Maxima = Another OUTSTANDING MOTO COMPANY!

Rider 5280
11/25/2020 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2020 1:34pm
Guys,

As I am gearing up to get into off-road riding heavily again (was away ~ 10 years with kid/family stuff), I was re-educating myself on oils before I go full hoarder (I do this) and buy the wrong 55-gallon drum of oil. Yes, really, a drum.

Maxima Oils have been my favorite since ~ 2008 when I tore down multiple 2003-2007 CRF450R/X bikes and compared the internal engine wear side-by-side (top ends and transmissions). I was blown away by Maxima Extra 10W40 oil's lack of engine wear overall (which my buddies ran - I did not at the time). I could not believe the difference between Maxima and the top-of-the-line Honda HP4M, etc., I had been using. IT WAS NIGHT AND DAY. I also augmented my personal observations with a call to Maxima to discuss current (then) oil technologies, what Maxima felt was its best oil at the time in terms of outright protection - my main goal always - and it was indeed the Extra 10W40. I came away an absolute believer in the Extra 10W40 and never looked back.

Fast forward 10+ years: I called Maxima right before the 2020 Thanksgiving Holiday break and was forwarded to the Tech Help voicemail that said they would return my call on Monday, 30-Nov, after the holiday break. Cool, looking forward to the discussion. Then, on Tuesday 24-Nov, Paul in Tech Help called me 2X to ensure we connected to discuss the questions I had. DANG THAT IS GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

So, I got Paul up-to-speed on where I last left off with Maxima oil in ~ 2008 and I wanted to know what has changed and what is their best 4-stroke MX engine oil currently. It turns out, Extra is still their BEST mx oil in terms of protection for engine only lubrication applications like the 02-08 CRF450R's separate engine / separate transmission configurations, but they have done a lot of work on developing their high-end Pro Plus Synthetic Race Grade 4-Stroke Oils (all grades) for the shared engine and transmission oil applications that are the standard in today's off-road and mx bikes.

Furthermore, he said if I really wanted to go high-end on my older CRFs on the engine side (07 and 08 CRF450Rs), I could try one of their high-end automotive engine oils (check this stuff out: https://maximausa.com/series-301-ps0.html#!). I was seriously thinking about it, but then logistics reality set in again and I asked a slightly different question: "Running both older bikes with separate engine/tranny oil compartments + new Yamahas with small-volume, shared engine/tranny oils - what would you run if I change my oil every 5ish hours?" His response was that "the Pro Plus Synthetic Race Grade 4-Stroke Oils (all grades) are the best bet between ultimate protection as well as outstanding shifting and clutch performance. It's a compromise when the engine and tranny share oil, but we feel we've really nailed it with this formulation to serve both applications extremely well." (my paraphrased version of the conversation).

So, Maxima for the win again in my book. Their excellent products continue to get better and better and their outstanding customer service is still intact after all these years. LOVE IT!

Thanks Paul @ Maxima!

P.S. In my limited experience riding again this year, maybe ~ 30-40 hours of engine/riding time total, I cannot discern any difference between Extra 10W40 and Pro Plus Synthetic Race Grade 10W40. I also am noticing that my newer Yamaha YZFs really dirty up oil quickly (the ultra small oil volume REALLY BOTHERS ME!), so I'm changing ~ every 3-5 hours at this point.
|
walent215
11/25/2020 1:54pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
Guys, As I am gearing up to get into off-road riding heavily again (was away ~ 10 years with kid/family stuff), I was re-educating myself on...
Guys,

As I am gearing up to get into off-road riding heavily again (was away ~ 10 years with kid/family stuff), I was re-educating myself on oils before I go full hoarder (I do this) and buy the wrong 55-gallon drum of oil. Yes, really, a drum.

Maxima Oils have been my favorite since ~ 2008 when I tore down multiple 2003-2007 CRF450R/X bikes and compared the internal engine wear side-by-side (top ends and transmissions). I was blown away by Maxima Extra 10W40 oil's lack of engine wear overall (which my buddies ran - I did not at the time). I could not believe the difference between Maxima and the top-of-the-line Honda HP4M, etc., I had been using. IT WAS NIGHT AND DAY. I also augmented my personal observations with a call to Maxima to discuss current (then) oil technologies, what Maxima felt was its best oil at the time in terms of outright protection - my main goal always - and it was indeed the Extra 10W40. I came away an absolute believer in the Extra 10W40 and never looked back.

Fast forward 10+ years: I called Maxima right before the 2020 Thanksgiving Holiday break and was forwarded to the Tech Help voicemail that said they would return my call on Monday, 30-Nov, after the holiday break. Cool, looking forward to the discussion. Then, on Tuesday 24-Nov, Paul in Tech Help called me 2X to ensure we connected to discuss the questions I had. DANG THAT IS GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

So, I got Paul up-to-speed on where I last left off with Maxima oil in ~ 2008 and I wanted to know what has changed and what is their best 4-stroke MX engine oil currently. It turns out, Extra is still their BEST mx oil in terms of protection for engine only lubrication applications like the 02-08 CRF450R's separate engine / separate transmission configurations, but they have done a lot of work on developing their high-end Pro Plus Synthetic Race Grade 4-Stroke Oils (all grades) for the shared engine and transmission oil applications that are the standard in today's off-road and mx bikes.

Furthermore, he said if I really wanted to go high-end on my older CRFs on the engine side (07 and 08 CRF450Rs), I could try one of their high-end automotive engine oils (check this stuff out: https://maximausa.com/series-301-ps0.html#!). I was seriously thinking about it, but then logistics reality set in again and I asked a slightly different question: "Running both older bikes with separate engine/tranny oil compartments + new Yamahas with small-volume, shared engine/tranny oils - what would you run if I change my oil every 5ish hours?" His response was that "the Pro Plus Synthetic Race Grade 4-Stroke Oils (all grades) are the best bet between ultimate protection as well as outstanding shifting and clutch performance. It's a compromise when the engine and tranny share oil, but we feel we've really nailed it with this formulation to serve both applications extremely well." (my paraphrased version of the conversation).

So, Maxima for the win again in my book. Their excellent products continue to get better and better and their outstanding customer service is still intact after all these years. LOVE IT!

Thanks Paul @ Maxima!

P.S. In my limited experience riding again this year, maybe ~ 30-40 hours of engine/riding time total, I cannot discern any difference between Extra 10W40 and Pro Plus Synthetic Race Grade 10W40. I also am noticing that my newer Yamaha YZFs really dirty up oil quickly (the ultra small oil volume REALLY BOTHERS ME!), so I'm changing ~ every 3-5 hours at this point.
I’m liking Maxima products more and more as well. If I wasnt sold on rotella as much as I am I’d probably be running their engine oil as well. Rotella has served me very well in the last 20 years so unless the price goes way up I will continue using it. I do run their transmission oil though and of course suspension clean by the case.
Sc1 and the air fresheners are also always on the shelf!
kb228
11/25/2020 3:33pm
I pretty much exclusively use maxima. I think the only thing i dont use from them is my no toil filter stuff. Motor oil, fork and shock oil, chain wax, suspension clean, cool aid, and of course sc1. Im shocked i havent got an sc1 air freshener in my truck yet. I think maxima has the most presence in the pro pits and that speaks for itself. if its good enough for 1/2 the pits at supercross its gonna be great for my mild mod stuff.
Rickyisms
11/26/2020 8:32am
I direct messaged Maxima on Instagram at like 1 in the morning once and had a full on conversation with someone from there for probably about an hour or two. I was sold after that.
Moto520
11/26/2020 9:42am
They took my cal and helped tremendously as well. I use the Pro Plus. The 530mx confused me as to why they have it

The Shop

TooTallJason
Fantasy
979th
11/27/2020 8:47am
Can we see maxima vs motul test??
Or Motorex. I want to buy bulk oil for my SXF, and the Motorex is about twice the price as Maxima. From what I can see the Maxima oil carries all the same ratings and approvals.
Rider 5280
11/27/2020 10:16am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2020 7:59pm
I'd call Maxima. They are very transparent and watch their competition closely. For example, they continually reformulate/refine their products and I know they were very impressed with Bel-Ray's H1R 2-stroke premix oil when I talked to them ~ 2003. They went to school on that and have made tweaks over the years to Formula K2 to meet/exceed H1R. Just ask them about their closest competition - they'll tell you.

FWIW, I made a similar call to the one I described above to Bel-Ray back in ~ 2003 as well. Same experience as with Maxima. I am a super fan of Gear Saver to this day - and use it (but did switch to Maxima K2 when I rode 2-strokes).
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
11/28/2020 4:37pm
I am absolutely a fan of Bel-Ray. Didn't know Maxima benchmarked them. 🤔
I like Maxima too.
skypig
11/28/2020 6:57pm
Great product and service - who would have thought this was a recipe for success?!
Subotai
9/26/2021 1:18pm
Can we see maxima vs motul test??
X2 on this. I love motul but they don’t make a 10w30 in 300V. Will need to switch to maxima for a Honda.

Is pro plus the way to go?
9/26/2021 4:39pm
Damn really? I run the 300v 10 40. Listen to the end of the whiskey throttle show with dungey, couple guys from motul speak about the oil. Ping calls it the sponsor high light or something
Subotai
9/26/2021 6:54pm
I always run the 300V 10w40 but Honda calls for 10w30. What bike do you have?
m21racing
9/29/2021 5:57pm
I use maxima with skf seals. That's what's recommended by the seal manufacturer; so I trust it. It's been good after 10yrs. Also, the fully synthetic racing shock fluid delivers great performance. The suspension clean tops off the list of products I continue to use from the company.
walent215
9/29/2021 8:09pm
m21racing wrote:
I use maxima with skf seals. That's what's recommended by the seal manufacturer; so I trust it. It's been good after 10yrs. Also, the fully synthetic...
I use maxima with skf seals. That's what's recommended by the seal manufacturer; so I trust it. It's been good after 10yrs. Also, the fully synthetic racing shock fluid delivers great performance. The suspension clean tops off the list of products I continue to use from the company.
I love the suspension clean
I use it on everything from suspension to carbs and motor parts etc

Post a reply to: Maxima = Another OUTSTANDING MOTO COMPANY!

The Latest