Mistiming the crankshaft

six10
So I was tired and working through the night and I did what a stupid does...I mistimed the exhaust crankshaft by a 90 degrees counterclockwise...when i rotated the flywheel by hand, there was no unusual resistence, but when i looked at the lobes on the crankshaft, I saw it was not in the right position when TDC. The dots were left and down instead of left and up. I must have rotated the flywheel by hand 4-5 times....

I took the head down, upon inspection there seems to be no damage to piston or valves, did I do any damage that i cant see yet?
|
Paul_Pitzonka
3/19/2019 3:51pm
As long as the valves didn’t contact the piston you should be ok... set the correct timing and you’re good to go
six10
3/19/2019 3:55pm
Well, thats just it....if you can imagine exhaust cam being 90 degrees counterclockwise at TDC...lobes are facing down...yet there are no visible marks on the piston, the rotation didn't seem too much out of the ordinary....but i dont have much experience and i am worried that i have bent the valves...
Paul_Pitzonka
3/19/2019 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 4:10pm
Do a q&d check if the valves are sealing... pour some thinner or solvent on the backside of the exhaust valves and see if it leaks by the valve...
Hondas4Life3
3/20/2019 5:41am
If you turned it over by hand and there was no binding only your timing was off your okay. As you stated you disassembled to check for damage and if you didn't see anything reassemble with fresh head gasket and your good to go.

Post a reply to: Mistiming the crankshaft

The Latest