Manufacture of pistons for SXF

Tedor
Edited Date/Time 8/10/2017 9:26am
Hello Who is the manufacture for ktm sxf 2016 -> pistons? Also what pistons do you guys Recommend for sxf250 2016? Thanks
|
ktm-5
8/9/2017 1:26pm
Cp is who makes ktm oem pistons. I also have 16 250sxf I would and will only use oem or JE pistons. Do Not use vertex!!!
Tom711
8/9/2017 5:36pm
ktm-5 wrote:
Cp is who makes ktm oem pistons. I also have 16 250sxf I would and will only use oem or JE pistons. Do Not use vertex!!!
Ktm oem pistons are made by vertex, not cp!
ktm-5
8/9/2017 5:49pm
ktm-5 wrote:
Tom711 wrote:
Ktm oem pistons are made by vertex, not cp!
U better check again! 2 strokes oem pistons are made by vertex but NOT 4 strokes. Cp makes all new 4 stroke pistons and are oem because vertex isn't high enough quality
Jterry
8/9/2017 8:05pm
When I owned my 350sxf I was told by a well known engine builder that he only uses OEM or CP in KTM's.

And that every wiseco he tried in a 4 stroke KTM lost power.

The Shop

BobPA
8/9/2017 8:08pm
Vertex made KTM 4 stroke pistons for years. My 350 had "Vertex" right on the OEM piston. I am pretty sure they know how to pull it off.
ktm-5
8/9/2017 8:11pm
BobPA wrote:
Vertex made KTM 4 stroke pistons for years. My 350 had "Vertex" right on the OEM piston. I am pretty sure they know how to pull...
Vertex made KTM 4 stroke pistons for years. My 350 had "Vertex" right on the OEM piston. I am pretty sure they know how to pull it off.
They don't make them for ktm 4 strokes anymore
Jterry
8/9/2017 8:13pm
Mine was a 2013 and I never pulled it apart. I sold it with 56 hours on it.

For some reason I thought mahle made them for ktm.
ktm-5
8/9/2017 8:18pm
I don't know what year ktm switched to CP pistons but our 16 is CP oem
Jrewing
8/9/2017 10:31pm
Jterry wrote:
When I owned my 350sxf I was told by a well known engine builder that he only uses OEM or CP in KTM's. And that every...
When I owned my 350sxf I was told by a well known engine builder that he only uses OEM or CP in KTM's.

I built my engine with a wiseco. I made more power.
Tedor
8/9/2017 10:37pm
I have also heard stock are pankl. I think the Rod are pankl too.
ktm-5
8/9/2017 11:41pm

There you go, straight from ktm
BobPA
8/10/2017 9:26am
BobPA wrote:
Vertex made KTM 4 stroke pistons for years. My 350 had "Vertex" right on the OEM piston. I am pretty sure they know how to pull...
ktm-5 wrote:
I know they do not make them anymore. I was just stating that Vertex made them for years with no issues. You are making the ridiculous claim that a company who has been providing pistons for years, magically can not pull it off.
ktm-5
8/10/2017 10:43am
BobPA wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
I know they do not make them anymore. I was just stating that Vertex made them for years with no issues. You are making the ridiculous...
I know they do not make them anymore. I was just stating that Vertex made them for years with no issues. You are making the ridiculous claim that a company who has been providing pistons for years, magically can not pull it off.
Do your research before u call my claims ridiculous. U apparently dont know what your talking about
Jterry
8/10/2017 3:37pm
Jterry wrote:
When I owned my 350sxf I was told by a well known engine builder that he only uses OEM or CP in KTM's. And that every...

Jrewing wrote:
How many hours were on it when you refreshed it? Same compression between the stock and wiseco? You dyno'd it before and after rebuilding it in the same day? Because weather conditions affect things a pretty good bit. Not doubting you just asking.

This guy builds tons of these things and does a lot of testing. I was just relaying what he told me he had found.

Wiseco has a couple new versions of 4 stroke race pistons out now that seem to be better than what they used to make. And of course their 2 stroke stuff has always been good.
BobPA
8/10/2017 6:02pm
ktm-5 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
I know they do not make them anymore. I was just stating that Vertex made them for years with no issues. You are making the ridiculous...
ktm-5 wrote:
Do your research before u call my claims ridiculous. U apparently dont know what your talking about
Your claims are ridiculous.
rmoto003
8/10/2017 6:22pm
Bro, the metal changed. Its more metaly metal. Obviously JE uses the most metaly metal to make their pistons
ktm-5
8/10/2017 9:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 12:39am
BobPA wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Alright smarty pants your so fucking smart why doesn't ktm use vertex in the 4 stroke anymore? They hold up so good why they switch to a more expensive piston? Vertex refused to meet the quality standards for ktm, I'm not a dumbass behind a screen throwing out bullshit that I'm not informed on, like some people. Since your apparently too lazy to do any research yourself I'll find it for u or call ktm yourself so u can be better informed so you don't sound so stupid!
Jrewing
8/10/2017 11:50pm
ktm-5 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
Alright smarty pants your so fucking smart why doesn't ktm use vertex in the 4 stroke anymore? They hold up so good why they switch to...
Alright smarty pants your so fucking smart why doesn't ktm use vertex in the 4 stroke anymore? They hold up so good why they switch to a more expensive piston? Vertex refused to meet the quality standards for ktm, I'm not a dumbass behind a screen throwing out bullshit that I'm not informed on, like some people. Since your apparently too lazy to do any research yourself I'll find it for u or call ktm yourself so u can be better informed so you don't sound so stupid!
Can you get me the direct number to the guys in charge of that decision at Ktm.. I'll call them.
Jrewing
8/10/2017 11:55pm
Jterry wrote:

Jrewing wrote:
Jterry wrote:
How many hours were on it when you refreshed it? Same compression between the stock and wiseco? You dyno'd it before and after rebuilding it in...
How many hours were on it when you refreshed it? Same compression between the stock and wiseco? You dyno'd it before and after rebuilding it in the same day? Because weather conditions affect things a pretty good bit. Not doubting you just asking.

This guy builds tons of these things and does a lot of testing. I was just relaying what he told me he had found.

Wiseco has a couple new versions of 4 stroke race pistons out now that seem to be better than what they used to make. And of course their 2 stroke stuff has always been good.
Nope fair bit more compression, bowls shaped. Plenty fast now..
Only dyno was the uphill long start where I pulled away from two other bikes that'll dyno more everyday of the week than a 15 Honda 450. Nice feeling when you do all the work yourself.
The Racers Choice is a nice piston design. Can't comment on the standard ones.
ktm-5
8/11/2017 12:40am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 12:53am
BobPA wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
Alright smarty pants your so fucking smart why doesn't ktm use vertex in the 4 stroke anymore? They hold up so good why they switch to...
Jrewing wrote:
Can you get me the direct number to the guys in charge of that decision at Ktm.. I'll call them.
Look it up yourself....are u claiming your "dyno run" was a "long uphill start"? Lmao
Jrewing
8/11/2017 1:01am
ktm-5 wrote:
Jrewing wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
Look it up yourself....are u claiming your "dyno run" was a "long uphill start"? Lmao
Yep sure am wanker. When you're neck and neck with two others and grab 4th and walk away I'd say that's dyno enough for me.
ktm-5
8/11/2017 1:04am
Thanks, that's all the info I need from u... lol
Jrewing
8/11/2017 1:52am
ktm-5 wrote:
Thanks, that's all the info I need from u... lol
Lol.
Jterry
8/11/2017 6:26am
Jrewing wrote:
Jterry wrote:
How many hours were on it when you refreshed it? Same compression between the stock and wiseco? You dyno'd it before and after rebuilding it in...

Jrewing wrote:
Nope fair bit more compression, bowls shaped. Plenty fast now.. Only dyno was the uphill long start where I pulled away from two other bikes that'll...
Nope fair bit more compression, bowls shaped. Plenty fast now..
Only dyno was the uphill long start where I pulled away from two other bikes that'll dyno more everyday of the week than a 15 Honda 450. Nice feeling when you do all the work yourself.
The Racers Choice is a nice piston design. Can't comment on the standard ones.
No shit the higher compression piston makes more power than a stock one.
Slosh 112
8/11/2017 6:41am
KTM will use whoever fits the contract to make their OEM stuff, Vertex was has been a supplier and also Wossner, Its also plausible to think that Pankl is the current supplier for OEM pistons/rods with the four stroke stuff seeing as they sponsor both the KTM and Husky factory teams in the GP's and the US.

You can not go wrong with Vertex, Wossner, Pro X & Wiseco. Steer clear of the imitators, measure your bore properly and order the correct size, measure and adjust ring end gaps to suit, drill exhaust bridge lubrication holes where necessary and you will have no problems.

Also worth noting is that CP Carrillo do not make two stroke pistons... they are a Four stroke only company so is Pankl. Pankl also name CP Carrillo as a partner in their company structure, also it is not outside of KTM/Husky's history to have one company supply the 2T pistons and another supply the 4T stuff.
rmoto003
8/11/2017 1:39pm
Id be willing to bet it had way more to do with a supplier/volume/price type thing than a quality thing
Jrewing
8/11/2017 3:32pm
rmoto003 wrote:
Id be willing to bet it had way more to do with a supplier/volume/price type thing than a quality thing
You'd think but old mate Ktm-5 has his tin foil on.
BobPA
8/11/2017 6:37pm
ktm-5 wrote:
Before you try an insult a persons intelligence, you should probably go back to 3rd grade and learn how to use "your and you're." No one will ever take you seriously when you communicate at an elementary school level.

This is quoted from a thread on here. "KTM owns Pankl. CP Carrillo is a sub company of Pankl. I think it was January 2016 that Pankl went from 70% owners of CP to 100%." So it looks like it was nothing to do with quality, just purely from a business standpoint. Smarty pants.

Post a reply to: Manufacture of pistons for SXF

The Latest