Loc-tite During Stem Swaps

Related:
Create New Tag

10/31/2017 9:59 PM

For those of you that know press fits and Loc-tite, which model Loc-tite would you suggest for a stem swap? I looked through the website and could not really see anything that did not show a product mentioning "fills in gaps up to X measurement". I am confused on which would be best for stem swaps.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

|

11/1/2017 5:18 AM

Photo

|

11/1/2017 9:27 AM

Thanks. I see they also have 648, any preference?

|

11/1/2017 9:40 AM

No reason to use a high temp Loctite on a part that's not dealing with heat just makes it harder to disassemble if you need to take it back apart.

|

11/1/2017 12:57 PM

I saw on the spec sheet where it was higher sheer strength. I thought that might mean it's better.

I don't see ever taking the stem out again. It is to swap it into different clamps. I have a lower steering bearing puller and a propane torch to warm up the clamp if it ever needed it.

|

11/1/2017 6:12 PM

Personally blue loctite would be sufficient. Red is very strong it’s self and sometimes IMO is overkill.

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

11/2/2017 10:38 AM

There are more Loc-tite products than "red" or "blue". This is not for threaded fasteners.

|

11/2/2017 12:50 PM

You shouldn't really need to use anything unless one of the parts is damaged. It should still be a press fit after removing it once. Also, once installed, the stem really cant come out. I have used the loctite bearing mount stick (green) before and it worked great. It's designed for tighter fits

|

11/2/2017 2:05 PM

motoracer58 wrote:

You shouldn't really need to use anything unless one of the parts is damaged. It should still be a press fit after removing it once. Also, once installed, the stem really cant come out. I have used the loctite bearing mount stick (green) before and it worked great. It's designed for tighter fits

I agree. I have always cleaned both surfaced very well and put a skim coat of grease on the stem. Have never had any issues.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

11/2/2017 5:12 PM

Exactly, it's impossible for the stem to come out once the bike is assembled. And if it somehow did work it's way loose or come out, you have problems that loctite isn't going to fix.

|

Powerband in every gear !

11/2/2017 6:25 PM

Maybe I am overthinking it. The diameters are the exact same, so it is not a situation of knurling or under / over sized. Each has a large circlip on the bottom.

|

11/2/2017 6:25 PM

On a side note there is a green loctite that guys in our shop will use in light duty instances on drill rigs ect where a bearing has spun in its housing area. It’s a temp fix in most cases but when I got my rm250 used and changed wheels bearings one one seized and was spinning in the rear hub, it filled that space nicely and I have to assume it’s doing its job! Will know once I replace again how it’s held up.

|