Light dusting in air boot a problem?

Subotai
I had a desert race last month and when I was cleaning my bike and air filter, there was a noticeable layer of fine dust inside the boot. The dust during the race was almost unbearable. You literally could not see 2 feet in front of the bike. I've always felt that no dust should ever pass by the filter and, trust me, my air boot and box is like ft Knox. Everything is sealed!

So my question is, is a small amount of dust to be expected in extreme dust conditions?
|
Rider 5280
4/3/2021 11:55pm
The only time that ever happened to me was when running a K&N filter (in Yuma, AZ). I wanted sooooo bad to like those filters, but I could never trust them after that. That said - I've never ridden in the extremes you described. Crazy and awesome!

After that, I started running Filter Skins over Twin Air filters and never looked back. Here's what I am talking about (Filter Skins):
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/pc-racing-filter-skins-p
SilverSpurs
4/4/2021 1:53am
Subotai wrote:
I had a desert race last month and when I was cleaning my bike and air filter, there was a noticeable layer of fine dust inside...
I had a desert race last month and when I was cleaning my bike and air filter, there was a noticeable layer of fine dust inside the boot. The dust during the race was almost unbearable. You literally could not see 2 feet in front of the bike. I've always felt that no dust should ever pass by the filter and, trust me, my air boot and box is like ft Knox. Everything is sealed!

So my question is, is a small amount of dust to be expected in extreme dust conditions?
It's a big problem.
sandman768
4/4/2021 4:59am
If it’s in your boot, it’s in your motor, If it did not go through your filter it leaked at airboot to box junction. I would pull top end & inspect, clean carb ect. For super dusty conditions, you can use a twin air dust cover over your stock filter. I oil the dust cover as well... dirt in boot = bad
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
4/4/2021 7:59am
sandman768 wrote:
If it’s in your boot, it’s in your motor, If it did not go through your filter it leaked at airboot to box junction. I would...
If it’s in your boot, it’s in your motor, If it did not go through your filter it leaked at airboot to box junction. I would pull top end & inspect, clean carb ect. For super dusty conditions, you can use a twin air dust cover over your stock filter. I oil the dust cover as well... dirt in boot = bad
Same here on the Twin Air dust cover. I sometimes use them and oil it and it stops 90% of the crap from ever getting to the main filter.

Fine dust is the exact reason I tried bio oil one time and went back to Bel Ray oil. The bio crap just did not stop the fine dust. It might be OK for places with less dust but just wasn't cutting it here in AZ.

The Shop

blaze 57
4/4/2021 10:11am
sandman768 wrote:
If it’s in your boot, it’s in your motor, If it did not go through your filter it leaked at airboot to box junction. I would...
FGR01 wrote:
Same here on the Twin Air dust cover. I sometimes use them and oil it and it stops 90% of the crap from ever getting to...
Same here on the Twin Air dust cover. I sometimes use them and oil it and it stops 90% of the crap from ever getting to the main filter.

Fine dust is the exact reason I tried bio oil one time and went back to Bel Ray oil. The bio crap just did not stop the fine dust. It might be OK for places with less dust but just wasn't cutting it here in AZ.
I went back to Bel-Ray too after a similar experience with that bio junk. Now I use Bel Ray with filter skin and air boot is spotless.
redduk
4/4/2021 10:12am
It's a very big problem not only to the motor but also the throttle body
Darrin Willis
4/4/2021 5:33pm
Happened to me several times on yz450s 09 and 07. Carbed. And yz 250 2 strokes. No issues ever
Subotai
4/4/2021 6:45pm
Thanks for the responses everyone.

This only seems to happen on my Suzukis. This is in reference to my 2006 RMs. Any clue why only to suzuki? Bad air boot design?
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
4/4/2021 6:49pm
Subotai wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. This only seems to happen on my Suzukis. This is in reference to my 2006 RMs. Any clue why only to...
Thanks for the responses everyone.

This only seems to happen on my Suzukis. This is in reference to my 2006 RMs. Any clue why only to suzuki? Bad air boot design?
If it's only happening on your Suzuki, all things being equal, then yeah it sounds like a mechanical leak somewhere, not through the filter. in other words, if another bike has it's filter prepped the exact same way and is ridden in the same conditions and doesn't have the prob, then the dust is getting through somewhere else. Filter base seal? Air boot to air box seal?
willbilly
4/5/2021 8:17pm
I think filter oiling is the culprit. No spray on oil. Submerge filter in oil, work oil all the way through so every pore is coated. Paper towel over filter and squeeze to soak up excess. Never had filter pass dirt. Only clog when it got too dirty.

Post a reply to: Light dusting in air boot a problem?

The Latest