Kx250f help

Related:
Create New Tag

1/15/2018 10:03 PM

Hey guys new as a member but i have visited this site for a while as a guest. I have a question regarding my 07 kx250f. This bike is all stock and has been problem free. I pulled it out for the first time in about 5 months to go for a ride with some friends. My buddy noticed that i was holding the decompression lever while kick starting my bike, i have done this as long as i have owned the bike...7 years now and it has always started. With that said the bike now has the worse popping sound(its always had a little pop but this is annoying). I dont think holding the decompression lever caused the popping but has holding the decompression lever caused any damage?

|

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly"

1/16/2018 1:10 AM

No it doesnt hurt anything. Your pop sounds are probably valve related

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

1/16/2018 5:23 AM

Sitting for 5 months and the pilot jet may be slightly plugged as well

|

1/16/2018 6:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2018 6:41 AM

An '07 KX250F does not have a decompression lever. It does have a Hot start lever which leans the bike out for hot starting. It sounds like it is now leaking and causing a lean condition leading to the popping.

Paw Paw
|

1/16/2018 7:34 AM

Thank you for the replies, I had actually been researching it for a while now and heard "hot start" but never paid attention that they were different. I have been using it to start a cold bike, normally pull it with the clutch and 2 kicks she would start, even in 30 degree weather. I know one member said holding the decompression would not harm anything, what about the "hot start"? Also what is leaking? The hot start?

|

1/16/2018 8:42 AM

Using the Hot start lever will make your fuel mix very lean. Not a good idea for cold starts.

Paw Paw

|

1/16/2018 8:59 AM

traumajunkie wrote:

Thank you for the replies, I had actually been researching it for a while now and heard "hot start" but never paid attention ...more

Yea hot start leans out the mixture. Decomp is fine because otherwise you wont have fun starting it lmao

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

1/16/2018 4:34 PM

It's a steep mountain to climb but if you figure out how to jet your carb right you can rip that thing off and throw it away.

|

RTFM & AYFV

1/16/2018 5:57 PM

traumajunkie wrote:

Thank you for the replies, I had actually been researching it for a while now and heard "hot start" but never paid attention ...more

The hot start lever pulls a plunger in the carb (like a choke plunger) which exposes an air passage to allow extra air in on a hot start. A hot four stroke likes a lean mixture. The problem is that the plunger likes to seize/gall and/or corrode. You have enough strength to pull it open, but the spring to return it might not be able to if there’s crud in there. Id do a thorough carb cleaning.

|

1/24/2018 5:20 PM

Hey guys sorry for the delay but i did get the problem fixed. I rebuilt the carb about 3 weeks ago, figuring this is where my problem was I went and took everything off and was I surprised! I found a rats nest in the darn airbox, Cleaned it all up and Boom she purs again

|

1/24/2018 7:19 PM

Hey guy,

Adding in the ol’ “rats nest” troll. Stepping up the game. Look forward to a new username and troll topic coming soon.

much appreciated

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!