Loading a bike in a tall truck

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2018 3:47 AM

Been riding 20 years, never had a issue loading a bike in the truck. Never had a really tall or lifted truck either. Always had full-size or f250’s.

Got me a 15 Chevy 2500 right now. The ass end sits so high up stock, I can just barely load and unload a bike, I know it’s just a matter of time till I bust my ass.

Using the classic aluminum ramp that folds in half that most people have.

What’s some tips? Buy on of those wide ramps so I can walk up it, use a stand, etc?Photo

|

4/13/2018 4:10 AM

Stepping onto a stand is the only thing i can think of.

I use a hitch hauler on my truck. Trying to push the bike up after a long ride day is near impossible.

|

4/13/2018 4:58 AM

I have 2 tricks.

First was mentioned above. I put my stand beside the ramp and use it as a step and then step up.

Second I use 1/2 of a bi-fold ATV ramp. It's about 2 ft wide and gives me more room for error. This wasn't a mod though. I was just the only ramp I had and I'm to cheap to buy anything different.

|

2018 CRF250R

4/13/2018 6:42 AM

Use a stand. I have an f150 with a 6” lift on 35’s. Your other option is get a ramp that is a little wider and ride your bike up the ramp into your truck

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

4/13/2018 8:48 AM

kb228 wrote:

Stepping onto a stand is the only thing i can think of.

I use a hitch hauler on my truck. Trying to push the bike up after a long ride day is near impossible.

I do this with my stand next to my ramp. Like this except using my stand instead of a cooler.
Photo

You can also look for a ramp that Ogio made called a Step Up ramp. They don't make it anymore but you can search CL or Ebay for one. It makes loading the bike a little easier when loading by yourself.
Photo

I've also seen people use large wide ATV ramps that make walking up next to your bike easier.
Photo

|

4/13/2018 9:27 AM

|

4/13/2018 9:56 AM

Some good ideas. Going to try the stand method tomorrow. This is why I’ve never owned a lifted truck. Had I known this 2500 would be so tall probaly would have went with a f250 or something shorter in the back.

|

4/13/2018 10:44 AM

The stand idea is best. Also, park your truck facing downhill so you don't have to push so hard to get the bike in. This is doubly helpful if you can get your rear wheels in a hole and still be facing downhill, as the net effect will be a lower tailgate.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/13/2018 11:19 AM

I've had a few 2500's and always use the stand next to the ramp.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

4/13/2018 11:56 AM

I use a little 3 ft step ladder. Yes its a hassle hauling the step ladder around but i have no choice. Loading is fine but unloading really tears into my right shoulder (old rotator cuff injury) and I need my shoulders as high and equal to the bars as much as possible when unloading and coming down with the bike. Because of this I have been seriously looking into a rear hitch carrier. At home I have a small dirt mound that helps.

|

4/13/2018 5:49 PM

those smart steps that attach to your trailer hitch look great. I have an F250 with 7" of lift running on 37" tires - I definitely could use something like that

|

4/13/2018 5:50 PM

kb228 wrote:

Stepping onto a stand is the only thing i can think of.

I use a hitch hauler on my truck. Trying to push the bike up after a long ride day is near impossible.

What brand hitch hauler? Been thinking this is the way I want to go.

|

4/13/2018 6:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2018 6:15 PM

Ive always used a folding atv one like above for my 2500s. Still steep but plenty of leverage. Stand always seemed way too tippy.

|

4/13/2018 9:57 PM

I have two 7' long non-folding ramps. I just walk up one and use one for the bike. I REALLY bashed my shin into the bumper trying to do the quick step up thing. About two hours later, I walked out of Cycle Gear with two new ramps. I have NEVER regretted spending the money for them. It has been a touch over ten years ago.

|

4/14/2018 7:31 AM

Easy, get a wider ramp and ride it up. Unloading, just put your stand in an easy to step onto spot and let her roll right down.

|

4/14/2018 9:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2018 9:25 AM

I went and bought the longest ramps I could. My truck has a 3” lift and 35” tires so it was a pain to load anything let alone a bike. Biggest help was finding a small hill and backing up to it lol
Photo

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

4/15/2018 9:35 AM

That tri-fold ATV ramp sold at Harbor Freight worked great on my last truck, and it was just over 7 feet high at the cab.

|

4/15/2018 2:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2018 2:20 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

I have two 7' long non-folding ramps. I just walk up one and use one for the bike. I REALLY bashed my shin into the bumper trying to do the quick step up thing. About two hours later, I walked out of Cycle Gear with two new ramps. I have NEVER regretted spending the money for them. It has been a touch over ten years ago.

I do this, but be careful.

My wifes bike idled terribly when we bought it. It stalled going up the ramp at the point when i didn't have enough momentum to get it fully up by pushing and was in a rough spot to get it back down as i was starting to angle the bars over towards the right side of the truck. While i was trying to push it up, one ramp kicked out and i'm on the ground with a bike that dropped on my leg. Didn't feel great so I may look into something else this season.

Up until last season when i started riding again, i always used the ramp & stool method which i've never liked.

My dad uses something similar to the 4 wheeler ramps, just much longer. Makes it easy to ride up or to walk it up, i just don't like the big spacing where your footing could fall in the large gaps.

|

4/18/2018 12:24 AM

They came with securing chains, but I have never used them. They have rubber / vinyl feet touching the back of the truck that are grippy. I usually get a little run and go, then they roll right up the ramp.

Ox-Lite, but I don't know if they make them anymore. They are one of the best purchases I have ever made for dirt biking.

|

4/18/2018 4:25 AM

I always used a stand on the side of my ramp until the one day the stand cane flying out from under me and I threw the bike up and in the truck, my ass went bouncing off of the tailgate and onto the ground. I said never again is this bs going to happen so I bought a 6x10 aluminum trailer and love it!

|

4/18/2018 4:53 AM

ben5020 wrote:

I always used a stand on the side of my ramp until the one day the stand cane flying out from under me and I threw the bike up and in the truck, my ass went bouncing off of the tailgate and onto the ground. I said never again is this bs going to happen so I bought a 6x10 aluminum trailer and love it!

I used a stand this morning for the first time to get the bike in the truck, still room for error. Always laughed when I saw young people using this method, especially when it’s on a stock Nissan Frontier lol.

Trailer is a lot easier, usually I take my 8.5x20 when we ride.

Next truck I will be researching the height in the back. I know on the f250’s you can do a reverse level, get smaller blocks in the back to bring it down, may look into that for my 2015 Chevy 2500.

|

4/18/2018 6:19 AM

How about avoid putting it in the back all together? This is on the back of a Raptor.
If you can get your bike on a standard MX stand. Get the 3 1/4" drop so you can open the tailgate.
alljackedupinc.com
Photo

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler, the only modular hauling system www.sprocketstuff.com home of the Counter Sprocket Tool

4/18/2018 6:33 AM

ben5020 wrote:

I always used a stand on the side of my ramp until the one day the stand cane flying out from under me and I threw the bike up and in the truck, my ass went bouncing off of the tailgate and onto the ground. I said never again is this bs going to happen so I bought a 6x10 aluminum trailer and love it!

oceantrav wrote:

I used a stand this morning for the first time to get the bike in the truck, still room for error. Always laughed when I saw young people using this method, especially when it’s on a stock Nissan Frontier lol.

Trailer is a lot easier, usually I take my 8.5x20 when we ride.

Next truck I will be researching the height in the back. I know on the f250’s you can do a reverse level, get smaller blocks in the back to bring it down, may look into that for my 2015 Chevy 2500.

Way back in the day. I used to get a run at it so the bike had momentum to get up the ramp.
step on the stand on the way up to the truck bed. On this one occasion, a good run at it,
The bike hits the ramp, instead of the bike going up, the ramp slips rotates on the edge of the tailgate,
comes back and slams into my head, right square on the forehead. had to walk around with a big knot
on my head for a week. Talk about funny. Couldn't even lift my hands to stop it. I was trying to stop the bike from damaging the truck.

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler, the only modular hauling system www.sprocketstuff.com home of the Counter Sprocket Tool

4/18/2018 7:35 AM

Wider ramp and walk right up seriously all these science experiments to make it happen are unnecessary and silly.

|

4/18/2018 12:36 PM

I always ride with a buddy and we lift them in together. I’m sure I can get another ten years that way w00t

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

4/18/2018 5:01 PM

Unloading: Stand out side the truck with your left hand on the grip. (If your truck is too tall for this, then forget this idea.)
Put your right hand under the swingarm with your palm up, like you are holding a shotput.
Walk the bike straight out with the rear wheel on your shoulder. Don't try to let it down.
As soon as the front wheel rolls off the tailgate, let go with your right hand. Both wheels will drop to the ground simultaneously and you will look like a complete stud.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/19/2018 1:59 AM

ToolMaker wrote:

How about avoid putting it in the back all together? This is on the back of a Raptor.
If you can get your bike on a standard MX stand. Get the 3 1/4" drop so you can open the tailgate.
alljackedupinc.com
Photo

Some of us have more than one bike to haul.

Also, I think you are missing the "original intent" of a truck, as it was intended to haul stuff inside the back of the truck.

|

4/19/2018 3:24 AM

when i used to load my bikes in the truck, i was able to push them up the ramp and walk them to the cab from standing on the ground. Then id climb up and move it and strap it in.

I used to use the stand method but the pits never have smooth ground for stability.

|

4/19/2018 5:43 AM

KDXGarage wrote:

Some of us have more than one bike to haul.

Also, I think you are missing the "original intent" of a truck, as it was intended to haul stuff inside the back of the truck.

Na, just old enough to avoid unnecessary work.
Reminds me of a an old joke,
2 Bulls on the hill looking down at a pasture full of cows.
The young bull says "lets run down and bang a cow"
The old bull says "lets walk down and bang em all"
TM

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler, the only modular hauling system www.sprocketstuff.com home of the Counter Sprocket Tool

4/19/2018 8:29 PM

kb228 wrote:

Stepping onto a stand is the only thing i can think of.

I use a hitch hauler on my truck. Trying to push the bike up after a long ride day is near impossible.

casper wrote:

I do this with my stand next to my ramp. Like this except using my stand instead of a cooler.
Photo

You can also look for a ramp that Ogio made called a Step Up ramp. They don't make it anymore but you can search CL or Ebay for one. It makes loading the bike a little easier when loading by yourself.
Photo

I've also seen people use large wide ATV ramps that make walking up next to your bike easier.
Photo

I have a tri fold atv ramp like pictured, and I’ll tell you from experience that if you aren’t looking down at your foot placement and you miss a bar it does not feel good 1 bit! Also by looking at your feet you lose your momentum. Either way, I wouldn’t recommend it. Ramp and stand or hitch hauler of some sort.

|