Ktm frame repair (welding)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/2/2018 11:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2018 2:00 PM

Hello all,

Today bike maintenance I found a crack on my frame (year 2017 sx-f)... for sure contact with factory via dealer in progress, but until frame replacement I start to think about repairing.

To diagnose the exact material composition is no problem, but the strenght of welding is an other topic...

Any opinion, experience about repair similar crack on dirt bike frame?

Photo

Photo

|

9/2/2018 12:06 PM

That is not a crack, but rather a break. I would not suggest attempting to fix it, but rather replace the frame.

Paw Paw

|

9/2/2018 4:42 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

That is not a crack, but rather a break. I would not suggest attempting to fix it, but rather replace the frame.

Paw Paw

Agreed with Paw, That’s Big man. My engine hanger cracked so it was rewelded. I wouldn’t mess around with a head tube crack like that.

|

9/2/2018 6:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/2/2018 6:17 PM

WOW ! As mentioned by Paw. I would also highly recommend against repairing it since the break is at a crucial structural point.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

9/2/2018 6:21 PM

Donot touch frame, if warrantied , KTM will want the old frame...

|

9/2/2018 7:01 PM

Dont bother trying to fix it

|

9/2/2018 7:15 PM

I'm a steel fabricator and welder by trade..all different alloys, 27 years experience. I concur with PawPaw and the other posters. Do not attempt to fix it. The big concern is creating a brittle zone where the weld is. It'll be in a place the design doesn't account for.

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography

9/2/2018 7:23 PM

You can't just weld the crack and fix it because it's probably cracked under the gusset. We have a guy here that builds stock car frames that could repair it, but it would require grinding off the gusset welding up the head tube and making a new gusset that wraps around the front more like the 19s. Unless you have someone like that could basically build you a frame if needed, I would replace it with a new one.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

9/2/2018 10:53 PM

Buy some Lottery Tickets - your good luck might just be still around.

You are a lucky man in your bad luck - in that the front end hasn't come clean off. That's a break, with considerable separation, that will almost certainly be through to the tubing underneath the gusset.

It could be repaired, and safely, by the right fabricator, but if you've a chance at Warranty, leave it alone and wait for your new frame.

|

9/3/2018 7:50 AM

Rather ironic that I mentioned making the material brittle in a place where it isn't accounted for...since that crack appears to have started right in the heat affected zone at the toeline of the weld. Further, seeing that separation leads me to think that the steering head is no longer correctly aligned with the rest of the frame.

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography

9/3/2018 9:04 AM

How many hours on your bike?

Also, would not repair either.

|

9/3/2018 10:25 AM

Thank you the advices guys, I am really appreciate it.

53hours in the bike, no crash, no any high impact, no other parts damaged...I just notice the "crack" after washing.

|

9/3/2018 10:47 AM

Beginning to think KTM frames are becoming wear items... Glad you caught it before disaster. 53 hours is nothing.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

9/3/2018 11:55 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Beginning to think KTM frames are becoming wear items... Glad you caught it before disaster. 53 hours is nothing.

Agreed. This problem is all too common with KTM.

|