to get dirt out, re-oil as required. No need to remove all the oil, just the dirt. Had this recommended to me by a couple of experienced pro riders.

|

11/14/2016 7:51 PM

Mineral spirits, rinse with water, washing machine. In that order.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Yeti SB130LR.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

11/14/2016 10:45 PM

CC268- I know you said you don't use No Toil anymore, but I thought
I'd throw in my method anyway.

Initial cleaning in a bucket to get the majority of the stuff out. Then I
drop them in a washer with Oxi Clean when I go do laundry. Gentle cycle, warm water.
Come out frigging perfect and no hassle. And no, it doesn't stink up the machine or anything.

|

11/15/2016 6:19 AM

chillrich wrote:

What do you guys think of this method?
Maxima Oil, wash dirty filters with detergent to get dirt out, re-oil as required. No ...more

Regardless of cleaning method or product, I would imagine it near impossible to remove all of the old oil. Personally I prefer my air filters looking brand new when cleaned. Once they start to discolor I replace them. I am probably wasting money, but an air filter is your motors first defense from dirt.

To answer your question, im not sure how you would remove the dirt without removing the oil from the filter. If you are washing the dirt off somehow, then you still can get dirt into the inside of the filter and defeating the purpose. I may be over thinking your question though.

|

KTM 350 XC-F

IG - @mattman122

11/15/2016 7:29 AM

KEROSENE, I have never had a filter fail from using it and its much cheaper then most of the can spray options. I have cleaned some no-toil filters up to 10 times with it and had absolutely no problems. It does a very good job of cleaning as well

|

Follow me on instagram: Instagram.com/mxwes

11/15/2016 7:40 AM

If you are cleaning it every ride I would think the spray cans would be very economical and easy to clean. Cleaning that often means you can use a pretty small amount of oil just to wet the outside of the filter.

That should hold up for one ride no problem with any worthwhile filter oil. Then it should be very easy to clean that minimal amount of oil and dirt out with regular dish detergent or a filter cleaning product.

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

11/16/2016 6:11 AM

no toil and done.

I buy oxy clean instead of their cleaner. Money saved there

I actually put the oil in a couple bear shaped honey bottles. This lets me be very "stingy" with the oil even more money saved. I get enough oil on the filter and don't have any waste. I tried putting the oil in a spray bottle but its just to thick.

|

11/16/2016 8:19 AM

MotoTribology wrote:

If you are cleaning it every ride I would think the spray cans would be very economical and easy to clean. Cleaning that often ...more

I'm gonna put you on the "do not buy bikes from" list.
Thanks for the forwarning

|

11/16/2016 8:28 AM

Missing_Muffs wrote:

no toil and done.

I buy oxy clean instead of their cleaner. Money saved there

I actually put the oil in a couple bear ...more

The oil in a squeeze bottle is a good idea! I'll try that.

Last time I did a batch of filters with No Toil, I put them in zip lock bags with 120cc of oil.
At the time, it didn't seem like it would be enough, but by the time I took the first one out
of the bag, it was clear that 120cc was way more than enough. I'll try 100cc next time.

|

11/17/2016 6:57 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys. Some good info here. I may go back to No Toil and try Oxyclean

|

11/17/2016 7:05 AM

MotoTribology wrote:

If you are cleaning it every ride I would think the spray cans would be very economical and easy to clean. Cleaning that often ...more

colintrax wrote:

I'm gonna put you on the "do not buy bikes from" list.
Thanks for the forwarning

Thanks for adding me champ.silly

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

11/17/2016 1:09 PM

I use No Toil filters and oil, but use Oxiclean to clean them, works great.

Tip: Be sure to use warm water.

|

11/17/2016 2:50 PM

DoctorJD wrote:

I use No Toil filters and oil, but use Oxiclean to clean them, works great.

Tip: Be sure to use warm water.

You just use the Oxyclean powder in place of the No Toil filter cleaner stuff? We have four bikes in the house and we go through a lot of it... I was even considering getting the LA's Totally Awesome brand stuff from the dollar store because their other products work so well. Gonna try it after this weekend and see what happens...

|

Sack up and roll with the boys.