Lost on direction to go with AER forks

Edited Date/Time 4/25/2022 4:16pm
I have a 2020 FX450 and really just lost on what direction to head with these forks.

I'm 5'11" 185lbs B class woods / moto rider in the PNW

Really want to stay air and make these more plush on the cheap side by doing something like the Ride JBI DIY kit but the more and more I read it sounds like the end all answer is converting to springs and the last thing I want to do is search for a good feeling over and over again.

So this leads me to this post, want to know what everyone thinks is the best conversion for around 1k. I do not want to spend 2-4k on this overhaul.

The coppersmith air/spring combo sounds pretty sweet and isn't too bad on price but leaves the air side the same

Would love some insight and opinions from people who were in the same boat and what they would choose
Poll

Best direction to head with 2020 AER forks

Choices
|
4/20/2022 12:05pm
Few thoughts. If you plan on changing brands at some point just get your AER setup for you and honestly they can be pretty decent. If you plan to keep the bike a long time or just go with another AER bike you can easily swap conversions into new bodies or just swap the forks between bikes.

I’ve had mine done by FC wasn’t happy they went too soft for me and then didn’t enjoy the way they took my feedback. Re did them myself with gold valves and was really happy with them for awhile. I swapped them from
My 18 250sx to my 19 125sx and was not happy with them, got updated specs from race tech and they were better.

That said I rode a few spring fork bikes and forgot
How nice the front end feels with them.

To start KYB kits are more than 1k.

KYB is what I ended up doing through JBI and I am really happy with them. He valved them and everything I did the install myself. Front end predictably is what made me switch. Valving was good for me, I made a few clicker changes and that was it. He also helped me with ideas to help my shock match the new forks even though he wasn’t working on it.

I do miss the ability to add a few psi in the pits easily if I needed to improve bottoming

With that said I plan to keep the KYB kit and transfer to any new AER bike I get. JBI did a great job and I can recommend him for any needs. Keefer just did a pod on the conversion kits for AER if you got the time.
Rider 5280
4/21/2022 7:14am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2022 7:48am
I'd listen to this podcast before deciding ---> Super helpful insights!

RMATVMC Keefer Tested Podcast Show #276: Spring Fork Conversion Showdown
https://www.keeferinctesting.com/rmatvmc-keefer-tested-podcast-show-276…

FWIW: I've had the same experience as GingerSnapRacing with Factory Connection 3 times. Always soft/way off, and 1 time they installed the wrong springs (on a B-kit), so everything was way waaaaay off. I've spent a lot of time on trying to make their stuff work, then started using ENZO ---> Never looked back, they are GREAT.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
4/21/2022 8:54am
It is possible to put a kyb piston in the stock forks. WP basically did this for 2021 going forward. They feel a lot better than 2020 forks. If you know a tuner that can make the 2020 feel like the 2021 then go for it. If not I think wp has the cheapest dual side spring conversion but it is $1300 msrp plus springs. I don’t know if it fits the pre 2021 forks either. If you listen to the keefer podcast he talks about the coppersmith and he liked it. You run half the air pressure you do now in the air side and it doesn’t add as much weight as the dual side conversions. You can also still tweak the air pressure for different conditions.
4/21/2022 9:11am
I gave the Keefer pod a listen and was also suggested to go the coppersmith route by a friend who got his done. With that kit being 1k I am really thinking that's the way i want to go but I still have concerns with the air side internals.

Upgrading the air side internals to SKF glide or KYB piston and then doing coppersmith internals on the dampening side sounds like a pretty good combo but then I'm at KYB internals price 😂

The decisions are never ending!

The Shop

wrc777
Fantasy
587th
4/21/2022 9:23am
The kyb piston should say kyb midvalve piston. It goes in the damper leg. You get the trampoline shim set up. It could be done with wp parts now since the 2021 damper has it.
m21racing
4/22/2022 7:14am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2022 10:41am
I'm doing a rci piston kit install for a 140lb rider on a '22 sxf250. He's light, and the aer setup works well. We will do the factory wp spring swap down the road if he chooses. Also, a cone valve kit can be adapted. I've had good feedback on the sff spring setups. Also, a bladder swap, and 40nm shock spring. If he were closer to 190/200 lb, I would look at some options mentioned before. I have used the factory dual spring / closed cartridge kits as well. I think any air platform works better on the lighter, rather than larger riders.
skyrebel88
4/22/2022 8:53am
pro circuit makes a pretty cool spring conversion cartridge that replaces the air cartridge but it also has an air chamber. I was in your shoes as well and a simple one side spring conversion has satisfied me enough but i think it would be really cool to also have the air with it. Supposedly, this would help with bottom out and would reduce or almost eliminate the change in the feel of the front end as the moto goes on from the air spring chamber heating up.
4/22/2022 6:31pm
I have some experience with a revalved Aer and spring conversion that I could share to help you with your decision.

First bike I sent my 2018 350 Aer forks to Kreft Moto and they added the revalve controls and micro polished lowers. The forks were defiantly better with a big range of adjustability but still did not give a confidence inspiring feeling in corners. The small bump, roots, and rock compliance did improve but just wasn’t as plush as other forks I’ve ridden.

My next bike a 2020 300 I ordered a set of MX Tech lucky carbons directly from Mx tech. Out of the box the forks transformed the bike. Made the front end feel glued to the ground and was really plush. The only down side was the fork stayed low in the stroke and was on the soft side for my liking. I went up a couple spring rates and had the carts revalved by N2D suspension and the forks are now perfect. Bike stays higher in the stroke, still ultra plush, with amazing bottoming resistance.

If I were to do it over again I would 100% order the Lucky Carbons again but from N2D directly so he can set them up plus he has excellent customer service. Nice thing about going the spring conversion route is your able to take them out to sell the bike and transfer the carts to a new bike or sell the carts privately.

Hope this helps with your decision as I know it’s a tough one!
4/22/2022 6:39pm
dalonzo96 wrote:
I have some experience with a revalved Aer and spring conversion that I could share to help you with your decision. First bike I sent my...
I have some experience with a revalved Aer and spring conversion that I could share to help you with your decision.

First bike I sent my 2018 350 Aer forks to Kreft Moto and they added the revalve controls and micro polished lowers. The forks were defiantly better with a big range of adjustability but still did not give a confidence inspiring feeling in corners. The small bump, roots, and rock compliance did improve but just wasn’t as plush as other forks I’ve ridden.

My next bike a 2020 300 I ordered a set of MX Tech lucky carbons directly from Mx tech. Out of the box the forks transformed the bike. Made the front end feel glued to the ground and was really plush. The only down side was the fork stayed low in the stroke and was on the soft side for my liking. I went up a couple spring rates and had the carts revalved by N2D suspension and the forks are now perfect. Bike stays higher in the stroke, still ultra plush, with amazing bottoming resistance.

If I were to do it over again I would 100% order the Lucky Carbons again but from N2D directly so he can set them up plus he has excellent customer service. Nice thing about going the spring conversion route is your able to take them out to sell the bike and transfer the carts to a new bike or sell the carts privately.

Hope this helps with your decision as I know it’s a tough one!
Downside is carbons have been discontinued and replaced with blackjack for the Moto guys. This is why I ended up with KYB I orders carbons but no longer available unless the tuner has them in hand. The standard lucky are available still for the woods/off-road guys. And could be set up well depending on conditions.

For me I talked to JBI and as a strictly Moto guy he didn’t think I’d be getting what I needed.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1106th
4/24/2022 8:42am
I vote KYB conversion, and here's my story why.

20 350 XCF, Vet C hare scrambles. Rode it with stock suspension for '21 season albeit next size stiffer shock spring. My friend has the exact same bike with MX Tech Lucky conversion. I swapped bikes with him for 10-15 min and liked the feeling, but wasn't blown away like, "take my money now" kinda thing.

Fast forward a few months and I got to ride my friends stock 18 YZ250 2-stroke. I thought to myself, if I could put this suspension on my bike, it would be the prefect bike. Had no intentions to at that time.

During the off season I planned on having my suspension redone by a local suspension guy. In February '22 MX Tech Lucky's are on backorder and Carbon's are discontinued. Lucky's were my price range, but no idea when available. So he talked me into KYB conversion. Shock setup to match. I've only got 1hr riding on them due to our spring weather but, wow! Feels so plush, cornering is confidence inspiring. My biggest complaint before was small bumps, rocks, roots, etc being harsh. Not anymore, bottoming resistance is good on the moto track. Very happy with my investment.

I didn't want to spend as much as I did, I do plan on keeping this bike for a while. Other reason is, I did advance this year to Vet B and wanted to up my game. Also, if I get a newer KTM I can swap my forks over, and recover some costs. Closest to A-kit suspension I'll ever have. Sorry for the long-winded response.
4/25/2022 12:04pm
I vote KYB conversion, and here's my story why. 20 350 XCF, Vet C hare scrambles. Rode it with stock suspension for '21 season albeit next...
I vote KYB conversion, and here's my story why.

20 350 XCF, Vet C hare scrambles. Rode it with stock suspension for '21 season albeit next size stiffer shock spring. My friend has the exact same bike with MX Tech Lucky conversion. I swapped bikes with him for 10-15 min and liked the feeling, but wasn't blown away like, "take my money now" kinda thing.

Fast forward a few months and I got to ride my friends stock 18 YZ250 2-stroke. I thought to myself, if I could put this suspension on my bike, it would be the prefect bike. Had no intentions to at that time.

During the off season I planned on having my suspension redone by a local suspension guy. In February '22 MX Tech Lucky's are on backorder and Carbon's are discontinued. Lucky's were my price range, but no idea when available. So he talked me into KYB conversion. Shock setup to match. I've only got 1hr riding on them due to our spring weather but, wow! Feels so plush, cornering is confidence inspiring. My biggest complaint before was small bumps, rocks, roots, etc being harsh. Not anymore, bottoming resistance is good on the moto track. Very happy with my investment.

I didn't want to spend as much as I did, I do plan on keeping this bike for a while. Other reason is, I did advance this year to Vet B and wanted to up my game. Also, if I get a newer KTM I can swap my forks over, and recover some costs. Closest to A-kit suspension I'll ever have. Sorry for the long-winded response.
What did you do to set up the shock to match just a revalve?
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1106th
4/25/2022 4:16pm
Did the shock bladder conversion with a revalve. My Enduro Engineering spring I installed wore through the shock body. So we installed a new K-tech spring with Kreft kashima coated shock body (not necessary).

Post a reply to: Lost on direction to go with AER forks

The Latest