Ktm/husky rear brake fade! Help!!!

ben5020
I put my rear brake assembly rotor,caliper,line on my girls sons supermini along woth the nihilo caliper relocating bracket in hopes of stopping the over heating issue from the stock brakes and I’m still having issues. I wrapped the line woth fuel line to buffer the heat but not sure if that’s a worthy fix, he was able to ride 3 practice sessions before the fluid boiled and basically faded to near nothing. I’m thinking core moto custom line will help keep it away from the engine due to it being too long for an 85, so basically have a line made the stock length for an 85 but woth banjo to fit caliper/master. Was also thinking about a master cylinder extender?.... any help is greatly appreciated!!!
|
10/25/2020 11:36am
Sounds like he is riding the rear brake, try dropping the brake pedal lower and see if the issue goes away.
I had the same thing when i switched from honda to a husky. The ktm/husky rear brakes are pretty touchy and it doesnt take much to drag them wilst riding.
Factor E
10/26/2020 5:43pm
Why are you running a line that is too long?
What fluid you using?
No to the extender, why put it closer to the pipe,thats more heat
Use Motul 600
Take rear pedal off and make him ride-Training, then put back on and see how long brakes last
ben5020
10/26/2020 9:42pm
POWLEY256 wrote:
Sounds like he is riding the rear brake, try dropping the brake pedal lower and see if the issue goes away. I had the same thing...
Sounds like he is riding the rear brake, try dropping the brake pedal lower and see if the issue goes away.
I had the same thing when i switched from honda to a husky. The ktm/husky rear brakes are pretty touchy and it doesnt take much to drag them wilst riding.
He swears he’s not riding the brakes....
ben5020
10/26/2020 9:44pm
Factor E wrote:
Why are you running a line that is too long? What fluid you using? No to the extender, why put it closer to the pipe,thats more...
Why are you running a line that is too long?
What fluid you using?
No to the extender, why put it closer to the pipe,thats more heat
Use Motul 600
Take rear pedal off and make him ride-Training, then put back on and see how long brakes last
Nihilo says to run the stock big bike line... using motorex 5.1 high temp race fluid I believe it’s called.

The Shop

Motofinne
10/27/2020 2:28am
POWLEY256 wrote:
Sounds like he is riding the rear brake, try dropping the brake pedal lower and see if the issue goes away. I had the same thing...
ben5020 wrote:
It's pretty easy to watch if that is the case or not. If he has his toebox on the brake pedal in lefthand corners, the odds are that he is dragging the brake.

I used to have this problem, my foot position was so much forward in left turns that i almost automatically pushed on the brake pedal. Once i knew that i started to move the right foot way back after my initial braking zone going into the corner. Problem solved.
Paw Paw
10/27/2020 7:22am
make sure you don't have too much fluid in the master. This will cause the break to drag, over heat and fade.

Paw Paw
ben5020
10/27/2020 7:27am
Paw Paw wrote:
make sure you don't have too much fluid in the master. This will cause the break to drag, over heat and fade.

Paw Paw
So what you’re saying is don’t fill it and shove the rubber in there and bolt it together? Lol fill only to the line that’s inscribed inside it?
10/27/2020 11:40am
POWLEY256 wrote:
ben5020 wrote:
Id still drop the pedal right down to be sure, the ktm/husky rear brake is so touchy its easy to ride it without even realising. I didnt think i was riding mine as ive never done it on any other bike in my 20odd years of riding. But my rear brake would boil over every moto on the husky until i dropped the pedal then it never happend again.
FWYT
10/27/2020 11:44am
I didn't think I was dragging my brake either, till one time I was trail riding and broke the brake pedal.
Realized I was on that thing like it was a footpeg!!! LaughingLaughingLaughing

Take it off and let them learn about the front brake.
Paw Paw
10/27/2020 12:19pm
A lot of riders do drag the rear break without knowing it.

Paw Paw
Paw Paw
10/27/2020 12:21pm
Paw Paw wrote:

Paw Paw
ben5020 wrote:
So what you’re saying is don’t fill it and shove the rubber in there and bolt it together? Lol fill only to the line that’s inscribed...
So what you’re saying is don’t fill it and shove the rubber in there and bolt it together? Lol fill only to the line that’s inscribed inside it?
You would be surprised at just how many folks don't know how to do this correctly. Most rear break problems show up right after they were worked on and fluid either added or changed.

Paw Paw
mxryan25
10/27/2020 12:42pm
Make sure the pedal adjustment is set right. There needs to be a few mm of free play in the brake lever before the brake actually starts to engage, this is achieved by adjusting both the adjuster on the master cylinder, and also the lock out bolt that sits against the frame. I’ve seen it happen where guys mess with their brakes, don’t get it set properly and burn them up.
JohnMatrix
10/27/2020 1:33pm
mxryan25 wrote:
Make sure the pedal adjustment is set right. There needs to be a few mm of free play in the brake lever before the brake actually...
Make sure the pedal adjustment is set right. There needs to be a few mm of free play in the brake lever before the brake actually starts to engage, this is achieved by adjusting both the adjuster on the master cylinder, and also the lock out bolt that sits against the frame. I’ve seen it happen where guys mess with their brakes, don’t get it set properly and burn them up.
This. Had a buddy adjust his pedal and it was just slightly dragging at rest, so little that it was easily overlooked. A few laps around the track and it had heated up so much that it became locked up.
Rickyisms
10/27/2020 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2020 7:05pm
I was told by a factory KTM GNCC mechanic to run the big bike brakes with fluid slightly below the middle of the sight glass. Before I learned to do that I used have major brake fade regularly.
moore433
10/28/2020 8:45pm
The rear brake on my 150sx is super touchy... You barely touch the pedal and you can feel it grab..
I have had a few times I accidentally hit the pedal mid turn and I could tell immediately.... I’ve never had a back brake that works so well!!
My problem is that 9 of 10 times I’ll drive into a corner and everything is great, unbelievable brakes on both ends, but that last time I miss the rear brake pedal and go into oh crap mode!!!!!

Post a reply to: Ktm/husky rear brake fade! Help!!!

The Latest