Kx450 sparkplug stripped

spimx
So I'm sure the plug is stripped. I put some never seize and put maybe less than 10 pounds of pressure on it. Can I go riding tomorrow? Should I put lock tight? I've seen heli coil kits just for sparkplugs. Is this ok?
|
captmoto
5/2/2020 11:41pm
Heli-coils are never good for spark plugs. if you can't repair the threads with a thread chaser you need to find someone to do a Time sert. A decent auto shop should be able to do it but it would be best to remove the head to have it done.
kb228
5/3/2020 11:08am
You need a thread insert of some kind. I prob wouldnt use a standard helicoil. They make spark plug inserts specifically for that repair. Id look into that before any other types of inserts.

As for riding tomorrow, no youre done. The plug may blow out of the hole and ruin your cap. Ask someone about the 2 valve 5.4 v8 engines. Kx450s have way more compression than a v8 does.

Pull your cylinder head and order the gaskets youll need. Measure how much room you have to fit an insert between all 4 valves.
spimx
5/3/2020 6:14pm
I went to practice today and I left a rubber washer off the valve cover and oil shot all over the motor. The bike ran fine. I'm going to look for the thread insert now.
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2236th
5/3/2020 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 11:53pm
spimx wrote:
I went to practice today and I left a rubber washer off the valve cover and oil shot all over the motor. The bike ran fine...
I went to practice today and I left a rubber washer off the valve cover and oil shot all over the motor. The bike ran fine. I'm going to look for the thread insert now.
If you “stripped the spark plug threads” and then “forgot” ’the rubber on the valve cover, save yourself some headache and time and let a professional time cert that head.... the last thing you want it to get hurt from a bike failure because you weren’t qualified to do the work... 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Shop

spimx
5/4/2020 6:52am
spimx wrote:
I went to practice today and I left a rubber washer off the valve cover and oil shot all over the motor. The bike ran fine...
If you “stripped the spark plug threads” and then “forgot” ’the rubber on the valve cover, save yourself some headache and time and let a professional...
If you “stripped the spark plug threads” and then “forgot” ’the rubber on the valve cover, save yourself some headache and time and let a professional time cert that head.... the last thing you want it to get hurt from a bike failure because you weren’t qualified to do the work... 🤷🏻‍♂️
Time cert is the consensus I guess and I'll do it myself. Thanks for the help.
5/4/2020 11:51pm
Are you going to remove the head or are you going to do it like this while it is on the bike.
spimx
5/7/2020 4:25pm
Are you going to remove the head or are you going to do it like this while it is on the bike.
Put some grease on the tap and that should catch all the shavings. Then spray compressed air into the hole should push all of it out. If some aluminum falls in it will just burn at a pretty low temp.
omalley
5/7/2020 8:39pm
spimx wrote:
Put some grease on the tap and that should catch all the shavings. Then spray compressed air into the hole should push all of it out...
Put some grease on the tap and that should catch all the shavings. Then spray compressed air into the hole should push all of it out. If some aluminum falls in it will just burn at a pretty low temp.
I hope you’re trolling...
5/7/2020 11:31pm
Good luck with that. We will see another topic in two weeks why his bike is not working anymoreLaughing
spimx
5/8/2020 1:10pm
Na I'm going to ride twice this weekend then tap the hole whenever the insert comes in.

Post a reply to: Kx450 sparkplug stripped

The Latest