Monster front brake set-up

FWYT
Edited Date/Time 10/7/2020 10:39am
Now THIS is a front brake! It’s always driven me nuts that dirt bikes still come with
archaic floating calipers (don’t even get me started on clutch cables) when there
is a better way to do things. Floating calipers are like back in the drum brake days
when they did double-leading shoe drums. Oh yippee!
But it was still polishing a turd. Just make the system better already!

I finally got around to getting one of the smaller Magura four-piston, radial mount
calipers (part #0132514) and then fab’d a mounting bracket out of stainless.
I went with stainless since I could weld it and there was a stock size with a nearly
perfect inside dimension to fit over the existing fork lugs. Also strong as hell.
Weight wise it is only 12g heavier than the aluminum bracket that holds the
OEM caliper so I’m calling that a non-issue. I didn’t bother to weigh the calipers
but in handling them, they felt similar. Size wise, they are pretty close to the same
size with the obvious increase on the Magura unit coming from the pistons on the
inboard side of the unit. The Magura caliper uses Magura pads that seem to be
OK but with so much more braking power, it's hard to tell if the pads could be even better, ya know?

The rotor has to be spaced out from the hub to get clearance between the caliper
and the spokes. I cut the middle out of an old rotor and that gave me a perfectly
sano 4mm spacer (top left photo). Clearance is still cozy so I have button head allens on the the
disk and also on the bracket with the bracket bolts going from the inside out, as you
can see. I’m running a 280mm disk but it would work on a 270mm though I think
the disk would have to be spaced out another millimeter.

Painted the top of the bracket because the filler rod is a blend and would corrode
and let’s just say my welds were not pretty enough for a clear coat. hhahahhahaa

Soooooooooo . . . went riding today and HOLY CRAP! Now THIS is a one-finger brake.
Feel at the lever is very light because if you squeeze the lever hard, you are going over
the bars. hhahahhaha. It is interesting because it occurs to me that with this, you don’t
feel it at the lever, you feel it in your mind with the sense of slowing down. It’s frigging strong.
I'd imagine that many would try it and say it's too strong but I really love just being able to
have a light touch on the lever. Or maybe I'm getting older and my hands are weak. Smile
The only downside is being slightly more vulnerable, by 4mm, to rocks and stuff.

If someone had it together, they would build one caliper that used OEM Honda pads and then make the needed bracket, spacer and hardware to fit the various bike models. Straight bolt on deal. Kiss those motherfugging floating calipers goodbye!!!

FWYT reporting, over and out.

|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
2/27/2017 6:32am
Looks pretty trick! Are those calipers original made for moto? Or street applications?
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
2/27/2017 6:38am
Yeah, that is pretty sweet. I suspect it probably would be too strong for most folks in MX conditions. You're really limited by the traction of a skinny knobby front tire on dirt when it comes to front brake power. Might be dangerous late in a race when your hands are pumped up and your fine touch on the brake goes away.
FWYT
2/27/2017 8:38am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2017 8:43am
Looks pretty trick! Are those calipers original made for moto? Or street applications?
It was made more for the Super Moto crowd back when and they still have some laying around. They have a couple different models and I went for, what appeared to be, the smaller of the two model.

Let me see if I can find the catalog and show you.

The Shop

FWYT
2/27/2017 8:40am
FGR01 wrote:
Yeah, that is pretty sweet. I suspect it probably would be too strong for most folks in MX conditions. You're really limited by the traction of...
Yeah, that is pretty sweet. I suspect it probably would be too strong for most folks in MX conditions. You're really limited by the traction of a skinny knobby front tire on dirt when it comes to front brake power. Might be dangerous late in a race when your hands are pumped up and your fine touch on the brake goes away.
Oh yeah, it's frigging strong. For sure if you grab a handful, you are locking up the front wheel.
But like I say, I really like the light touch.
FWYT
2/27/2017 8:42am
slipdog wrote:
Well done!
Whoa! Gets a "Well done" from Slip...

*screenshot*

hhahahha Thanks, Slip!
rmhrc
8/7/2017 2:22pm
Awesome design - are you making the brackets ? Also what is the bolt hole distance on the magura radial side -100mm?

Post a reply to: Monster front brake set-up

The Latest