Magura brake fade

Edited Date/Time 11/25/2018 12:36pm
I've been having front brake issues that past few rides. I have a 2018 husky fc350. I bled the front brake about a month ago, and everything worked great. Yesterday it faded again, so I bled it at the track. It worked for about two laps, then the brake was gone again.
Do I have leak in the master cylinder? Wonder if anyone else has had this problem with magura.
|
AJ565
11/19/2018 6:44am
My '18 KTM does that too, If I let it sit for 2 weeks untouched I get spongy front brake. What I've found works for me is if I tie the front lever to the grip on my way to the track by the time I get there its hard as a rock like new and works great. I have to do it every time I go ride though and I've bled the brakes every way possible and it still happens.
11/19/2018 7:23am
AJ565 wrote:
My '18 KTM does that too, If I let it sit for 2 weeks untouched I get spongy front brake. What I've found works for me...
My '18 KTM does that too, If I let it sit for 2 weeks untouched I get spongy front brake. What I've found works for me is if I tie the front lever to the grip on my way to the track by the time I get there its hard as a rock like new and works great. I have to do it every time I go ride though and I've bled the brakes every way possible and it still happens.
I'll have to try that. I wonder what the cause is though.
BR8ES
11/19/2018 7:18pm
Many just replace with a late model Nissin cylinder from a Honda. Seems like a lot of folks have no problems, then some do. I have a Nissin on standby.
11/20/2018 4:10pm
BR8ES wrote:
Many just replace with a late model Nissin cylinder from a Honda. Seems like a lot of folks have no problems, then some do. I have...
Many just replace with a late model Nissin cylinder from a Honda. Seems like a lot of folks have no problems, then some do. I have a Nissin on standby.
I guess it was the plunger in the master cylinder.

The Shop

Monk
11/21/2018 6:51am
Could be:
-worn pads
-bent rotor
-low heat index with the brake fluid
-improper bleed
-ruptured line
-bad seal

Because you bled it already (and confident you did a a good job), start with new pads, check the rotor for any bends and inspect the pistons to make sure they are not sticking. I would also check which fluid you're using to make sure it's not old and has absorbed moisture. I would also do a visual of the brake line too...
11/21/2018 7:37am
Monk wrote:
Could be: -worn pads -bent rotor -low heat index with the brake fluid -improper bleed -ruptured line -bad seal Because you bled it already (and confident...
Could be:
-worn pads
-bent rotor
-low heat index with the brake fluid
-improper bleed
-ruptured line
-bad seal

Because you bled it already (and confident you did a a good job), start with new pads, check the rotor for any bends and inspect the pistons to make sure they are not sticking. I would also check which fluid you're using to make sure it's not old and has absorbed moisture. I would also do a visual of the brake line too...
Pads are good, rotor is straight, no leaks in the cable, used the fluid specified on the reservoir lid, pistons are free. I got a rebuild kit, hopefully that works.
11/21/2018 11:38am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2018 11:42am
My bet would be on the master cylinder plunger / seal, replace it all as a kit from KTM i suppose.

Although if you say after being bled it is good for a while it sound like air is getting in from a damaged / loose hose, although if this was the case you would probably see some oil seepage.?
11/25/2018 12:36pm

So the stock part is the brown plunger, the new is the aluminum one. Confirmed the part number and description. To further confuse things, I bought this bike brand new, yet it has a brembo front brake. I thought husky came with magura?
I also thought that the magura and brembo internal parts were interchangable?

Post a reply to: Magura brake fade

The Latest