Lo-Brow, Cool Guy, DIY suspension bench

FWYT
Edited Date/Time 4/2/2022 11:07am
Hey all, this topic comes up now and then so I thought I would share my new Lo Brow, Cool Guy, DIY set up for a suspension bench/wet bench. Fluid changes and seals are easy, it’s just the mess that is a hassle.

I didn’t really want to start cutting into an existing bench in the garage and I like the idea of mobile work surfaces so after some looking, I found one of those heavy duty plastic carts on Craigslist for $50.00. Stainless sinks you can get any time cheap used and this one was $35.00. Cut a hole in the top of the cart and just dropped it in. I also cut the big handle that was originally on the cart just to give it an overall smaller dimension.

The vice is probably a little too big for the use but the price was right as it was just collecting dust in the corner. I like the idea of it rotating, too, though it remains to be seen how much that feature gets used. I did shorten the vice handle to make it more compact and I won’t need to crank down on anything THAT hard.

The steel jaws on both the face jaws and “V” jaws were replaced with some Delrin I got in the scrap bin at the local plastic shop for $8.00. A little measuring, cutting and drilling and we’re good to go! Made some extras so I can cut and modify the face jaws as needed as I go and replace if needed for more options.

Originally I had thought of mounting the vice in the middle of the two basins but then thought about it on the corner and went with that. It is mounted to .25" aluminum plate bolted through the cart for a little more rigidity.

It will also work for my “parts cleaning station”, which is really just a sealed container with solvent LaughingLaughingLaughing but all the splashing on the work bench was getting really old. At least this way, the spillage can just drain down to the catch bottle.

Some scrap wood over the basins will let it double as a work bench for working on greasy parts or building motors or whatever. When the wood gets too grubby, just toss it and get another scrap.

When not in use, the cart fits underneath one of the existing benches so it is out of the way, because Lord knows, all horizontal surfaces quickly become storage areas for some reason!!!! I have found that minimizing horizontal surfaces keep clutter down. Now that is messed up, I know. but it works for me! hahahahha

There are still some things I will need to figure out like fork tube/cartridge holders but, as always, it
is a work in progress.

Pretty happy with how this came out and I hope it helps some other DIYers out there.

Peace, amigos!

|
FWYT
3/29/2022 7:59am
Bruce372 wrote:
That is really cool!
Thanks!
FWYT
3/29/2022 8:00am
murph783 wrote:
Oh I dig that a lot. May steal your idea
Please do!
Share your finished set up to provide more ideas and help others.

The Shop

ericgst
4/1/2022 8:15am
I like the idea, but have doubts that it would be stable enough. Those carts are not very heavy, yours being very top heavy and being on wheels would make me think it would move around a lot. Even with the wheels locked, I would think it may move(absorb needed energy) when slid hammering seals or removing tight adjusters. Have you used it, if so how did it go?

I was thinking maybe some weight down low and/or some built in steps to use your weight to hold it down my help.
Kidkawie
4/1/2022 9:28pm
I used conduit mounts on the edge of my bench. Id clip the forks into them to hold vertically for assembly.
FWYT
4/2/2022 11:06am
ericgst wrote:
I like the idea, but have doubts that it would be stable enough. Those carts are not very heavy, yours being very top heavy and being...
I like the idea, but have doubts that it would be stable enough. Those carts are not very heavy, yours being very top heavy and being on wheels would make me think it would move around a lot. Even with the wheels locked, I would think it may move(absorb needed energy) when slid hammering seals or removing tight adjusters. Have you used it, if so how did it go?

I was thinking maybe some weight down low and/or some built in steps to use your weight to hold it down my help.
Well, it is definitely not as solid as bench mount deal but that was known going in.
Works fine, though, as an alternative set up. Slide hammering seals I always do with
the fork resting on a rag on the floor to get more of a solid hit. Hadn't occurred to me
to do it on the bench or in the vice.

I particularly like the multi-use aspect. Doing an oil change on my car and can load all the tools and oil
on the cart and roll it out to the car. Throw the old filter and empty oil bottles in a basin and not worry
about making a mess. Super handy.
FWYT
4/2/2022 11:07am
Kidkawie wrote:
I used conduit mounts on the edge of my bench. Id clip the forks into them to hold vertically for assembly.
Good idea!

Post a reply to: Lo-Brow, Cool Guy, DIY suspension bench

The Latest