Looking for YZ65 jetting insight

EAmato88
Hey guys. Recently we made the transition to the new yz65. The boy has been on cobras for about 3 years now and is at the top of his class racing ECEA hare scrambles. We have one season left on the 50 but he will also be racing the 65 this year as a secondary event and seat time. The yz65 runs great, except on the bottom. I would venture to say that it runs better than his cobra 65 except it doesn’t have the bottom end pull that the cobra does. As most know, in a hare scramble you can find yourself in some situations that really scrub the speed off and that’s when we see a problem, the bike bogs. Also, dead engine starts are inconsistent because of this off idle bog. I realize that he may be coming off the clutch to quick, before the engine has a chance to build enough rpm to bypass the bog in my experience this seems to be a little more of an issue than a normalcy. I’m currently running the carb with stock needle, needle position, and main jet. The bog seems like a lean bog to me so I bumped the pilot jet one size and adjusted air screw accordingly but I haven’t seen much improvement. What jetting specs are you guys using? Any one else experience this issue? A 28mm carb on a 65 really sticks out to me and comes off as a bit much but what do I know compared to Yamaha engineers? When it starts good it starts great but it’s inconsistent and coming out of slow corners is usually a bog fest
|
barnett468
1/23/2019 6:03am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2019 6:06am
Highly unlikely you will get much more low end power by jetting alone. If he is never going max speed in top gear you could try installing numerically higher gearing. He will likely need to learn to hold the throttle open fairly far while slipping the bejesus out of the clutch exiting turns.you should also consider buying a spare clutch and gasket in case it fails at a race.
Blackjack31
1/23/2019 11:50am
I would try going down on the pilot rather then up. Unless you are 100% positive that it’s lean. I have had bikes bog off the bottom yz 125, and a beater ttr 125 and one was to rich and one was to lean but acted the same. A jet is like $5. I would try it. Just cause it’s a small engine doesn’t mean it should bog. I’ve had plenty of 65’s that didn’t bog at all. Especially not a new one. My little brother has an 04 kx 65 (he doesn’t care to race just rides) and has no bog.
dkurtd
1/23/2019 4:16pm
Not sure how much of this applies to the new YZ-65 and how much aftermarket there is, but if I was looking at making a two stroke a better woods/harescramble bike I would: 1. Look at flywheel weights. 2. Look at a different pipe. 3. Look to see if anyone was modifying the power valve system.

Again, probably not a lot of info on such a new bike of small bore. Like what has already been said, probably not going to accomplish what you're trying to do with jetting alone.
EAmato88
1/23/2019 4:19pm
I’m not looking for more power, I’m looking to clean up the bog off the bottom. I’m aware of pipes and flywheel weights, etc but this bike has a distinctive bog that should not be there

The Shop

digger
Fantasy
3871st
1/24/2019 8:01am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2019 6:48am
EAmato88 wrote:
I’m not looking for more power, I’m looking to clean up the bog off the bottom. I’m aware of pipes and flywheel weights, etc but this...
I’m not looking for more power, I’m looking to clean up the bog off the bottom. I’m aware of pipes and flywheel weights, etc but this bike has a distinctive bog that should not be there
Does the bike bog when you open the throttle quickly on the stand, or only when it's under a load ?
1/26/2019 5:35am
I agree with Blackjack31. I dropped both the pilot and main one size and my son’s 65 runs really well. Still has a slight bog at 1/4 throttle till motor is warmed up then it’s good.
bdavis354
4/17/2022 5:46am
I agree with Blackjack31. I dropped both the pilot and main one size and my son’s 65 runs really well. Still has a slight bog at...
I agree with Blackjack31. I dropped both the pilot and main one size and my son’s 65 runs really well. Still has a slight bog at 1/4 throttle till motor is warmed up then it’s good.
Am going thru a 2018 YZ65 I picked up. Doing a frame up overhaul. Prior to disassembly the bike had similar bog off the bottom but is a ripper mid-top. My questions are: Where are you located (elevation/avg temps.) and what is your fuel/premix configuration. I’ve talked to dads at the track and they say running T2 cleans up the bog and keeping up on power valve cleaning, especially with newer 65 riders tending to load the engine more.

Any and all help is welcome. Also looking for fork oil capacity specs if anyone has them.
Karlsrad
4/18/2022 8:02am
Not sure if you need to keep your bike stock. But when my son had a yz65, I put in a V-Force 4 (I think) reed valve in, and it helped that bike a ton. Also adjusted the jetting accordingly.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/20/2022 8:58am
Post a picture of the spark plug.

A lean bog will indicate pretty well on the plug. My suspicion is that the bike is rich, not lean, however. OEMs tend to err on the side of caution and deliver their 2-strokes with rich jetting.
If you have black or oily residue on the flat part of the plug adjacent to the threads, that's rich pilot circuit.

Here's how to tune your pilot circuit:
Turn the air screw all the way in, then one full turn out. Turn the idle up enough that the bike will not stall. Now, while idling, turn the screw in, back to the original spot, and back out. you should hear it "miss" or stumble in some range of those turns; put the airscrew in the middle of those two misses and you're good.
If the bike dies or misses with the airscrew turned in, but you can turn it all the way out with no miss, your pilot jet is probably too big/rich. If it dies or misses with the airscrew turned out but does not miss when turned in, the jet is too small/lean.
Your final airscrew setting should lie between one and 1-1/2 turns out. One turn = 360 degrees.

Post a reply to: Looking for YZ65 jetting insight

The Latest