Luck with ceramic bearings?

Rider 5280
12/9/2020 10:54pm
Any of you have strong opinions either way on ceramic bearings?
|
kb228
12/10/2020 6:42am
Theyre good bearings. We use them as backups in our products where i work. Lower friction but theyre more expensive. In an engine youd see(maybe) a more free revving engine and more hp because youre reducing the friction.
GoYamaha
12/10/2020 8:21am
I use them in my engines all the time, they have great benefits. I was told not to run them anywhere where they can come in contact with debris or dirt, like wheel bearings etc. as you will be replacing them like crazy as they wear out fast.

In the engine I have seen them last twice as long and they are really great at reducing friction. I have been told they will not "lock up" due to contamination from dirt, but will become more "loose". I was told that if dirt did get past the air filter they don't "lock up" and that is another benefit over normal ball bearings.

They are not cheap at all but in my experience with them, well worth the price.

Ryan
FWYT
12/10/2020 9:30am
GoYamaha wrote:
I use them in my engines all the time, they have great benefits. I was told not to run them anywhere where they can come in...
I use them in my engines all the time, they have great benefits. I was told not to run them anywhere where they can come in contact with debris or dirt, like wheel bearings etc. as you will be replacing them like crazy as they wear out fast.

In the engine I have seen them last twice as long and they are really great at reducing friction. I have been told they will not "lock up" due to contamination from dirt, but will become more "loose". I was told that if dirt did get past the air filter they don't "lock up" and that is another benefit over normal ball bearings.

Ryan
What brand do you run and where do you get them? How many hours do you get out of a set of mains?
GoYamaha
12/10/2020 10:36am
GoYamaha wrote:
I use them in my engines all the time, they have great benefits. I was told not to run them anywhere where they can come in...

Ryan
FWYT wrote:
What brand do you run and where do you get them? How many hours do you get out of a set of mains?
I am not to sure of the brand, unfortunately, as the engine builder made the recommendation to use them and I am glad that I listened. as far as hours go, I change them every 3rd piston installed. I change pistons every 10 hours or close to it, so roughly 30 ish hours. It was a noticeable change on the YZ125.

Ryan

The Shop

Donkey Kong
12/10/2020 2:39pm
Unless it's a 125 I wouldn't bother from what I've heard.
Rider 5280
12/10/2020 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2020 3:42pm
Not worth it in terms of noticeable friction reduction for bikes bigger than 125s?
Coughlin639
12/10/2020 8:40pm
In theory they should also reduce heat as well since they are nearly frictionless. Just something else to think about
Talisker
12/10/2020 11:36pm
Steve mentioned on Pulp, they would run stock bearing on Factory Yamaha YZ250's.
Radfonz
12/11/2020 2:50am
Waste of time/money.
Donkey Kong
12/11/2020 12:11pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
Not worth it in terms of noticeable friction reduction for bikes bigger than 125s?
Yep
DynoDan22
12/11/2020 1:52pm
One thing that is worth mentioning is that ceramic bearings have less rotating mass compared to the steel bearings. The balls being ceramic reduces rotating mass by a considerable amount. I built a YZ125 with ceramic main bearings and it spooled up much quicker with the ceramics than the steel bearings. It almost seemed like it had a lighter flywheel how quickly it revved. The lighter ceramic balls also resist skidding at higher rpms compared to the steel balls.
Rickyisms
12/11/2020 3:02pm
I do ceramics for my wheels on my 125 and 150. When somebody pushes my bike they're really impressed how much easier it is to roll.
OldPro277
12/11/2020 3:14pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
One thing that is worth mentioning is that ceramic bearings have less rotating mass compared to the steel bearings. The balls being ceramic reduces rotating mass...
One thing that is worth mentioning is that ceramic bearings have less rotating mass compared to the steel bearings. The balls being ceramic reduces rotating mass by a considerable amount. I built a YZ125 with ceramic main bearings and it spooled up much quicker with the ceramics than the steel bearings. It almost seemed like it had a lighter flywheel how quickly it revved. The lighter ceramic balls also resist skidding at higher rpms compared to the steel balls.
Dan knows whats up. I've used ceramic mains in several 125/144 builds and you can most definitely feel the difference. They are about 2-3 times the cost, but you're only buying 2,so its not really cost prohibitive in my opinion. Now, I'm not sure they would be worth it in a 250 or big bore (mainly because not many humans can ride a built 250 to its potential anyway) but in the 125 class different story. Call World Wide Bearings in New Jersey. Super knowledgeable and quick shipping, I think the bike dudes name is Dave (maybe Dan). You won't be disappointed.
hypermoto
12/11/2020 4:44pm
GoYamaha wrote:

Ryan
FWYT wrote:
GoYamaha wrote:
I am not to sure of the brand, unfortunately, as the engine builder made the recommendation to use them and I am glad that I listened...
I am not to sure of the brand, unfortunately, as the engine builder made the recommendation to use them and I am glad that I listened. as far as hours go, I change them every 3rd piston installed. I change pistons every 10 hours or close to it, so roughly 30 ish hours. It was a noticeable change on the YZ125.

Ryan
So you used to get 15 hours out of crank bearings? Lol
GoYamaha
12/11/2020 5:12pm
FWYT wrote:
GoYamaha wrote:
I am not to sure of the brand, unfortunately, as the engine builder made the recommendation to use them and I am glad that I listened...

Ryan
hypermoto wrote:
So you used to get 15 hours out of crank bearings? Lol
On my 125s I have yet to have an engine failure thus far. I change everything often so there is less of a chance. On my 250F's it was still beneficial for crank bearings to be ceramic and I have ran cranks longer then I normally would a time or two.

On my 125 I have yet to change my trans bearings since upgrading them to the ceramic and so far I have yet to change them with countless bottom end rebuilds. I normally will change all bearings every bottom end but have not needed to change these yet. I can say I have doubled or tripled the time on these bearings without a worry that they would break.
Rider 5280
12/12/2020 2:01pm
Rickyisms wrote:
I do ceramics for my wheels on my 125 and 150. When somebody pushes my bike they're really impressed how much easier it is to roll.
Are you serious?
Rickyisms
12/15/2020 10:45am
Rickyisms wrote:
Rider 5280 wrote:
Are you serious?
Dead serious. If you ever come to FL you're welcome to ride and push the bike anytime! I get maybe slightly less life out of the ceramics vs the OEM KTM bearings.
Tracktor
12/15/2020 11:33am
I would comment but turns out TH Racing just charged for ceramics but used regular old bearings instead. So no idea how they actually perform..............
Yeti831
12/15/2020 11:39am
So from a pure longevity standpoint, do these generally last longer in a 450 than regular steel bearings?

Post a reply to: Luck with ceramic bearings?

The Latest